Burmester 909

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Hi, ozy,

What are your impressions of the 909s now that they must have run around a couple of months more in your system?

And I agree, good review on the 909. I still want to know how one 909 would fare against a pair of 911s though.

Cheers

Sujay- the 909s offer everything the 911s do ,and thensome- more of a dynamic presentation ,more sweetness to the mids and absolute control on the mid- lower bass.
It is very neutral in character, without the emphasis on any particular frequency range- something i have expereinced with past amps.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
jeff is not as nice as you think. I criticized the North American distributer of Burmester because he reminds me of a beer swinging frat boy, and he got me banned from AudioAficionado.
Sounds like the distributor is Australian lol :)
Apologies to any Australians, but hey you did have a PM with the record for drinking yard of beer.
Cheers
Orb

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Sujay- the 909s offer everything the 911s do ,and thensome- more of a dynamic presentation ,more sweetness to the mids and absolute control on the mid- lower bass.
It is very neutral in character, without the emphasis on any particular frequency range- something i have expereinced with past amps.

How can it be sweet and neutral at the same time?:confused:

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
If you're in New York for the show there 12-14 April and come listen to the 909 and meet the beer swigging Canadian frat boy. (Hope that doesn't get me banned from WBF.)

LOL. He does look like one!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
joe, happy& an audiofool? impossible.......:) but all in all i am.

Great to hear Ozy. Enjoy! Look forward to hearing more about your system...is there still new equipment being evaluated for it?

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Lloyd, nothing on my radar at the moment. This system needs a lot more time to settle in and "bloom". But so far so very good!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, nothing on my radar at the moment. This system needs a lot more time to settle in and "bloom". But so far so very good!

Enjoy!

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
jeff is not as nice as you think. I criticized the North American distributer of Burmester because he reminds me of a beer swinging frat boy, and he got me banned from AudioAficionado.

No the beer swinging guy is Johan Coorg of KEF. A great man to hang out with and have a few with. You got yourself banned from AudioAficionado by being rude and insulting to me, Robb Neiman (the Burmester importer) and Ivan. You were a big TONE and Burmester fanboy, emailing me six times a day until I made the mistake of disagreeing with you over something you said that was kind of silly.

You then freaked out, sent me one of the nastiest emails I've ever received that had something to do with Robb and I having a sexual relationship and then proceeded to whine to everyone on some Audi and BMW forum about what a dishonest person I was, who was bought off by everyone in the hifi industry.

So, if you're going to make statements about my character, please tell the whole story.

I'm sure this will trigger a whole new round of death threats from you, but I get tired of this kind of thing.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
No the beer swinging guy is Johan Coorg of KEF. A great man to hang out with and have a few with. You got yourself banned from AudioAficionado by being rude and insulting to me, Robb Neiman (the Burmester importer) and Ivan. You were a big TONE and Burmester fanboy, emailing me six times a day until I made the mistake of disagreeing with you over something you said that was kind of silly.

You then freaked out, sent me one of the nastiest emails I've ever received that had something to do with Robb and I having a sexual relationship and then proceeded to whine to everyone on some Audi and BMW forum about what a dishonest person I was, who was bought off by everyone in the hifi industry.

So, if you're going to make statements about my character, please tell the whole story.

I'm sure this will trigger a whole new round of death threats from you, but I get tired of this kind of thing.

LOL, you got banned at Audio Aficionado also. I got banned because you insulted me when I NEVER said anything about you. I call them as I see them. I might have mistaken the looks of the NA distibuter of Burmester, but he made aver insulting comment to my Burmester dealer becuse I called Burmester about a question I had about my 089. Plus, you right a very serious self-righteous, self promoting and highly biased rag. I don't take kindly to insults from anyone, especially you. So, keep smoozing with the audio industry and accept their kind payments to you to promote their products.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Easy guys. Take a deep breath.............You know what lines should not be crossed.

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
Well, once again, we have a crabby person, that knows nothing about me, my business or my industry relationships, suggesting that I am a dishonest person.

I run a magazine. I charge money for advertising, and I pay my writers, photographers and editors to create content. Pretty much like every other consumer magazine out there.

I also find it particularly amusing that you can't even properly spell the insults you throw my way. So let's address your issues, shall we?

As for TONE being "self-righteous" "self-promoting" and "highly biased" where do we get this from?

Most of the reviews I've written barely, if ever are even written in the first person. I ask all of my staff members to do the same. If you look at many of the reviews from the other online and print publications, they are usually full of "I did this, I did that, then I did this, and when so and so asked me to review their amplifier, I was so excited." There's none of that in TONEAudio. Sorry.

Self promotion, the same thing. Please explain how I use the magazine to promote anything beyond itself.

The highly biased part is also pretty funny. Again, please explain how we are highly biased towards ANY manufacturer. We write more articles about gear from NON advertisers than any other audio magazine, period. We write more articles about vintage audio than any other magazine. We have not written particularly negative reviews about anyone, because we have always stated our mission is to find our readers great gear, at all price points. So if we think something is distinctly under par, we send it back, end of story. We have always been up front about this. No hidden agenda here. And, we have used the word "Best" in maybe two reviews in eight years and over 600 product reviews, in addition to awarding fewer product awards than any other magazine.

I am not saying this to criticize my competitors, but it is a definite choice that we have made and stuck to.

Unlike many other publications that claim to be "the world's best this or that," we have never made that claim, anywhere, ever. We do our job in a professional, courteous and timely manner. We would not have access to the gear and people that we do if we did not.

So, I'm not quite getting the self promotion aspect of this. I easily leave 6 figures on the table every year because of the advertisers I DON'T court.

I own 95% of my reference gear and have the cancelled checks to prove it. As do almost all of my staff members. Again, more than any other magazine going.

So, if for whatever reason you have an axe to grind and can do it in a civilized, constructive and adult format, bring it on. But for now your analysis is pretty flawed.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I don't have an ax to grind. I just think there are much, much better writers( most of them here) and reviewers than you and Tone. You write like a cheerleader cheers.

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
I don't have an ax to grind. I just think there are much, much better writers( most of them here) and reviewers than you and Tone. You write like a cheerleader cheers.

Now that's intelligent criticism if I've ever heard it. At least you did manage to spell all the words in the sentence correctly.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Guys--
i got to step in here and ask politely and respectufully that whatever is between you two can and should be resolved adult-like but elsewhere.
you are hijacking this subforum about the "Burmester 909", and it is not fair to the rest of us.
A direct phone call between you 2 adults should resolve your feud amicably.
Thanks al lot!

hifikontoen

Dec 19, 2011
I guess it measures well (as Burmester is known for), but its price tag simply does not make sense (which also is a common feature for Burmester's electronics).
I would rather have spent my bucks on T+A's PA 3000 HV or one of the powerful amps from Bryston.
I hope this does not offend someone here... it is just my opinion.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I guess it measures well (as Burmester is known for), but its price tag simply does not make sense (which also is a common feature for Burmester's electronics).
I would rather have spent my bucks on T+A's PA 3000 HV or one of the powerful amps from Bryston.
I hope this does not offend someone here... it is just my opinion.

I agree Burmester is way over priced. I bought $10k Magnus MA-300 which is more powerfull and sounds just as good ( if not better) as my old 911 MK3.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing