Target Curves

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Ken: Is there a way with the TacT software to adjust target curves via some table manipulation approach instead of on the actual curve itself? It sure would be easier to get more granular settings.

SigTech had tables we could manipulate which came in very handy.

Thanks...

Chuck

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Not that I'm aware of, Chuck. There is tabular data for the Parametric EQ, accessable via the front panel of the preamp using the remote. Nothing I can find for the RCS, either via front panel or PC GUI.

The software's so arcane I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it's buried somewhere, though.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim, a couple of other observations now that I'm properly caffeinated... The TacT will provide adjustments as small as 0.8Hz and 0.1 dB. How much more granular are you seeking?

More granular than I currently have. Yes, 0.1 db would do.

P

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
The software's so arcane I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it's buried somewhere, though.

You could be right. I don't know how I would design it any better given the massive functionality that it provides ---- but if you right click on the upper left portion of the screen, cross both of your legs, hold your right thumb at 45 degrees and yell "zowie" simultaneously, you might find it !!

Lots of hidden stuff.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Holy crap Batman. Having little to do while sitting in a hotel room in Orlando at a boring meeting, I was perusing old WBF threads when I came across the "Harmon Synthesis Curve" posted by Robh3606 almost 4 years ago! Since I am probably TLMFEWUT (the last mother-fkr on earth who still uses a TacT 2.2XP) I can't begin to tell you how absolutely shocked I was to see this curve. After nearly 10 years of adjusting TacT target curves, it turns out that my current target curve is an almost exact replica of the Harmon curve. There are two salient features of the curve that deserve comment. The first is the steep roll off below 30 Hz. This is unusual as it is not seen on the B&K curve, nor any factory TacT curve. Yet I find it is almost precisely what sounds best in my system. Any curve that approaches flat to 20Hz is invariably very wrong in my system. Using a pair of JL Gotham subs (w Pipedream towers), a roll off below 30 Hz as seen the Harmon curve, is the one that sounds musically correct in my system and believe me, the bass can crack concrete. Second, and unprecedented in my book, is the ultra critical area between 80 and 120 dB, otherwise known as the "valley of death" because that's exactly where most EQ systems fail. I have never seen a target curve where there is a relatively precipitous 5-6db drop in this critical area but again, this is what I have come to realize works the best in my system after hundreds (thousands?) of hours of trial and error over many, many years. I certainly wished I had seen this post several years ago. It certainly would have saved me a great deal of agita, anxiety and self-medication!!

rhbblb1

May 4, 2010
Holy crap Batman. Having little to do while sitting in a hotel room in Orlando at a boring meeting, I was perusing old WBF threads when I came across the "Harmon Synthesis Curve" posted by Robh3606 almost 4 years ago! Since I am probably TLMFEWUT (the last mother-fkr on earth who still uses a TacT 2.2XP) I can't begin to tell you how absolutely shocked I was to see this curve. After nearly 10 years of adjusting TacT target curves, it turns out that my current target curve is an almost exact replica of the Harmon curve. There are two salient features of the curve that deserve comment. The first is the steep roll off below 30 Hz. This is unusual as it is not seen on the B&K curve, nor any factory TacT curve. Yet I find it is almost precisely what sounds best in my system. Any curve that approaches flat to 20Hz is invariably very wrong in my system. Using a pair of JL Gotham subs (w Pipedream towers), a roll off below 30 Hz as seen the Harmon curve, is the one that sounds musically correct in my system and believe me, the bass can crack concrete. Second, and unprecedented in my book, is the ultra critical area between 80 and 120 dB, otherwise known as the "valley of death" because that's exactly where most EQ systems fail. I have never seen a target curve where there is a relatively precipitous 5-6db drop in this critical area but again, this is what I have come to realize works the best in my system after hundreds (thousands?) of hours of trial and error over many, many years. I certainly wished I had seen this post several years ago. It certainly would have saved me a great deal of agita, anxiety and self-medication!!

Thanks for the tip. I use Dirac Live and was happy with the "House" target curve. I altered it to the Harmon Synthesis Curve and was surprised at the improvement. I thought it would be bass heavy, but it is not. Just richer timber and more bass impact. Bass is not bloated. The Dirac Live House curve is similar to the Harmon curve, but without the increased bass that maxes at about 60hz. I use Magico 5s and their uncorrected measured response below 150hz is actually similar to the Harmon Synthesis Curve. Maybe that is why it works so well with these speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing