Which SS amp has the most tube-like tone and timbre?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Someone recommended Pass to me, but it didn't agree with me.

What is the best you have heard

dennisE

Jun 20, 2012
Reno
I currently own a Sirius D200 which I bought on Ebay about 6 months ago. Sirius was bought by GamuT, it looks just like the Gamut. I have owned alot of amps over the last ten years, SS Jeff Rowland, Krell and Edge. Tubes, Audion, Cary and Yamamoto. After the Sirius, I do not even look at amps anymore. If you listen to a GamuT, I bet you will be surprised.

D

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I currently own a Sirius D200 which I bought on Ebay about 6 months ago. Sirius was bought by GamuT, it looks just like the Gamut. I have owned alot of amps over the last ten years, SS Jeff Rowland, Krell and Edge. Tubes, Audion, Cary and Yamamoto. After the Sirius, I do not even look at amps anymore. If you listen to a GamuT, I bet you will be surprised.

D

Hi,

Do the Gamut amps sound like your Sirius D200? http://www.gamutaudio.com/en-GB/Products/Electronics/Amplifiers.aspx Would the D200i be the same?

Thanks!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In my limited SS experience, the Valvet A3.5R and Lamm M1.2 Reference. It's why I use them personally and why I ended up carrying them. While I still own tube amps (Lamm ML1.1, BAT VK-150s and a pair of Parallel SE 300B monoblocks) I switched to these as mainstays after seeing one too many B+ fuses blowing. It was just too much excitement for me. My first dalliance with tube like SS was a pair of Pass Aleph 0s. It didn't do it for me. I haven't heard any XAs in my system but given the time passed, I'm sure they've evolved quite a bit by now.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Someone recommended Pass to me, but it didn't agree with me.

What is the best you have heard

That's interesting. With my Pass amp, I no longer worry about "tube like" sound or "transistor" sound, as it sounds real and that's what I'm after. To me, the Pass sound is like having the the best characteristics of tube and transistor amps in one (two) amp(s).

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I agree Steve. The OP needs to anty up the info on system and model of Pass he heard when he says...didn't agree with him. Now that I have Valhalla between amp and speaker...all you hear is the music....

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The older VFET amps can come close. Triode like response, natural tone and note decay, huge three dimensional imaging and specific imaging within the sound stage that makes one wonder whether there is a channel imbalance until an equally discrete sound comes from the other side.

They are bit more restrained than tubes, kind of like nuvistors. Also sound fantasitic with headphones. Unfortunately, abandoned in the early 80's due to manufacturing cost, but now resurrected in expensive SIT(VFET) amps by Nelson Pass (5000 smackeroonies for 10 watt single ended SIT) and some boutique Japanese manufactures.

Or, just get an older Yamaha or Sony and have it refurbished.

Have not heard any other solid state device that gets as close to actual tube sound. Other kinds of FET's can sometimes have a tube characteristic or two, but not like VFET.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I agree Steve. The OP needs to anty up the info on system and model of Pass he heard when he says...didn't agree with him. Now that I have Valhalla between amp and speaker...all you hear is the music....

+1.. I've had tubes in my system and the Pass XA .5 series is as close as I've heard. I don't want to change.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The Moscode402au

dennisE

Jun 20, 2012
Reno
Hi Joe,
I don't know. I bought it on a lark in an Ebay auction. It had to be 10 years old but all that I had read on the internet led me to believe that Gamut has bought Sirius and had simply rebadged the Sirius into the GamuT D200. Even the nameplate looks the same, color and size, just GamuT instead of Sirius. I guess that would be the MK I. At the time my amp was the Goldmund Stellavox PW1s. They are monoblocks and I liked them so much I had hardly tried another amp for maybe 3 years (Well one, the Yamamoto A-08). But this stereo Sirius box. I sold the PW1s maybe three days later on Audiogon (back when it was good).
D

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
From what I understand Sirius just changed name to GamuT some years ago. The company and the designer is the same. However the main designer from that time Ole Lund Christensen is no longer with the company. Now it is Ole's partner from that time Lars Goeller who is the main designer.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Moscode something-or-other
Apt-Holman (? sp)
Counterpoint SA220
Hafler DH200
Carver's whatever-it-was, ended up with a tube/SS switch on the back or something like that

All having MOSFET or similar output stages, I think (not sure about the A-H).

And yes I know I'm dating myself...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
And yes I know I'm dating myself...

I don't know if anyone has studied the age demographics, but we just might have more old roosters than we have spring chickens on WBF.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
If i'm dating myself, and I get past third base, is that the same as self abuse?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Whew, I guess I'm safe, then.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing