Horns, Horns, Horns

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
nphoto1

I find the prototype better looking than the "final" products .. They look too much like giant butterflies :( > Now are these 15 inches drivers or 15 inches compression drivers? ... They look like regular woofers to me

Hi Frantz,

I am not quite sure about the 15" drivers, you may be quite correct and I think that I may be mistaken; I may have misread what Larry Borden of Stereo Times had reported. This is what Larry Borden of Stereo Times reported about the OMA New Yorker speakers; Larry has the 2nd pair of speakers that look like mine:

I am a fan of high-efficiency speakers, both for their SET amp-friendliness, and for their incredible dynamics. Whereas many such speakers use horn-loaded compression drivers for the highs and mids, bass frequencies pose a considerable problem. Low frequencies require very large horns, which are impractical in most settings. Many designers therefore opt for “traditional” woofers, but this brings its own set of problems, namely one of integration. The new OMA New Yorker speaker is a two way design, encompassing twin 15" neodymium extreme high efficiency woofers with a conical horn and neodymium compression driver. The horn is cast in aluminum by OMA at a foundry in Pennsylvania, where the speaker is built by hand using select hardwoods such as Pennsylvania walnut, cherry and ash. The main body of the speaker enclosure is constructed from 25mm Baltic Birch ply, veneered and finished by hand with Tung oil. The unique twin woofer configuration affords a kind of front horn loading, increasing bass efficiency and minimizing room interactions to a great degree. An optional solid hardwood set of baffles or "wings" further increases this effect. The New Yorker's unique design allows perfect time alignment of all drivers.

Overall efficiency is 105db/1w/1m, frequency response -3db 30hz to 20khz.

Rich

Last edited:

fastslappy

Jun 4, 2011
Sounds to me like conventional dynamic drivers that are horn-loaded by the cabinet.

Wicked impressive specs...

Yeah that's what they look like to me, looks like a hybrid between a horn loaded bass & still can act as a radiator , A best of both worlds effect . It would appear that some of the bass response is off loaded into the cabinet & but still they have a Direct radiator effect as well

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Looks to me there is ome kind of horn-loading going on with the upper register of the woofers .. The size of the "horn" loading could work in the lower medium say round 300 Hz and up .. Speculating here .. 105 dB is a beautiful number abd the 30 Hz reach very satisfying .. i still find N'photo1 protoypes better looking than the "finished" products...

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Jonathan Weiss of OMA has not made the official listing on the OMA website for the 2 way OMA Monarch speakers. Apparently they will be available with and without the wings as can be seen in this link:

http://www.oswaldsmillaudio.com/Products/monarch.html

The 4th photo on the website looks much more like my OMA New Yorker Prototype speakers:

Jonathan is now reporting the efficiency of the speakers at 104 dB/1w/1m as opposed to the 105 dB11w/1m that I have reported. Jonathan had told me initially 104.5 dB which I then reported as 105 dB.

Jonathan has also formally announced and listed the top of the line 4 way OMA Imperia speakers:

http://oswaldsmillaudio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=511.0;topicseen

http://www.oswaldsmillaudio.com/Products/imperia.html

Rich

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Too bad there is not more information up on the site. It doesn't really tell you all that much about them aside for the sensitivity which in itself doesn't really say a lot either.

Rob:)

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Too bad there is not more information up on the site. It doesn't really tell you all that much about them aside for the sensitivity which in itself doesn't really say a lot either.

Rob:)

Hi Rob,

Sorry, but it seems that Jonathan Weiss is only going to divulge so much. As you know, I have the prototypes of the Monarchs (the New Yorkers which I auditioned at the Mill before they were delivered), auditioned the Minis in my home, and auditioned either the AC1 or the AC2 speakers at the Mill (only of these speakers in the website), and I have seen the Imperia speakers at the Mill but have never heard them. In person the Imperia speakers are very imposing.

Rich

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
^^^ Yeah, you know you're an audiophile when..........you look up and this is your rig ^^^

BTW, welcome to the WBF MartinV56!

triode

Jul 20, 2010
Boca Raton, FL
My Avantgarde Duo Omegas, 107dB sensitivity and full range...when driven by the mighty Lamms, this is heaven for me.

Attachments

• big rig resized &#49.jpg
    big rig resized &#49.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 1,755

bwraudio

Jan 24, 2011
A dream horn system

Has anyone heard this huge horn system.

Attachments

• mainview..jpg
    mainview..jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,553
  • diagramsmall..jpg
    diagramsmall..jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,501

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Avantgarde Acoustic TRIO

Does anyone have first hand experience with the new Avantgarde G2 Omega Trios?
The G2 Trios with the latest crossovers were available from approximately 2010.
Thank you in advance for replys.
zz

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing