What's happening at Wadia.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I tend to agree with your perspective. The Fine Groups needed some digital expertise for the group and got it from Wadia. As far as I see the days of the great Wadia CD players ended. The dimension slice of market that the current Wadia could aim at is not enough for such groups. I think that sooner than we expect Audio Research will be including digital expertise from Wadia in their units.

The new owners, Fine Sounds, wants to cash in on the Wadia name, but completely change their customer base. So in essence, it is no longer Wadia, but a consortium of several high end players ( Audio Research/Sonus Faber/Sumiko).

The one thing to keep in mind here is that Wadia's DigiMaster algorithm includes a filter which directly addresses pre and post-impulse ringing. This technique is patented and therefore out of the reach of other manufacturers. I'd wager that this patent is worth more than the brand or any of the other assets held by Wadia at the time of acquisition.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
If you mean US 5436882 A it shows a filing date of 4th Jan 1993 which by my reckoning means it's already expired (20 years is the normal validity period).

I'm assuming that's the one, which would mean that it expired this year. I only became aware of it after having a discussion with another manufacturer who stated that they could use that method since Wadia had a patent on it. The conversation was a couple of years ago (at which time the patent restrictions would still be in effect) so obviously the landscape has changed.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Wadia has redesigned the Digimaster filter for the Intuition 01 product. The new filter is called Delta-Sigmaster. I bet a new patent is pending.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Wadia has redesigned the Digimaster filter for the Intuition 01 product. The new filter is called Delta-Sigmaster. I bet a new patent is pending.

And I say good luck and good riddance!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I am disappointed with their decision to get out of disc spinners. First they abandoned SACD and now discs altogether. Their Series 9 is still the best digital I have heard even limited to 24/96. I should have never let it go.

Chr. R.

May 11, 2013
Now when Wadia no longer will produce a digital player for me, which other brand is then closest to the "Wadia sound"? I especially like the dynamism and drive, that is so characteristic for a Wadia product.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Now when Wadia no longer will produce a digital player for me, which other brand is then closest to the "Wadia sound"? I especially like the dynamism and drive, that is so characteristic for a Wadia product.

California Audio Labs?

* True, Wadia is right there, on top for digital sound quality, and build quality from their digital playback machines.
...Kind of sad.

Chr. R.

May 11, 2013
California Audio Labs?

Hmmm...California Audio Labs went out of buiness for over a decade ago (2001/2002).

I hoped for the 981i (SACD with a Esoteric drive) as Wadia promised would appear at the end of 2009, which clearly stated in a document that was sent to their distributors, and their display of 981i prototype at CES same year (2009):

"To all of our valued distribution partners...

Series 1 is only the beginning: We have added USB capabilities to our classic Wadia products, while simultaneously refining the performance of our flagship Series 9 Decoding Computer. March will bring a new and very cost-effective CD player (381) to our offerings, while also bringing back the first serious Wadia CD Transport in recent years (571). During the second half of 2009, the Series 9 Decoding Computer will also see the long-awaited transport partner (971), as well as the first integrated player to incorporate technology worthy of the 9 Series Designation (981)...

John W. Schaffer
President
Wadia Digital"

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I am disappointed with their decision to get out of disc spinners. First they abandoned SACD and now discs altogether. Their Series 9 is still the best digital I have heard even limited to 24/96. I should have never let it go.

Good to know. Maybe buy one for pennies on the dollar?;)

Chr. R.

May 11, 2013
Wadia now has a list of all recently discontinued models, which also includes the 9 series: http://www.wadia.com/en/Prodotti/Older-Products

Wadia has no new products for imminent launch, despite the fact that the company has announced: "As a member of Fine Sounds Group, you can expect to see big things from Wadia in the near future."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing