MSB Diamond DAC lV Vs, Pass Labs XS-150

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
What a comparo eh ? :p
Here's my quandry....All my favorite music I have both on Vinyl/Tape and CD/Hi-Rez files. Quite honestly analog is my choice when it comes to these selections 99% of the time. I also have a ton of live recorded (CD & Hi-Rez) both from soundboard and audience front of board taping. The MSB stack is close to $50k, the Pass amps can probably be had for that amount. I can't do both. I'm leaning toward the amps as a better value vs the digital upgrade...Thoughts ?

Signed,

MSB Cold Feet ;)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Selfishly, I would love for you to get the amps so I can get first hand knowledge of how they sound. If you are trading in your current amps, would that bring down the cost of the XS-150's? I do have a friend who wil be trying out an MSB stack late this or next week and know of a few other guys who love their MSB stacks!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi Joe,

I can trade in my XA-100.5's...doing so, I think I can get to the magic $40k number...what a bargain...lol
The emotional side says get the SOTA digi stack, yet I ask myself...do I grab the CD or the vinyl. To me, I think I answered my own question. If ultimate fidelity is what I am after, the amps make more sense based on my preferred media.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Joe,

I can trade in my XA-100.5's...doing so, I think I can get to the magic $40k number...what a bargain...lol
The emotional side says get the SOTA digi stack, yet I ask myself...do I grab the CD or the vinyl. To me, I think I answered my own question. If ultimate fidelity is what I am after, the amps make more sense based on my preferred media.

I personally think the amps are the way to go. Digital is always changing and if you go to the analog first, the amps do make more sense. I am slowly leaning towards the MSB stack myself and I don't do analog, unfortunately.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Sometimes I say to myself...this is crazy...if I had to replace my system msrp, it's a 1/4 million bucks...then again, I have no children...reminds of the song by the Allman's..."You Can't Take It with You". Enjoy now, life is short. What a justification !!! Works too well I'm afraid.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Sometimes I say to myself...this is crazy...if I had to replace my system msrp, it's a 1/4 million bucks...then again, I have no children...reminds of the song by the Allman's..."You Can't Take It with You". Enjoy now, life is short. What a justification !!! Works too well I'm afraid.

I totally agree. It really is my only vice. Some great music late at night and I am transported to another place and time. I love it. With the way things are going, either spend it now or get it taxed and ripped out of you. At least you'll have the gear. :)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hey Joe, if you're ever in upstate, NY.. PM me for my phone if you want to swing by for a listen. I expect to grow big enough ballz at some point next week to work out a deal on the XS amps.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hey Joe, if you're ever in upstate, NY.. PM me for my phone if you want to swing by for a listen. I expect to grow big enough ballz at some point next week to work out a deal on the XS amps.

Thats what I'm talking about :D. I sincerely appreciate the invite. I may have to take a ride to Audio Classics in the near future. I'l have to look at a map and see what's up. I went to college in Rochester, so I might be familiar with some of the roads.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Xs

These are Pass Laboratories ultimate expression of Power Amplifiers the perfect blend of science and visceral emotion.

The successor to our already lavishly praised and well regarded Supersymmetry patent. Every technical effort has been made to assure exceptional specifications, among these:

•Separate chassis for lower electromagnetic noise
•Power supplies with greatly enhanced storage capacitance
•Banks of redundantly parallel high speed / soft recovery rectifiers
•Improved high frequency noise filters
•Larger / quieter transformers
•Improved passive decoupling
•Lower power standby
•Input impedances of 200 k-ohm balanced with negligible capacitance

These amplifiers will drive any load, while being driven from any source. If there’s a more emotionally satisfying amplifier anywhere, we’re not aware of it.

:cool:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I graduated from RIT in 1987...I'm 30 minutes north of Albany...4 miles from the horse track...

Wow! What a small world. I was supposed to graduate RIT in 1986 but did not officially get my diploma until 1988. I am honored to be invited. Thanks!

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
I totally agree. It really is my only vice. Some great music late at night and I am transported to another place and time. I love it. With the way things are going, either spend it now or get it taxed and ripped out of you. At least you'll have the gear. :)

Just wondering since I'm not familiar with US tax laws, unless your allowed to deduct audio equipment purchases from your income tax, the funds used to purchase audio gear come from disposable but previously taxed income, right?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I would wait on buying state of the art Pass amplifiers to see if he brings the SIT transistor into the Pass lineup. The difference is really substantial. You might shoot Nelson an email on the subject.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I would wait on buying state of the art Pass amplifiers to see if he brings the SIT transistor into the Pass lineup. The difference is really substantial. You might shoot Nelson an email on the subject.

I totally forgot about the SIT transistor. Great point.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Reading an Italian forum I used to write on, I've learnt about the experience of a forumer who ended to purchase a MSB, base version (no diamonds nor sapphires...) with the Galaxy clock option.

He said the differences between the various versions of the DAC, to his hears and in his system, were not acknowledgeable... instead, he found that the clock option brought the DAC performance to a real higher level.
That configuration could be around 20k, still lots of money (specially on a digital source) but way less than 50k...

I'm not aware about technology upgrades on Pass amplification transistors, but if I had to spend 50k in audio I'd rather spend them on an amplification set rather than on a digital source. Rigorously IMHO :)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY

I have a feeling the SIT transistor amps of 100-300 wpc may be a long way off because if I recall correctly, the first amps to use it consume 200 watts for 10 wpc output.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
No SIT's are not going to hold me up with my decision. This amp is their SOTA that was 3 years in development. I don't see a replacement coming out anytime soon.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I have to believe the XS-150/300 sound pretty awesome!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing