Horns, Horns, Horns

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
I am using horns big horns at that, they started out as 1977 Klipsch Corner horns. I have since removed all the stock Klipsch internals and replaced them with upgrades, still using the Klipsch cabinets. Now I have 2' BMS drivers and 2' wooden tractrix horns, with an upgraded tweeter, and woofer. They are 118db sensitive, of course I have them padded down to create balance between all the drivers. This enables me to be able to use just about any amp I want, right now it's a Korneff 45 SET 1.5 WPC.

Jay

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
As a huge live music fan, I love horns and one day I want to own a pair. Their liveliness makes most conventional dynamic speakers sound dead by comparison. Was looking for new speakers over the last couple of years -- was excited to audition some Avantgardes, the Duo I think it was -- the midrange was obviously colored. Asked the dealer about it, but he said that's how they are. Still think they were defective or improperly setup somehow despite very expensive upstream components. Was a disappointing day of listening as we went to the dealer's next room up -- listened to some uber expensive, highly regarded European speakers that were among the worst values I've ever heard in audio.

Anyway, seems horns are making a bit of a comeback and audiophiles are more accepting of them rather than prejudging that they are hard sounding, etc.

Last edited:

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
As a huge live music fan, I love horns and one day I want to own a pair. Their liveliness makes most conventional dynamic speakers sound dead by comparison. Was looking for new speakers over the last couple of years -- was excited to audition some Avantgardes, the Duo I think it was -- the midrange was obviously colored. Asked the dealer about it, but he said that's how they are. Still think they were defective or improperly setup somehow despite very expensive upstream components. Was perhaps my most disappointing day of listening as we went to the dealer's next room up -- listened to some uber expensive, highly regarded European speakers that were among the worst values I've ever heard in audio.

Anyway, seems horns are making a bit of a comeback and audiophiles are more accepting of them rather than prejudging that they are hard sounding, etc.

I am getting some horn speakers made for me by Jonathan Weiss of Oswald's Mill Audio. I hope to have them in several weeks.

If you can afford them, I have had the opportunity to audition a smaller Oswald's Mill Audio OMA Mini speakers in my listening room. They are really extremely good. Here is the link:

http://www.oswaldsmillaudio.com/Products/Mini.html

and a photo:

Rich

Last edited:

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I love horns and have owned many over the years. I did the whole LaScalla and Cornwall thing for a while. I built JBL corner horns and my present horn system in the living room.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Bruised my chin on the floor. Wow! Yep, when horns come up you're the relaxed guy at the end of the table with a handful of aces.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Now, I thought had seen just about everything. I am speechless... Klipschorns I own uses the room walls as extensions of the last folds of the horns but... your room is the horn or is the horn your room? Yes, and just now I have seen it all... I am not worthy!

Thanks for the most amazing sight.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Well I suffer from a terminal variation of this disease:

Pretty cool. Do you keep the equipment or software locked away in that closet in the middle? :)

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Hi Johan,
It has been awhile since our last communication, how are you? What have you been up to? The last time we spoke you told me that your Sophia had feel out of favor, what did you replace her with? I still have mine but, I recently moved to a 45 tube based amp!!!

Jay

jdza

May 3, 2010
Hi Johan,
It has been awhile since our last communication, how are you? What have you been up to? The last time we spoke you told me that your Sophia had feel out of favor, what did you replace her with? I still have mine but, I recently moved to a 45 tube based amp!!!

Jay

Hello Jay

The Sophia was never a favourite as a full range amp but did quite wellll as an upper mid amp However the Yamamoto A08s is tonally a closer match to the low power class A amps I use for the other compression drivers

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Now there is an erie similarity, my choices for the 45 amps were the Yammy or the Korneff. I ended up with the Korneff because a friend made me a deal I could not pass up.

Jay
Hello Jay

The Sophia was never a favourite as a full range amp but did quite wellll as an upper mid amp However the Yamamoto A08s is tonally a closer match to the low power class A amps I use for the other compression drivers

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Holy Smokes! Hats off to you jdza!

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
jdza........a question about your listening seat.

Sorry about the clown, it's the only photo of a Eames lounge chair with a person in it which I could find. However it does show the 15 degree looking up seating position which places your eyes looking at the juncture of wall meets ceiling. This is the so-called "Day Dreaming" position.

The photo may also show that it is a less than 18 inch high seat, which is not prime for everyone.

How does this affect your listening experience? Do you find yourself pulling your head forward and slipping a pillow behind your head so you are seated more straight up?

I love that chair, but have reservations about its functionality. Questions which can only be answered by a person who has lived and used a the chair in the same manner I would.

Attachments

• eames-1..jpg
    eames-1..jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,043
  • Ottoman..jpg
    Ottoman..jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,044

jdza

May 3, 2010
jdza........a question about your listening seat.

Sorry about the clown, it's the only photo of a Eames lounge chair with a person in it which I could find. However it does show the 15 degree looking up seating position which places your eyes looking at the juncture of wall meets ceiling. This is the so-called "Day Dreaming" position.

The photo may also show that it is a less than 18 inch high seat, which is not prime for everyone.

How does this affect your listening experience? Do you find yourself pulling your head forward and slipping a pillow behind your head so you are seated more straight up?

I love that chair, but have reservations about its functionality. Questions which can only be answered by a person who has lived and used a the chair in the same manner I would.

Heh.heh.heh

My wife and I call it the battle of the listening chairs. Over a 2 year period we bought a chair every few months so that the house is now filled with chairs in every corner.It was so weird. I even put a microphone in my ears ' position and ran RTA plots on the various chairs. The effect of high back and horror oh horror, wingbacks on the graphs was amazing!

Some had backs that were too high,some were too upright,some this some that until my wife one day just burst out "Buy an Eames then,its the most expensive,takes up most space,its the wrong colour ,doesn't suit the decor in that room and its made from plywood but at least you'll stop then" -and I did -7 chairs (! ) later it is the last listening chair I'll ever buy.

I spend my days standing hunched in akward positions for hours wearing loupes with fixed focal length. If I then slouch down at night for long periods my shoulder muscles tend to go into spasm-Mr Plywood fixed that and to be honest the waves lauched by speakers that large don't mind a few inches higher or lower provided there is nothing behind your head-so sit up and drift away!It measures well too!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing