Have you played around with MBL positioning? Do MBL love walls?

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
In my experience, the MBLs are one of the most forgiving speakers with far less effects of walls. Since 101E MkIIs have 'subwoofers' that are conventional cone type, they behave similar to other subwoofers - liking to be placed near room boundaries. However, the mids and high drivers do like to be away from walls for better imaging like other conventional speakers... but far less detrimental if you can't placement them in ideal positions.

One of my 101Es are around both 4' away from the side walls but one is 8' away from the back wall and the other is less than 4' away. I still get pretty much balanced sound.

Reactions: engadin

caesar

May 30, 2010
In my experience, the MBLs are one of the most forgiving speakers with far less effects of walls. Since 101E MkIIs have 'subwoofers' that are conventional cone type, they behave similar to other subwoofers - liking to be placed near room boundaries. However, the mids and high drivers do like to be away from walls for better imaging like other conventional speakers... but far less detrimental if you can't placement them in ideal positions.

One of my 101Es are around both 4' away from the side walls but one is 8' away from the back wall and the other is less than 4' away. I still get pretty much balanced sound.

Thanks, Ki. Was it a lot of trial and error to arrive at your placement?

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Thanks, Ki. Was it a lot of trial and error to arrive at your placement?

Hi Caesa:

Oh..Yes! I had the MBLs at the opposite end of the room with symmetrical walls but due suck out at the ~50Hz region to low ceiling (8'), I had to move them.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I am using the 111F's which according to a couple of dealers are less forgiving of placement than the 101e's. They indicated that the omni-directional radiation pattern of the 101 series allows you to get them closer to the walls and corners.

I used MBL's directions in the 111f's owners manual and that seemed to work nicely in my room. As suggested I did place some fake trees to act as diffusers and added GIK ArtPanels to improve the sound.

Jim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing