What's happening at Wadia.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I have no problems with my transport. And if you think it is slow, I will gladly take that and it's superior sound.
`

Well, as you can see I have a few more reservations. The 270SE had a much more smooth operational performance than the 971.

Thanks,
Roy

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
No problem, and wishing you the very best.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Thanks, Jim the same to you. It could be that the transport in your S7i is not identical to the one used in the 971.

All the best,
Roysen

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Wadia's new webpage is tough to accept for long time Wadia customers. Their product range now only includes the new Intuition 01 and the 1-Series. I read somewhere that an Intuition 02 is in the works and that it will be a source component.

Is Wadia moving from high-end to lifestyle markets? If that is the case, I am saddened and dissapointed beyond words.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wadia's new webpage is tough to accept for long time Wadia customers. Their product range now only includes the new Intuition 01 and the 1-Series. I read somewhere that an Intuition 02 is in the works and that it will be a source component.

Is Wadia moving from high-end to lifestyle markets? If that is the case, I am saddened and dissapointed beyond words.

Hi Roysen,

Hope you are back for good and feeling better. Nice to see your name come up again. Hope all is well.

Wiros

Mar 19, 2013
Netherlands
Salve,
I had many problems getting spare parts for my Wadia 861. Waited for more than 3 months:)p) for a flatcable.
Never a Wadia again!!!!!!

Wim

AMP

Feb 27, 2011

My dealer got a letter from Wadia around the first of April (for a second we thought it was an April Fools joke) which stated that they see the spinning disc market as dead and computer audio is the future. Therefore they are starting on a new path of decoding products with the Intuition 01 being the first entry (with many more to come).

He just unloaded his demos and is now debating on whether or not to bring in an Intuition or look to a different line.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
That is why I sold my S7i and bought a universal player, the ModWright Oppo 105. Wadia dropped all previous customers like a cheap hooker. I think discs still have a future for the next 5 years.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My dealer got a letter from Wadia around the first of April (for a second we thought it was an April Fools joke) which stated that they see the spinning disc market as dead and computer audio is the future. Therefore they are starting on a new path of decoding products with the Intuition 01 being the first entry (with many more to come).

He just unloaded his demos and is now debating on whether or not to bring in an Intuition or look to a different line.

Another company trying to reinvent itself. Maybe one time too many here.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Wadia's new webpage is tough to accept for long time Wadia customers (...)

Happy to read from you again. I hope you are recovering well.

Chr. R.

May 11, 2013
My dealer got a letter from Wadia around the first of April (for a second we thought it was an April Fools joke) which stated that they see the spinning disc market as dead and computer audio is the future. Therefore they are starting on a new path of decoding products with the Intuition 01 being the first entry (with many more to come)...

I have the document as Wadia issued on 2 April.

"...As you all know, the Wadia brand enjoys “legacy status” as one of the founding ?rms that pioneered high-performance digital audio over twenty ?ve years ago - and how times have changed since then. Clearly a move away from music bring stored on optical media is happening today and Wadia’s future products will embrace this new market reality. Simply stated, the current product category of CD players, can no longer sustain growth in any meaningful way. Consequently, Wadia will cease manufacture immediately of the 381/381i and S7i CD players, 571 CD Transport and 521 Decoding Computer. These products are now of?cially discontinued. Please note that there is limited inventory remaining of these models and these will be made available to our dealer are a ?rst come ?rst serve basis. Additionally, the parts and service warranty on these discontinued models will be honored. Remaining models that will continue to be available going forward include the 121 Decoding Computer, 151 Power DAC Mini and of course, Intuition 01..."

:(

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Wadia is doing the same mistake over and over again. They ignore their customers. This time I think it is fatal.

Edit: The newsletter doesn't say anything about the Series 9 products. They are gone from their website though.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
Wadia is doing the same mistake over and over again. They ignore their customers. This time I think it is fatal.

Edit: The newsletter doesn't say anything about the Series 9 products. They are gone from their website though.

Agreed.... unless they have a large product pipeline ready to release with features and specs which will satisfy the typical high-end digital buyer. I am personally concerned, though, that the Fine Sounds acquisition was motivated primarily by Wadia's IP and patents (which are unique in the industry) and less by actually continuing the core values of the brand.

My understanding with the Series 9 products is that they are in a bit of a "no man's land" right now. Not officially discontinued, but not officially current product either.

I've been a Wadia fan for years and have enjoyed their products immensely. At this point, though, I'm out and will be looking elsewhere. I wish them the very best and if their strategy pays of and reinvigorates the company then I'll look at their products again.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
Is this now the 4th or the 5th time Wadia has closed their doors

Steve, I think it's important to clarify here. Wadia hasn't closed, they have just decided that there is no future in the spinning disc market and are now focusing on products to decode digital streams (primarily from servers). They still have a product line (Intuition 01, 1xx series DACs / AMPs, as well as some forthcoming additions to the Intuition line) and are still providing service and support for their legacy products.

Now, whether or not this change in strategy will be beneficial or detrimental to their business remains to be seen.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve, I think it's important to clarify here. Wadia hasn't closed, they have just decided that there is no future in the spinning disc market and are now focusing on products to decode digital streams (primarily from servers). They still have a product line (Intuition 01, 1xx series DACs / AMPs, as well as some forthcoming additions to the Intuition line) and are still providing service and support for their legacy products.

Now, whether or not this change in strategy will be beneficial or detrimental to their business remains to be seen.

Not so sure that's the case going back some 8-10 years now but perhaps I'm mistaken

Chr. R.

May 11, 2013

The sad facts are:
1) No more Wadia CD players
2) Also, no more Wadia transports
3) 1 ½ years with Fine Sounds, only one new product has been presented
4) And this product also indicates, that it is the end of the well known Wadia design
5) Wadia today, has not even a high-end DAC

:(

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am personally concerned, though, that the Fine Sounds acquisition was motivated primarily by Wadia's IP and patents (which are unique in the industry) and less by actually continuing the core values of the brand.

I've been a Wadia fan for years and have enjoyed their products immensely. At this point, though, I'm out and will be looking elsewhere. I wish them the very best and if their strategy pays of and reinvigorates the company then I'll look at their products again.

I tend to agree with your perspective. The Fine Groups needed some digital expertise for the group and got it from Wadia. As far as I see the days of the great Wadia CD players ended. The dimension slice of market that the current Wadia could aim at is not enough for such groups. I think that sooner than we expect Audio Research will be including digital expertise from Wadia in their units.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
The new owners, Fine Sounds, wants to cash in on the Wadia name, but completely change their customer base. So in essence, it is no longer Wadia, but a consortium of several high end players ( Audio Research/Sonus Faber/Sumiko).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing