Weiss MAN301 Music Server

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Device is not something well suited for the WBF :)

I am using modded SlimDevices Transporter today (clocks, burson op-amps, power, etc.) with Behringer DEQ2496 in a digital loop.
Transporter is capable to "export" the digital stream before it enters the DAC to external processor and then take a correct stream to its DAC. In a digital loop, that Behringer processor well worth the money and the benefits of room corrections overshadow the drawback of having another component in the chain. Behringer is 96/24 and so is Transporter so this due works fine.

BTW, many devices I've seen (do not remember regarding Trinnov) are limited to 48KHz, or to 96KHz (in the best case). Even if they receive 192/24 on their inputs, the internal processing is limited to 48/24 to save CPU cycles. And I hate down-sampling, regardless what I am told - I do not need/won't hear.

The new Trinnov Amethyst will support 192/24 (existing processors will evenutally support it thorugh firmware upgrade). It will be released in December. It does DLNA streaming, DRC and comes with build in DACs and digital out. It does not have a build in music server. Price unknown. The WEISS looks interesting. You could run it digitally into a Trinnov processor and digital out into a high grade DAC. I already have the trinnov and DAC, but use CAPS server with Offramp 5 converter as a source. The WEISS would make a very nice alternative, but I would lose JRiver which I love.

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
The new Trinnov Amethyst will support 192/24 (existing processors will evenutally support it thorugh firmware upgrade). It will be released in December. It does DLNA streaming, DRC and comes with build in DACs and digital out. It does not have a build in music server. Price unknown. The WEISS looks interesting. You could run it digitally into a Trinnov processor and digital out into a high grade DAC. I already have the trinnov and DAC, but use CAPS server with Offramp 5 converter as a source. The WEISS would make a very nice alternative, but I would lose JRiver which I love.

Thanks, Amethyst might be an interesting product.
I personally don't want another box, and for me - correcting few specific frequencies in the low range will do the job. And all these features of Trinnov would be just wasted for me.

If it will be as good as Weiss MAN301 sound-wise, it will be a point to consider..

Why don't you work with the parametric EQ built into JRiver?
Also, there are tons of VST plugins..? Since you already have a computer source

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I am a big fan of FabFilter Pro-Q used with Pure Music. 100% transparent to my ears.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Thanks, Amethyst might be an interesting product.
I personally don't want another box, and for me - correcting few specific frequencies in the low range will do the job. And all these features of Trinnov would be just wasted for me.

If it will be as good as Weiss MAN301 sound-wise, it will be a point to consider..

Why don't you work with the parametric EQ built into JRiver?
Also, there are tons of VST plugins..? Since you already have a computer source

If I had just 2 channel sources I would do just that and run EQ on the PC or Mac, or run a full blown PC based room correction system (Dirac for PC or acourate). However, I am also using the Trinnov for my Multi Channel application (I have a modded Oppo with 4 x S/PDIF out), that benefits a lot from the Trinnov correction. In fact, my Trinnov is 4 channel only so I just run R/L/C/LFE through it, and run the surround channels through an external DAC.

ciamara

Dec 3, 2010
Well, this is not that hard to do. Over the years I have worked in many studios, and the software platforms get better and better every year. If you are recording live music, Pro Tools is an industry standard (though I strongly recommend using non-Digidesign hardware and converters if you want good sound). Logic on the Mac Platform is still incredible, and it sounds a lot better that iTunes. It is production software, so not really meant for playing back audio files, but it sounds amazing. If you want to experiment, this is a good place to start. There are also many EQ plugins available for other audio production platforms ....

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Well, this is not that hard to do. Over the years I have worked in many studios, and the software platforms get better and better every year. If you are recording live music, Pro Tools is an industry standard (though I strongly recommend using non-Digidesign hardware and converters if you want good sound). Logic on the Mac Platform is still incredible, and it sounds a lot better that iTunes. It is production software, so not really meant for playing back audio files, but it sounds amazing. If you want to experiment, this is a good place to start. There are also many EQ plugins available for other audio production platforms ....

For two channel I agree. Making this work with multi channel on a PC/mac stictly in playback mode is not for the faint of heart though, if at all possible for a non professional user.

ciamara

Dec 3, 2010
True, though provided you are using a multi-channel interface, it is possible. The Weiss AFI1 together with multiple DACs would provide the flexibility. But of course, it is all very experimental and not well-suited for convenient playback of music files from a library.

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
I am a big fan of FabFilter Pro-Q used with Pure Music. 100% transparent to my ears.

This filter is already on my short list to try.. It was mentioned few times elsewhere..
BTW, do you use Room EQ Wizard or something else to find out the parameters for the filter?

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Yes, the filter settings are generated automatically within REW based on the actual room measurement data, simply copy and paste the freq, gain and Q values over into fabfilter and done. I use it to pull down 2 problematic nodes between 30 and 70hz with 2 filters. The difference is so significant that I almost cannot enjoy systems where the bass response is not corrected for such as at shows or at friends places for example. I can detect even a slight linearity issue and find this very distracting.

David

Aug 11, 2012
Yes, the filter settings are generated automatically within REW based on the actual room measurement data, simply copy and paste the freq, gain and Q values over into fabfilter and done. I use it to pull down 2 problematic nodes between 30 and 70hz with 2 filters. The difference is so significant that I almost cannot enjoy systems where the bass response is not corrected for such as at shows or at friends places for example. I can detect even a slight linearity issue and find this very distracting.

how sounds the Weiss MAN301 (used as transport only) when connected to Medea+ DAC VS Medea+ DAC connected to Jason CD transport ?
someone had chance to try such comparative tests ?

Best regards

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
New Weiss MAN301R

The MAN301R is a new version of our MAN301 which uses a completely different software such that it becomes a Roon system for streaming, Internet radio, file playback, CD ripping, D/A conversion.

Existing MAN301 units can be side-graded to the MAN301R version. The old MAN301 software then will not be available anymore.

Contact me for details.

Read more about the MAN301R here: https://weiss.ch/products/highend-hifi/man301r/

And in its manual here: https://weiss.ch/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/man301r-userman.pdf

We also made a video about it on our youtube channel:

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
IMG_7806.jpeg

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
IMG_7813.jpeg

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
MAN301R arrived …

IMG_8217.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing