"New" Mobile Fidelity Vinyl Pressings

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Anyone enjoying other Mofi reissues?

I've been pleased with their 45 rpm Blonde On Blonde. The stereo mix isn't as ping pong as the early stereos, so it has some nice punch.

0-2 for with Miles Davis; for Milestones and Round About Midnight I preferred my original 6-eye Columbias for both.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
The mofi reissue of The Sisters of Mercy - Floodland is excellent

Sound quality is great and most of the mixes seem to be slightly different, at least from the original Aussie pressing.

Well worth it

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Sketches Of Spain sounded pretty good...until it was compared to a 6-eye stereo. The comparison lasted about 2 minutes.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sketches Of Spain sounded pretty good...until it was compared to a 6-eye stereo. The comparison lasted about 2 minutes.

Comparisons killed the cat. It usually happens that way to me. And that phenom had caused me to have less and less re-issues, when the original first press comes in, it almost always beats the re-issue.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Did anyone pick up the Rickie Lee Jones debut album yet? I think I'm going to pick it up on Friday as my dealer is having a huge sale.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The Band-Rock of Ages didn't do much for me on a first play, so I'll reserve a final opinion. Seemed a little dull.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Did anyone pick up the Rickie Lee Jones debut album yet? I think I'm going to pick it up on Friday as my dealer is having a huge sale.

I've been waiting for the 45 rpm reissue for a year!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
image.jpg image.jpg

Arrived today.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
^^^^^

Congrats Myles! I just asked my dealer to order it for me. I don't buy direct as they ship FedEx and they hit me with brokerage fees, plus higher delivery costs to Canada.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Let us know how it sounds Myles.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Without a doubt one of the great debut albums of all time. It's been in regular rotation here since it was first released.

Really looking forward to your take on this release Myles.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Without a doubt one of the great debut albums of all time. It's been in regular rotation here since it was first released.

Really looking forward to your take on this release Myles.

I did get my copy some time ago and it is absolutely fabulous. The quality is stunning, although I'm so used to hearing this on 33RPM that the split kinda put me off.

Anyway, I picked up the 45RPM of Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited yesterday. Listening to it now, but it's too early to raise the volume just yet. I'll report later when I can give it a proper listen.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Did anyone get the Mofi vinyl reissues for In a Silent Way or Bitches Brew?

I picked up the former and at first I preferred the original US 2-eye pressing after putting it on immediately after the Mofi. The 2-eye has a bright, in your face forward presentation (compression?). The Mofi is a bit more laid back, but not lacking in treble extension. The first thing listeners will probably notice is Tony William's hi-hat in the right channel is lower in volume. But going back to the Mofi on repeated occasions it sounds like they didn't use any (or less) compression so instruments bloom more naturally and loud and soft gradients are more obvious. Contrast this to the 2-eye where everything sounds exciting all at once. Just my 2c, I think Mofi did a very good job on this; I'd be equally happy with either. I will probably go for Bitches Brew at some point.

edit: If a moderator sees this would they mind moving the thread to the vinyl/music forum? I always have a hard time finding this thread until I remember it's in the general discussion forum :)

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Did anyone get the Mofi vinyl reissues for In a Silent Way or Bitches Brew?

I picked up the former and at first I preferred the original US 2-eye pressing after putting it on immediately after the Mofi. The 2-eye has a bright, in your face forward presentation (compression?). The Mofi is a bit more laid back, but not lacking in treble extension. The first thing listeners will probably notice is Tony William's hi-hat in the right channel is lower in volume. But going back to the Mofi on repeated occasions it sounds like they didn't use any (or less) compression so instruments bloom more naturally and loud and soft gradients are more obvious. Contrast this to the 2-eye where everything sounds exciting all at once. Just my 2c, I think Mofi did a very good job on this; I'd be equally happy with either. I will probably go for Bitches Brew at some point.

edit: If a moderator sees this would they mind moving the thread to the vinyl/music forum? I always have a hard time finding this thread until I remember it's in the general discussion forum :)

I heard Bitches Brew Mofi on a friend's system and it sounded very nice.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing