Graceland Reissue

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
As I said yesterday, Fed Ex showed up on my door with a box from Elusive Disc that contained a new bottle of Mobile Fidelity Super Wash for my RCM and two new LPs, Dave Brubeck ‘Time Out’ on 45 RPM and Paul Simon ‘Graceland’ reissued by Sony on 180g vinyl pressed by RTI.

My expectation bias was very high for the Dave Brubeck LP and honestly, I didn’t know what to expect from the Graceland LP. I have been listening to Graceland since the LP first came out and I still have my original copy that I bought when the LP was first issued. There was nothing real special about my original copy and it always had noise issues.

So I played the Dave Brubeck LP first and I am very happy with this LP. Both the quality of the music and the recording quality are really good. And then I put on Graceland and I wish someone was sitting next to me to see the dumbstruck look I had on my face as soon as music popped out of the black background and started playing.

I don’t even recognize this version of Graceland from my original copy. It has to have been re-mastered with some liberties taken over the original version that was used to make my original copy. In short, I think this version of Graceland is simply outstanding from top to bottom. This new version just smokes my original. I never had bottom end like this before from this recording. It was never this quiet. It never sounded this damn good. There is something new to hear with every note. If you are a fan of Graceland and you don’t own this version of it, you need to purchase it before it’s gone. You won’t be sorry.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Mep- thanks for that. I listen to that record now more than I did back in the day. It's funny, but I sorta grouped Paul Simon, Paul McCartney and Elton John into a group of sappy pop guys that had lost the thread and really didn't interest me back in the 80's. With that mindset, I was in CBGB's record store -this had to be shortly after Graceland came out- and something very brutal was playing on the store system that i kinda liked. I inquired, "My good man, what is that disc you are spinning?" It was a release by a band called Elvis Hitler called "Disgraceland." It featured a cover version of Purple Haze, with the lyrics to 'Green Acres' (remember that show?). I played the **** out of that record and still have it. Makes me laugh.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Mark - both titles are favourites of mine and I'm glad to read about your impressions of Graceland. I would however appreciate a little more detail on why you thought:

It has to have been re-mastered with some liberties taken over the original version that was used to make my original copy.

John

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mark - both titles are favourites of mine and I'm glad to read about your impressions of Graceland. I would however appreciate a little more detail on why you thought:

John

John-I simply said that because my new version just sounds shockingly different. I just played my original copy a few nights ago and I couldn't make it through one whole side because of the noise and it overall just sounded crappy. The new recording compared to my old original has a clarity to it that escaped my old recording. Every instrument sounds better, every voice sounds better, the bass has more extension, the high frequencies sound more pure. It just doesn't sound like the same recording that I have heard many times. If you don't have it and get a chance to hear it, please let me know what you think.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John-I simply said that because my new version just sounds shockingly different. I just played my original copy a few nights ago and I couldn't make it through one whole side because of the noise and it overall just sounded crappy. The new recording compared to my old original has a clarity to it that escaped my old recording. Every instrument sounds better, every voice sounds better, the bass has more extension, the high frequencies sound more pure. It just doesn't sound like the same recording that I have heard many times. If you don't have it and get a chance to hear it, please let me know what you think.

Mark - Thanks for the explanation as I thought you found there was more to it. I hope to get both LP's shortly (the new ones that is) and I'll let you know for sure what I think.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-Actually there is more to it-more information that I never heard before. Somebody on this forum besides me has got to own the original and the new version. I hope they join in with their impressions. I will look forward to hearing your impressions.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have the Brubeck 45 rpm Quality Records pressing and I concur..excellent pressing and sound. I will have to check out Graceland.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
John-Actually there is more to it-more information that I never heard before. Somebody on this forum besides me has got to own the original and the new version. I hope they join in with their impressions. I will look forward to hearing your impressions.

I have an original (UK edition) version of Graceland, and it's surface is nice and quiet. Based on your recommendations, I'll order a copy to see what it sounds like compared to my original.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Rich-I look forward to hearing your impressions.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Rich-I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Yeah I was holding off figuring it was a digital reissue.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I don't care if they recorded this with a digital corn cob, this thing sounds great.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I don't care if they recorded this with a digital corn cob, this thing sounds great.

Digital corn cob?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I prefer digital corn pone, myself.

Got me curious, as I recall my old thrift copy sounded great for "Graceland", I'll try it out when I get back to Pleasanton.

Won't buy a new version, don't like it that much.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Whipped out my thrift copy of "Graceland", I think it was 75c in a batch of records.

Extremely high quality vinyl surface, nearly noiseless. It is a digital recording, and does sound like it on some cuts, although some cuts do sound a bit more analog for some reason. The digititis portions have a bit of un-scotch-able sibilance and dry upper midrange and high frequencies. However, the dynamics and bass are top notch, and instrument/vocal separation and soundstage are outstanding. Really big sound.

I would grade it an A minus overall, because of the digititis, with an A plus for dynamics. Not quite as good as Dire Straits digital vinyl or GRP digital vinyl, but close.

I don't think that one would need a better copy, unless it was a real rave fave, or it were available in a nice reel to reel tape.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Carl-Your flea and tick market purchase is of much higher quality than my original copy based on your description.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Carl-Your flea and tick market purchase is of much higher quality than my original copy based on your description.

Dempsty Diving can be more miss than hit, but this copy happened to be a good one. Graceland was a big seller, so it is relatively common in the used bins. One could pick up several, and keep the best copy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing