A new Sonus Faber speaker or... a great tease

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
The Ex3ma is just a PR stunt, which aim is to serve company image, not music lovers.
Have you heard the Ex3ma?

Spoke to my dealer who was at the event and purchased a pair.

He said the bass is more realistic than any box speaker he's heard(WA & Magico dealer).

I can't wait to them.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
That is why I said it is nothing more than a PR stunt.

Franco Serblin would never create a product just for the sake company image.

Sonus is now a completely different company, with very aggressive sales targets for the distributors and loads of money spent on marketing. They are like other corporations now, where Excel rules and the vision of the original creator, the soul of music - is lost. And that is unfortunate.

I think you have a point here, Adam. Franco was all about reproducing the music and at the same time trying to build a speaker that was an artistic success as well. I doubt that marketing was primary in his thought process. When the SF Memento's were released, to me it was obvious that the "big corp" mentality had won out and the cost cutting had begun. Today, I'm not so sure IF that is continuing with SF, although their foray into off-shore cabinet building would suggest it; PLUS their stunt with the EX3ma reeks of a marketing ploy, IMO.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
From hificlube

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
I'm sure Adam hasn't heard the Ex3ma.

IMO, this was not PR stunt, just look at the pictures of the drivers and other components, it was a demonstration of R&D strength.

With the power of the Fine Sounds Group behind them, they have a plan to be "the" major player in Hiend audio.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have to say we have different views about Sonus Faber.

Please note, that I'm not talking about Sonus faber products, how good thay look or sound (sth you seem to be addressing), but the company and its current policy. Two different things.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I'm sure Adam hasn't heard the Ex3ma.

IMO, this was not PR stunt, just look at the pictures of the drivers and other components, it was a demonstration of R&D strength.

With the power of the Fine Sounds Group behind them, they have a plan to be "the" major player in Hiend audio.

No I didn't. A friend of mine went to the party and did. But that is irrelevent as I'm not questioning its build (it is very inpressive) or sound quality.

What pupose does such a 'demonstration of R&D strength' serve other than PR ? If it was created to serve music lovers, the speaker wouldn't be a limited production item, available to the lucky few, but a regular product. But then, certain exclusivity ingredient would be lost, which in turn would weaken its PR / marketing effect.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Please note, that I'm not talking about Sonus faber products, how good thay look or sound (sth you seem to be addressing), but the company and its current policy. Two different things.

Due to my interest in the Aida's I had been following the participation of Livio Cucuzza and Paolo Tezzon in italian audio forums, in the press and the internet and got a different idea from yours about the company policy. Surely they are now a multimillion company, and must delegate a lot on their distributors. It is not a family owned small business anymore.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Am I the only one who think this should/could have been a Magico product? Aluminum front and back, copper accent, carbon and beryllium, Mundorf parts…

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Am I the only one who think this should/could have been a Magico product? Aluminum front and back, copper accent, carbon and beryllium, Mundorf parts…

It takes a lot more than a few coincidences on materials to create a similarity between speakers, and the use of massive wood is a key aspect in Sonus Faber, not anymore in Magico. In spite of Magico having several types of speakers with very different sound signatures - I really appreciated the M5 and the Mini II - IMHO no Magico has a sound signature similar to those of the Aida or the TheSonusfaber.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing