Cost No Object: Free Weights and Gym Equipment, the BEST OF THE BEST

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
They do work, and any exercise is better than none... as long as you're not injuring yourself! For someone who has rarely to never done resistance training 1x a week over 6 months will make a massive difference.

I'd also put it out there that the best thing you can do, especially as an older male, is simply squats and deadlifts. IMO they stress the body in ways most other lifts do not.

IMO, any male over 40 should be doing resistance training, yoga and cardio at least once a week.

Yes, my point is do resistance training properly. Someone who has never done training as in your example should do so only under supervision. Squats and deadlifts are great but both novice and experts for different reasons injure themselves with those two. Fyi, audiophile bill squats over 200kg and deadlifts way more. Ask him about injuries and training.

The problem with all these toys is that it gives people the false impression they are exercising, when they should be actually exercising properly. those who say any exercise is better than nine invariably ends up doing one day a week. If you are good at exercise and have been doing it for years, great. If you are not, spend on a trainer in a proper gym.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Yes, my point is do resistance training properly. Someone who has never done training as in your example should do so only under supervision. Squats and deadlifts are great but both novice and experts for different reasons injure themselves with those two. Fyi, audiophile bill squats over 200kg and deadlifts way more. Ask him about injuries and training.

The problem with all these toys is that it gives people the false impression they are exercising, when they should be actually exercising properly. those who say any exercise is better than nine invariably ends up doing one day a week. If you are good at exercise and have been doing it for years, great. If you are not, spend on a trainer in a proper gym.

I agree about a trainer if you've never done resistance training. It's important to do it without injuring yourself and to have a program that works for your goals.

When you get into doing 200+ kg deadlifts you're only training for bodybuilding and/or powerlifting. Very few people have any use for DLs more than 1.5x bodyweight imo. Lifting heavy is not recommended by almost every MD you'll find and significantly increases your chances of injury. A couple years ago I had a major injury and this is from the nation's best Orthos who specialize in helping athletes recover. Lifting heavy and it's associated risks have little to no relation to the way most folks are going to be lifting. I can DL 1.5x my bodyweight 5 reps, this is more than enough strength for just about any sport you might want to participate in, and achieving more strength is not worth the risk and is a waste of my time.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I agree with you.

Reactions: DaveC

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I'd also put it out there that the best thing you can do, especially as an older male, is simply squats and deadlifts. IMO they stress the body in ways most other lifts do not.

Dave,

I do more than you suggest but one of the exercises I do on the Total Gym is their version of "leg squats". Platform is in the "middle" position. 30 reps both legs and 30 reps on each individual leg. I also have 12 lb. dumb bells and do 60 reps total (in four intervals) of curl and lift. In addition, I also use a "hand grip / wrist strengthener" and do 80 reps total In four intervals. This strengthens the fingers, hands, wrist, and forearms and will hopefully keep osteo arthritis in my hands at bay. This type of arthritis is very common as one ages. Good stuff and I took it in stages (rep numbers) so I didn't hurt myself.

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Imho most folks would be better to learn
I agree about a trainer if you've never done resistance training. It's important to do it without injuring yourself and to have a program that works for your goals.

When you get into doing 200+ kg deadlifts you're only training for bodybuilding and/or powerlifting. Very few people have any use for DLs more than 1.5x bodyweight imo. Lifting heavy is not recommended by almost every MD you'll find and significantly increases your chances of injury. A couple years ago I had a major injury and this is from the nation's best Orthos who specialize in helping athletes recover. Lifting heavy and it's associated risks have little to no relation to the way most folks are going to be lifting. I can DL 1.5x my bodyweight 5 reps, this is more than enough strength for just about any sport you might want to participate in, and achieving more strength is not worth the risk and is a waste of my time.

Hi Dave,

I tend to agree with the sentiment of what you have written.

As it happens, like hifi, I personally don’t subscribe to absolute numbers like 200kg+ although I get the “meaning.” I can deadlift 200kg anywhere from 10-20 reps depending on time of year (depends on current training cycle goals etc). For me, that number isn’t one that causes particular issues because I have trained for many years and have fortunate leverages for deads.

Lifting 150kg deadlifts would probably cause me more issues as I would end up doing super high reps lol. High rep deads is a big no no yet high rep squats at 1.5 is fantastic. The dead has quite a nasty torque transfer due to the weight being out front so high reps are not cool.

Anyway - enjoy the training. I am of the philosophy that doing “something” is always better than nothing. Consistency typically separates the good from great as one starts to get serious in lifting :)

Cheers

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave,

I do more than you suggest but one of the exercises I do on the Total Gym is their version of "leg squats". Platform is in the "middle" position. 30 reps both legs and 30 reps on each individual leg. I also have 12 lb. dumb bells and do 60 reps total (in four intervals) of curl and lift. Good stuff and I took it in stages (rep numbers) so I didn't hurt myself.

Nice! I advocate for squats and deads for the stress, with some recent studies saying it increases testosterone and makes for an overall "younger" body. To get this benefit you do need to increase weight to the point you get a particular reaction from your body, once you get to that point it's unmistakable, like a jolt of electricity... It'll be different for everyone but I'd experiment with increasing weight and decreasing volume. Not permanently as I also think mixing up rep ranges is also beneficial for many people. I generally don't go under 5 reps on deads or squats though, it feels like it's just too much, but my body type tends towards being good at high weight/low reps.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dave,

I do more than you suggest but one of the exercises I do on the Total Gym is their version of "leg squats". Platform is in the "middle" position. 30 reps both legs and 30 reps on each individual leg. I also have 12 lb. dumb bells and do 60 reps total (in four intervals) of curl and lift. In addition, I also use a "hand grip / wrist strengthener" and do 80 reps total In four intervals. This strengthens the fingers, hands, wrist, and forearms and will hopefully keep osteo arthritis in my hands at bay. This type of arthritis is very common as one ages. Good stuff and I took it in stages (rep numbers) so I didn't hurt myself.

Are these squats with a fixed bar or a free bar

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Imho most folks would be better to learn

Hi Dave,

I tend to agree with the sentiment of what you have written.

As it happens, like hifi, I personally don’t subscribe to absolute numbers like 200kg+ although I get the “meaning.” I can deadlift 200kg anywhere from 10-20 reps depending on time of year (depends on current training cycle goals etc). For me, that number isn’t one that causes particular issues because I have trained for many years and have fortunate leverages for deads.

Lifting 150kg deadlifts would probably cause me more issues as I would end up doing super high reps lol. High rep deads is a big no no yet high rep squats at 1.5 is fantastic. The dead has quite a nasty torque transfer due to the weight being out front so high reps are not cool.

Anyway - enjoy the training. I am of the philosophy that doing “something” is always better than nothing. Consistency typically separates the good from great as one starts to get serious in lifting :)

Cheers

Yeah, I agree... % bodyweight is better but most folks are never going to come close to a 200 kg lift of any type. I probably never will, I'm already mid 40's and I feel like I can't push past the weight I can do at about 5 reps. For deads that's about 135 kg... 200 kg at 10-20 reps is amazing! I haven't done back squats in a while because of a shoulder injury but I do front squats around 100 kg. I lift mainly to be better at mt biking and overall health so I'm ok with staying where I'm at. I've injured myself on my bike enough, don't need lifting injuries too! :)

I also think something is better than nothing as long as you're not hurting yourself.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think free weights and body weight exercises (chin-ups, pull-ups, push-ups, etc.) are the most effective, dual-pulley machines are moderately effective and single-muscle machines (e.g., Nautilus-type machines) are the least effective. All of these alternatives are available in public gyms, and all of them can be installed in home gyms. I think it is more about discipline than location. So the location seems irrelevant to me.

I was a member of Equinox for many years, and I think it is a very good gym. I think a technically less effective regimen one actually adheres to and performs is better exercise than a more technically effective regimen one does not adhere to.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Are these squats with a fixed bar or a free bar

You need to look at how the Total Gym works. There are no bars per se. It's a sliding platform with cable and other attachments. You increase the resistance for all the exercise options by raising the platform. This is the model I have.

total-gym-xls

Here's one of many Utube videos.

watch

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
My current training philosophy involves a hybrid of kettlebells, clubbells, chins, squats, axle presses (various). These tools keep it interesting, keep me strong, and work in a very broad range of planes - actually more than almost all training achieves.

Reactions: Rob181

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
When did “kettlebells” become a “thing”? Were they a fad from a few years ago which actually gained traction and stuck around?

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Reminds me of the Fight Club movie quote, " self improvement is masturbation " as Brad Pitt said standing there with a full six-pack of abs.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
When did “kettlebells” become a “thing”? Were they a fad from a few years ago which actually gained traction and stuck around?

They were a thing since before you and I were alive Ron lol. One of the oldest training tools there are. Do some reading of the old time strongmen from the past...

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Here is the famous Sig Klein - the press that then took his name:

C9BA6AA0-3B93-4DEC-A214-1460E25ADC01.png

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
They were a thing since before you and I were alive Ron lol. One of the oldest training tools there are. Do some reading of the old time strongmen from the past...

Interesting. Thank you, Bill.

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
My current training philosophy involves a hybrid of kettlebells, clubbells, chins, squats, axle presses (various). These tools keep it interesting, keep me strong, and work in a very broad range of planes - actually more than almost all training achieves.

HI AB...would you be kind enough to share an actual workout. I am looking to break up my gym routine & have no idea about kettle bell or club bell routines & I have never heard of an axle press...PM is fine so this thread does not get any further polluted...really appreciate your help...thank you...

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Rob,

Of course - will PM now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing