Horns, Horns, Horns

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
If I then slouch down at night for long periods my shoulder muscles tend to go into spasm-Mr Plywood fixed that
Interesting, seems like the Eames chair may force you to lay back for your own good.

I do some reading and sketching while listening to stereo, the StressLess chairs seem better suited for this. However the plywood wonder Eames lounge chair has even more style than the StressLess.

You need what we call in the USA a "yard sale" or "garage sale" to get ride of some of those extra chairs.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I believe that my Oswald's Mill Audio OMA New Yorker Prototype horn speakers should now be completed. I am scheduled to audition the speakers at the Oswald's Mill Monday, August 2 at 2:00 PM. I have already auditioned their larger and more expensive AC2 horn speakers at the Mill and the smaller Mini horn speakers in my own listening room. The OMA New Yorker speakers according to Jonathan Weiss of Oswald's Mill Audio has indicated that the speakers are superior to their larger more expensive AC2 speakers. I will make my decision Monday (and I think that is almost a given) that I will keep the speakers. Once the decision is made, I think that they should be delivered perhaps at the end of next week or sometime the following week. Once I have them in hand I will post photos and I may post some comments after the audition.

Rich

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Well I suffer from a terminal variation of this disease:

Oh Yes you do!! :D ... Don't look for any cure ... Really beautiful room ..

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
It now looks like my Oswaldsmill Audio New Yorker prototype speakers may be delivered this weekend or early next week. As I have mentioned, I will post photos once I have them.

Oswaldsmill Audio just finally announced their top of the line Imperia speakers which sell for a fair amount above $100,000 a pair.

http://oswaldsmillaudio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=459.msg3270;boardseen#new

My OMA New Yorker speakers will be as efficient as the Imperia speakers.

Here are some photos of the Imperia speakers:

Rich

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
My Prototypes of the Oswaldsmill Audio OMA New Yorker speakers were delivered yesterday. Below are photos of the speakers.

The first three photos are of the 2 Oswaldsmill Audio OMA New Yorker Speakers and the Nola LCR Reference Center Channel speaker along with my Pioneer Elite Plasma TV.

The forth photo is of the left OMA New Yorker Prototype speaker.

The fifth photo is of the right OMA New Yorker Prototype speaker.

The sixth photo is of the side of the horn on the left New Yorker Prototype speaker.

The OMA New Yorker speakers are a 2 way compression horn design consisting of 2 15" woofers and a horn tweeter/midrange driver. The speakers have an efficiency of approximately 105 dB/1w/1m. They are large being approximately 42" W, 23" D, and 56" H. According to Jonathan Weiss the production OMA New Yorkers will probably sell for $36,000 for the pair. For the speakers to look like my Prototype speakers which are finished for me the way that I wanted them, they will be more money, but I do not know what the price will be. My speakers are beautifully finished with a Cherry Veneer and the Black Phaser that can be seen between the 2 woofers. My horn drivers on the top of the speakers are sitting on feet. The standard Production model will not be finished in the Cherry Veneer, will have a grill (not the Phaser), and the horns should be attached to the cabinets.

The speakers sound phenomenal, much better than the rebuilt Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers that they replace. They are extraordinarily detailed and dynamic. I am going to have to fine tune their position with time. But, even as they are placed now in the room, vinyl, CDs, and Blu-ray discs are stunning. We listened to part of Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Bach on Vinyl and Jonathan Weiss felt that the sound was spectacular.

I am hearing a little hiss through the speakers probably from the amps and also from time to time I may be getting a little ground loop hum. I will have to see what I can do about this.

We also ran the test on the sound for the room and it came out actually quite good for a room without any Acoustic Treatments. We discussed some of this and will install some later. Jonathan thinks the last bit of detail will come through once we get the Acoustic Treatments in place.

Rich

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Here is my last DIY project. A pair or JBL Synthesis 1400 clones. The main differences are I am running the same Be drivers used in the 9800 K2 as well as Charge Coupled crossover. Lots of fun to build took a couple of months to get the cabinets built, measurements done and crossovers built. Well worth it though. My next project is going to be a Center Channel using the same Horn.

Rob:)

Attachments

• Dsc02340..jpg
    Dsc02340..jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 2,020

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I didn't know it was a clone until you said so Ron. Wow.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
@jdza These horns have a slight carnivorous look to them, especially the back-lit shot. Has anyone gone missing in your house? Can you enlighten and entertain us with more details? How did you design them? What woods are used? Whatever possessed you do to this in the first place? There must be a great story here...

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
My time with Avantgarde

I had the opportunity of owning a pair of Avantgarde Uno speakers for almost 18 months, sound reproduction was vivid, dynamic and fast..so fast that the subwoofer had a lot of issues to keep pace with the horns, which made me constantly changing the volume and xover setup in the back of the sub to amminorate that shortcoming.

Yes, horns are seductive, clean sounding and very transparent ( have I mentioned FAST?).. at the end I leaned towards a more integrated, musical and better tone of my current dynamic speakers to the thrilling sound of the Avantgardes.

A good friend is experimenting with a horn prototype that looks very promising, based on some coaching from Romy the Cat, I will post some pix once I figure out how I can upload them in this forum.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Jonathan Weiss of OMA has just posted a cell phone photo of their new Monarch speaker- which is the production name and version of my OMA New Yorker Prototype speakers. They will post official photos, etc. on their website soon, but this is what Jonathan is terming a teaser photo taken with his cell phone:

For those that want to compare, this is what the New Yorkers look like in Prototype form:

Rich

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I am quite surprised that no one has made any comment regarding the appearance of the new OMA Monarch speaker that I posted above and is the new production name for my OMA New Yorker speaker prototypes.

Again, here is the teaser photo from Jonathan Weiss of OMA (photos and info to be posted on the OMA website shorty):

They are certainly a very interesting design with the shape of a butterfly.

Again, my OMA New Yorkers prototypes look like this for comparison:

To the best of knowledge when Jonathan had described what the production speakers were to look like he indicated that they were to still sound like my speakers.

Rich

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I am quite surprised that no one has made any comment regarding the appearance of the new OMA Monarch speaker that I posted above and is the new production name for my OMA New Yorker speaker prototypes.
They are certainly a very interesting design with the shape of a butterfly.
Rich

What do you want people to say? They look like a stacked pair of butterflies with a roach head. Butt ugly in my opinion, but I was going to keep it to myself until you felt the need to repost the pictures and ask for comments.

I'm not a big fan of butterflies anymore. I think of them as flies with big wings. Every week when I scoop the dog crap out of my yard, I just have to follow the butterflies to know where the crap is. Butterflies are all over it just like flies.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Hi Mike,

Yes, they are a 2 way system with 2 15" (I believe I misread the Stereo Times report and they are not compression) drivers and the single midrange/tweeter compression driver mounted in the powder coated cast aluminum metal horns. The drivers use Neodymium magnets. I am not sure of the size of the midrange/tweeter.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
nphoto1

I find the prototype better looking than the "final" products .. They look too much like giant butterflies :( > Now are these 15 inches drivers or 15 inches compression drivers? ... They look like regular woofers to me

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing