Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Good point Amir.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Amir's point is a generalised point about digital audio & jitter but it doesn't set out to explain:
- how a USB cable causes jitter
- how a USB cable that connects a USB to SPDIF converter (signal still digital) might effect the final audio signal

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
Don't mean to complicate your shootout process but I've been using Acoustic Revive USB cables for several months now and cannot say enough good things about them. They have 2 models both of which go to pretty extensive lengths to separate power and signal, the SP version has 2 USB connectors at the output side. Anyway, if you can add them to your shootout it would be interesting. I also think very highly of the Nordost Blue Heaven USB which sounds dramatically different than the Acoustic Revive but still very very good. Thanks for posting the thread, look forward to your findings.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Don't mean to complicate your shootout process but I've been using Acoustic Revive USB cables for several months now and cannot say enough good things about them. They have 2 models both of which go to pretty extensive lengths to separate power and signal, the SP version has 2 USB connectors at the output side. Anyway, if you can add them to your shootout it would be interesting. I also think very highly of the Nordost Blue Heaven USB which sounds dramatically different than the Acoustic Revive but still very very good. Thanks for posting the thread, look forward to your findings.

I also looked at the Acoustic Revive cables during a problematic time with the setup of my computer/server. The premise is interesting and begs a few questions. Although the power lead and signal lead are separate at the output, they join together at the distal end at the DAC. Does the science support the parallel-run interference (of the power and signal wires) being far more deleterious than the presence of both power and signal at the DAC input?

Lee

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The data is digital. But the DAC which converts them to analog needs one more thing: timing. Without it doesn't know at what rate it should send out the samples. The timing unfortunately is conveyed using the waveform shape which is analog in nature and hence subject to variability. Here is an article I wrote for Widescreen Review which explains this in more detail: http://www.madronadigital.com/Library/DigitalAudioJitter.html

When used for computer data the final target is just the bits and so timing variations do not matter (up to the failure point).

It is digital all the way to your computer so its timing matters not. It only matters at the point you try to convert it to analog. And that does not happen in the rest of the chain upstream.

Amir's point is a generalised point about digital audio & jitter but it doesn't set out to explain:
- how a USB cable causes jitter
- how a USB cable that connects a USB to SPDIF converter (signal still digital) might effect the final audio signal

I have the same questions.

If you're using a USB cable between components, the signal is STILL digital in the USB cable. The signal doesn't get converted to analog until it is well inside the circuitry of the component.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

If you're using a USB cable between components, the signal is STILL digital in the USB cable. The signal doesn't get converted to analog until it is well inside the circuitry of the component.

Gary, have you tried different USB cables? They really do sound different.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com

I believe that although the signal is in digital format, it is represented through the cable as an analog waveform (like a square wave) to depict the "0" and the "1" for each bit. The shape of the wave (ideally with zero rise time and zero decay with a flat top) is never perfect. The distance between the zeroes and ones is also variable (jitter) and can cause a misread value. These inaccuracies matter when their magnitude, and possibly a combination of these imperfections, causes the DAC to be unable to correctly interpret the represented value.

I'm sure that our resident experts will correct any/all of the above if I'm deluded!

Lee

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

I'm not answering for Amir but my take on a possible mechanism for this is that noise riding on the digital line (which has no effect on the interpretation of the bits) or anything that generates noise on the digital line gets through to the D/A stage & can have an influence there.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Amir will answer for himself but I'll add a couple of comments:

1. A USB cable with improper impedance, poor connectors, and/or limited bandwidth can add jitter to the signal, and deterministic jitter which I think is more important than random.

2. IME the biggest problem with USB cables in general (assuming asynchronous operation) is that they provide a noise conduction path from PC to audio through the ground, and in some cases the power wire (if used). The ground noise can be coupled into the audio signal path. Galvanic isolation can help a lot.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Exact same conditions exist for S/PDIF. You do believe in jitter existing there. Yes?

Even if USB is used, the target clock needs to track its rate. The host is in charge and how fast it sends out the samples must be the rate at which the DAC follows.

The larger problem with USB is not that but the buffering segments (I wrote the previous response because of the generic comment you made that digital data cannot vary analog output of a DAC). The USB transport will send a block of data, and then go fetch the next. That causes a glitch during that period. A great case study of it is here: http://www.eetimes.com/design/audio...l-memoir-of-engineering-heartache-and-triumph

As you see there, the DAC was designed without regard to jitter induced by USB rebuffering. The result was this:

"“At such a time it is human nature to want various people to see (hear) the result, so we demonstrated it to all of those purported to be 'Golden Ears.' The audio signal came through the PCM1716, a DAC with an industry-wide reputation, and the PLL as the PLL1700, which has excellent C/N performance.” When the guys in charge listened to the prototype I saw dubious faces and was asked a variety of questions such as "Is the source coming from the PC corrupted?" In the end I was told to measure the audio performance. When I announced the results in a subsequent meeting I was told the distortion was an order of magnitude too high; the THD+N was 0.03%.”

“I went into this thinking "Since we are processing digital signals, we can expect good sound as a matter of course, and from here on we are dealing with digital!" So this experience was a real shock.”

Upon Raising the FFT Resolution . . . A 100 Hz Monster Appeared!
Next, in order to investigate the skirt around the fundamental, I decided to increase the FFT resolution to a higher setting than I usually use. Naturally it took longer to make the measurement. After a wait time that would best be measured in a fractions of an hour, I was amazed at the FFT analyzer's output graph. The measured FFT is shown in Figure 9:

“Even for a sample rate of 44.1 kHz, the USB isochronous mode packets have a period of 1 ms (1 kHz). In order to distribute 44.1 kHz across 1 ms intervals, one 45-sample packet is sent for every nine 44-sample packets. The tracking pulse (as we will call it here) for every 45 sample packet occurs once every 10 packets, or with a frequency of 100 Hz. Since the PLL loop filter, a so-called low pass filter, has its corner in the tens of kHz range, this 100 Hz tracking pulse goes right on through and shows up on the PLL's VCO control voltage. It appears as frequency jitter.

From the graph it is seen that the PLL frequency fluctuates impulsively right at 10 ms intervals. As a test I changed the sampling frequency to 48 kHz and measured the same 1 kHz signal.”"

So as we see, sudden timing changes from the source providing data to the DAC caused distortion to travel to the DAC output and not be filtered out by the usual circuit (PLL). He redesigned the PLL and the jitter was filtered out. The point then is that just because digital is digital, it does not mean that you get the same analog output regardless of how the system works upstream. There is a level of complexity below that which needs to be looked at.

As noted, the picture is more complex in that you are also electrically coupling a noisy computer to a DAC. To my knowledge no one has tried to characterize any of this as variations are infinite.

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca

I use the Acoustic Revive USB as well. Since my system is mostly comprised of Wireworld Platinum cables, I tried the Platinum USB cable against the Revive....but back went the Wireworld to The Cable Co. So far nothing has knocked it from its perch.

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
I use the Acoustic Revive USB as well. Since my system is mostly comprised of Wireworld Platinum cables, I tried the Platinum USB cable against the Revive....but back went the Wireworld to The Cable Co. So far nothing has knocked it from its perch.

Good to read your comment. I've been trying to sing the praises of these cables to my audiophile friends and folks just kind of dismiss the idea because they don't get mentioned much in these discussions I suppose. The impact I have heard from them has been so impressive, really shocking to me actually. I had a few extra I was selling so I just sent one off to a buddy of mine to try out. He has a system along the same level of mine, his being Sasha's, Lamm Hybrids, Berkeley etc, mine Spectral, Sasha, Berkeley, MIT. Interestingly enough, I have had the same if not more pronounced results with the Acoustic Revive DSIX digital cable.

sometime

Oct 23, 2012
Acoustic Revive USB-1.0SP USB cable and Virtue Audio Nirvana USB

I agree that the Acoustic Revive USB-1.0SP cable is superior to the top of the line Wireworld USB I used to own.

Another cable that I also enjoy using is the much less expensive Virtue Audio Nirvana USB: http://store.virtueaudio.com/product-p/vrtu-usb-nrv.htm
I would recommend trying it before you spend more. You may find that it is what you have been looking for. I believe that it comes with a 30 day refund option, if you do not like it.

The virtueaudio.com website will probably indicate that the cable is out of stock, but if you send an email to jason.terpstra@gmail.com you should be able to place an order and receive prompt delivery.

My favorite Acoustic Revive product is the RAS-14 AC power conditioner. My experience has been that it makes a remarkable improvement in both audio and video performance when placed between the power conditioner (into which my audio components and PC are connected) and the electrical outlet. See: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue55/acoustic_revive.htm

Whitigir

Oct 12, 2016
I see, so if USB cables is "analog" in nature when playing digital music, then should I be using the device, IFI Ipurifier 2 in the chain ? It says it could do noises cancelling, reclocking and rebalances. It does seem to be coloring my music source though. Thanks for the respond.

After listening and A/B for a good bit, the Ipurifier helps with the stock USB cables and negatively affecting my upgraded USB cables.

Purifier 2 is acting like a colorful device in the chain where it boost the bass and slightly veiled up the very fine and micro details in the trebles and sub-bass. This feature allow it to bring improvements to stock USB cables. However, upgraded USB cables brought the whole improvement a cross the board, and clearly is showing the coloration and negative impact the ipurifier 2 introduce.

Therefore, my conclusion is that a well built USB cables from a good source is ways better than in comparison.

Last edited:

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I see, so if USB cables is "analog" in nature when playing digital music, then should I be using the device, IFI Ipurifier 2 in the chain ? It says it could do noises cancelling, reclocking and rebalances.

After listening and A/B for a good bit, the Ipurifier helps with the stock USB cables and negatively affecting my upgraded USB cables.

Purifier 2 is acting like a colorful device in the chain where it boost the bass and slightly veiled up the very fine and micro details in the trebles and sub-bass. This feature allow it to bring improvements to stock USB cables. However, upgraded USB cables brought the whole improvement a cross the board, and clearly is showing the coloration and negative impact the ipurifier 2 introduce.

Therefore, my conclusion is that a well built USB cables from a good source is ways better than in comparison.

It's a bit complicated and here's why: there's is an intermediate D/A then A/D at the start of the cable (source) and at the receiving end (destination). In between, the analog cable is subject to interference, some internal, some external.

You can do all types of modification on the source (computer) for better power and signal, as well as all types of device-chaining or getting a better DAC at the reception side, but you're still using an imperfect cabling/encoding for the job, which is transporting data from A to B. Ideally, this should be done in an optical fashion for less interfence (but then you have to take into account the noise profiles of these new senders and receivers as well).

Some of the cleanup devices do isolation (Intona), some do regeneration for SI (Uptone Regen), some devices have power supplies which even though they do cleanup, will add leakage currents in the system affecting SQ, so ideally you'd want to power them with batteries or Linear Power Supplies.

Now, there are a few ways you could potentially improve your setup but that would require some radical rethinking:

1. Use Optical USB cables like Corning (but see caveat about noise profile above)

2. Use Fibre Optic converters to make the transport from A to B purely digital (and hence more robust). Here again, don't be surprised that you'd need linear PS for better SQ too.

3. Avoid USB altogether and use Ethernet + Ethernet DAC. (here too, some people have found Ethernet isolators also improve SQ despite Ethernet jacks already having tiny transformers providing some isolation)

4. Wait or get a DAC which is impervious to USB power and Signal integrity issues (this is still rather new)

5. Build a better source computer (here again, if you use a normal analog USB cable, you'll still get issues)

6. Use a really, really short USB Cable or hard adapter, and/or separate the power lines from the Data lines (I built my own like this and double-shielded each pair and it's fantastic).

In brief: the normal analog USB cable is a weak link. We're doing it wrong.

Last edited:

Whitigir

Oct 12, 2016
Today I took your advise and did duo-shielding with UPOCC silver and oh my god, I am loving it

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
In my experience USB cables do matter. I've tried a Belkin, the Pangea cable and a Wireworld Starlight - all sound different. Then I tried a friend's AQ Diamond, significantly better, bought it and stuck with it.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
If you own a dac that powers its own USB interface then a USB cable without the 5v line is no brainer IMHO.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It would be no surprise that analog over USB would mean the cable changes sound. However if it was DSD then there is an analog signal riding on the digital so it may be sensitive to changes as well even though it's "digital"; it's also in real time. Otherwise pure digital that's buffered and isolated from noise will only show a difference in cables due to unstable equipment (probably the DAC). This sort of problem has been shown between, for example, CD transport and a DAC, where swapping SPIDF cables changes the sound a lot. It was because of unstable equipment but reviews called it transparent.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing