How do all these manufacturers stay in business

taters

Jun 6, 2012
It seems there are more manufacturers of audio than ever before. Even back in the golden age of audio you didn't see this. With the dwindling amount of brick and mortar stores and this rough economy I always wonder how they stay in business.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It seems there are more manufacturers of audio than ever before. Even back in the golden age of audio you didn't see this. With the dwindling amount of brick and mortar stores and this rough economy I always wonder how they stay in business.

Low overhead eg. they build the product on their kitchen table or in their garage. And they build to order.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
How do you become a millionaire in hi end audio?

Start out a multi millionaire.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
As music lovers, we should support the manufacturers as much as we can as long as they don't profit excessively. Without them, this hobby won't exist. If we can afford to buy new, we should. It pains me to see manufacturers going out of business.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is mind numbing really. When I walk around high-end suites at CES, it just goes on and on and on. Fair bit of audiophiles seemingly get into building these things. The saying I go by is the one that was in woodworking magazine. Someone had written in asking if it is a good idea to open a cabinet shop to make a living from it. The editor's answer? "The best way to ruin a good hobby is to turn it into a business!" :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
How do you become a millionaire in hi end audio?

Start out a multi millionaire.

Applies to becoming a dealer too!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I too have often wondered how so many of these small manufacturer's can make any kind of a living:confused:. I have actually asked a few about their business plan, only to be asked what is a business plan...LOL:eek:. It never ceases to amaze me that people don't really understand the aspects of starting and running a business in this economy, never lone one that caters to a very small audience in the best of times. OTOH, I guess one has to be thankful that there are seemingly a never ending supply of folks who are willing to jump into the deep end because of their love of the hobby. To all these adventurous souls, I take my hat off to you and wish you the best:).

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
"The best way to ruin a good hobby is to turn it into a business!" :)

Yet I can't help thinking about the other side of that coin. The only way (that I can see) to get the resources (not thinking here primarily financial resources either) to take your hobby to the nth degree is to turn it into a business. Would Steve Jobs have been able to realize his ideas for personal computers without Apple behind him?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
If you are Burmester, you team up with Porche and Bugatti.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Low overhead eg. they build the product on their kitchen table or in their garage. And they build to order.
Exactly. Even so, costs continue to increase. There's the "economy of scale" issue, too. What might cost the large manufacturer a dollar to make could cost the small one a hundred dollars. R&D is difficult, too. Taxes are yet another issue.

It isn't easy to manufacture anything at any scale these days. I believe that it isn't worth the effort for many of us, if money is the primary concern. Most of the small guys in audio that I know are driven by a passion that won't let them quit.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
http://www.interactivebrokers.com/ibg/main.php :D

No i am joking , .... getting a brandname across is the keypoint , i do it out of passion , even if i would earn nothing from it i would still design loudspeakers.
Its very fun to do, and i am not easily satisfied , i always think i can do it better .
There are a lot of things that can go wrong in a speaker , if you master the technique you re in control

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Exactly. Even so, costs continue to increase. There's the "economy of scale" issue, too. What might cost the large manufacturer a dollar to make could cost the small one a hundred dollars. R&D is difficult, too. Taxes are yet another issue.

It isn't easy to manufacture anything at any scale these days. I believe that it isn't worth the effort for many of us, if money is the primary concern. Most of the small guys in audio that I know are driven by a passion that won't let them quit.

Esp. if you need precision machining like with turntables and arms! :)

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Esp. if you need precision machining like with turntables and arms! :)

This is true. All it takes is one multi-thousand dollar mistake made by selecting the wrong machine shop to realize it! A lot of shops cannot fathom the idea of tolerances tighter than .0001", not to mention nice finishes, but with enough searching enthusiasts for what you are trying to accomplish can be found. That's one of the rewarding parts of the whole thing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing