What is Your Computer Based System?

Bigfish8

Apr 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I would be interested to know the composition of your computer based systems? Mine is as follows:

Western Digital Fire Wire 800 Ext. Hard Drive containing music files in .aiff format.
Music is fed via fire wire to a Mac Mini containing 4 GB of Ram and an internal Solid State Drive.
I am using Pure Music as the player software.
Digital Stream is being fed from the Mac Mini via db Audio Labs USB cable to
Tranquility DAC (note: this is the only USB device connected to this Mini) to
Mapletree 2A-SE Preamp with Tung-Sol 6SN7 Round Plates to
Moscode 402 AU AMP to
Usher Dancer Mini II Speakers
PCs - Black Sand Silver MK-V's
SCs- JPS Superconductor 3
ICs - JPS Superconducor 3's

Ken

Last edited:

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I stream from iTunes w/music encoded in Apple Lossless (w/a few 24/96 Flac albums from HDtracks) to a couple of Squeezebox Touchs using S/PDIF coax out. One feeds a Cary 303/200 CD player/ DAC --> ARC Ref 5 pre/210 amps --> VMPS RM40s. The other into a Tact Mini --> ATC 20-2 active speakers/REL sub. Also an Airport Express via toslink --> Cambridge Magic DAC --> Primaluna Prologue 2 --> Guru QM10s

I've been a hardcore streamer for several years now, was no turning back pretty much from moment one. Very happy the new SB Touch streams 24/96, finally an inexpensive way to do so. It's a very polished device.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
I also have an original Squeeze Box with the optical SPDIF going into my Wadia 861xi player. Flac files are streamed over WiFi from a PC located at the under side of the house. Files are backed up in duplicate nightly to an HP MediaSmart server and monthly to a USB drive which is stored offsite. This ends up sounding almost as good as seedees played directly on the Wadia.

I have a number of high resolution files 24/192 and am looking for an upgrade to the Squeeze Box that will play these files...Much as I like what I hear about the Tape Project, I think hi-rez digital is going to be the future (certainly for me).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have a number of high resolution files 24/192 and am looking for an upgrade to the Squeeze Box that will play these files...Much as I like what I hear about the Tape Project, I think hi-rez digital is going to be the future (certainly for me).

John while I agree with you, you must hear some TP tapes before rendering a decision

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I built a music server from scratch based on an Intel MB, Intel I5 CPU, 4 gigs of DDR 3 1600 Mhz Ram, Seagate 1 TB HD, media monkey, and USB EMU outboard DAC. I can play any digital file with up to 24/192 resolution. Still sounds like digital though and I mainly use it if I trying to break something in and just want to run continuous music through my system.

I have a central server which carries all files, including the music and movies. It is built on an Asus mobo, AMD quadcore, 3x Seagate 500 GB in RAID 0 and 8 GB RAM on Win 7 64. Soundcard is an outboard Soundblaster Live USB using optical into my Angstrom 200 at 24/48000. My LAN is all wired at 1 Gbps. Software is mediamonkey (terrible name - why not something like musicmaster? etc?) and Videolan.

The drives are nearly full and I will upgrade to 3 x 1.5 TB (or more) in future.

As a matter of routine all my files are converted at/to 24/48000 irrespective of the source - no it doesn't improve anything at lower rates but it's just a practice. Does seem to do a better job when restoring vinyl though.

Sadly, it's all going into storage in a week's time for a year and then it will be a laptop and 1.5TB USB drive and Phillips SHP2000 headphones. These were a revelation at about a tenth of the price after my Sennheisers gave up the ghost. Maybe I'll get some Berhinger monitors to tide me over.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
John while I agree with you, you must hear some TP tapes before rendering a decision

Steve, I should have qualified that my Squeezebox/Wadia brew is just for background listening when guests are over for dinner. I am only now beginning to investigate "serious" digital that is competitive with vinyl or tape. Maybe it doesn't yet exist?

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I've got a 3TB ReadyNas NV+ server with 2,000+ CD's ripped uncompressed in AIFF files in a gear closet that is connected to:

1) Wireless router for access by all computers in house -- everyone has Mac laptops and we have a few Mac desktops around.

2) Hard wired to Sonos system -- 14 zones with all but one of the zone players residing in gear closet (you wire to one and it connects wirelessly to the others).

12 Zone Players are then connected to two 12 channel NAD amplifiers which are wired to Noble Fidelity in-ceiling speakers (Fantastic sounding in-ceiling speakers if you have to go that route!)

1 Zone player is connected to a Crown i-4000 1,000 WPC 70 volt two channel amplifier which powers a 17.1 Ambisonic outdoor system (Fantastic sounding outdoor system!)

3) The ReadyNas is also hard wired to the whole house via gigabit ethernet.

In my listening room, I take a Cat6 feed from the wall to a Sonos Zone Player, which goes via SPDiF to an Apogee Mini-Dac, which goes via balanced interconnects to two Levinson 436 Monoblocks and finally to two vintage Monitor Audio Studio 60 speakers.

I control the whole system wirelessly with either Sonos hand held controllers, Mac Laptops loaded with desktop controller software, or with Apple i-phones loaded with Sonos app.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Don't know if anyone is interested, but I built all the computers in my studio, except for the 2 Macs which serve as render farms and video production.
The main mastering computer consists of:

Windows XP Pro
Intel DP35DP mobo
Intel Q9550 cpu
Corsair 4GB ram
nVidia Quadro FX video
(2) Intel X-25 SSD for OS and for working projects
Plextor Blu-ray burner
Antec 4u server case with Antec 1000w PS

12TB LaCie storage server and Avid/Digidesign ftp server

Pyramix 6.2 MassCore with MADI and SDIF-3 interface to DAD AX24 and EMM Labs ADC/DAC 8IV converters using JPS Labs SC3 BNC cables.

Regards,

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
I bought a little Acer mini-notebook to store/play music via Itunes. Feed it into an Ayre QB-9 through some unknown interconnect cable (what cable SHOULD I use?). Also have a separate hard drive to store bits (like a friends digitized Westminster masters). KISS works for me!

Charles

Bigfish8

Apr 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I bought a little Acer mini-notebook to store/play music via Itunes. Feed it into an Ayre QB-9 through some unknown interconnect cable (what cable SHOULD I use?). Also have a separate hard drive to store bits (like a friends digitized Westminster masters). KISS works for me!

Charles

Charles:

The Ayre QB-9 has some very favorable reviews as a USB DAC. I presume the unknown interconnect cable is a USB cable from the Acer Mini-notebook to the DAC? If you are interested in a quality audio USB Cable can you indicate approximately what you are willing to spend for one and I am certain some of us can make recommendations for your consideration.

Ken

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Both AudioQuest and Wireworld have a wide range of USB cables at various price points. You may find that the USB output on your Acer mini-notebook may not be as good as that on a high-spec machine (e.g., HP HDX 18 or dvt8) that's designed for digital media applications. This could make evaluating cables a bit tricky.

cal87

Jun 14, 2010
Tracy, CA
I have about half of my CD library ripped to flac on a second drive on my Windows 7 computer in my home office
Currently using MediaMonkey
ASUS Xonar Essence ST sound card
Parasound P3 Preamp
Genelec 8020A/7050A Speakers

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I did all of mine while I was using my computer. Multi-tasking to the max! :D It was a bit tedious at times but much less so than sitting there just to do that.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
My computer based system tries to achieve a pretty high target, and I’ve finally gotten there after a decade of hardware swaps, tweaks and messing around.

The goals:
  • Full 8 channel digital feed from PC to processor
  • Ability to play back ripped DVD-A and downloaded high-rez multichannel albums
  • Ability to either natively decode and play the tracks or to ‘push’ them to DLNA renderers
  • Ability to bitstream DTS, AC3, DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD to the processor
  • Ability to remote control the Playback selection from an iPad/iPhone
  • Provide visualizations for the music to be played on the HT projector
  • Provide as high-quality a source of audio signals as possible

What it takes:

First is a processor/preamp capable of HDMI input, I use the mighty Denon AVP A1-HDci
I documented the PC setup in some detail at the AVP preamp Wiki site, so read that

The use of FooBar2000 is key, as is its use of WASAPI audio paths
Adding the following plug-ins to Foobar help me achieve some of the goals:
Foo-upnp – provides the ability to create playlists in Foobar and ‘push’ them to a DLNA renderer. I use this to push files to my Denon AVP.
Foo-remote – provides for full playlist selection and browsing using the super-cool Apple Remote app. Yes, you no longer need to use iTunes to be able to use Remote to manage and select audio. Works perfectly, love this ability, it totally transforms the experience.
Visualization tool of your choice, MilkDrop is my favorite.

How it’s used:

This is the nice part, but still a bit techy. It assumes your PC is running 24/7, which mine is as it is also the whole house file server as well as the automation system controller. Since that server happens to sit in the same air-conditioned equipment room as the rest of my audio gear, all it takes is one 4’ HDMI cable to link them up.
I leave Foobar running, which provides the remote capabilities, and it has five or six main playlists pre-loaded.

Whenever I want to listen to the music server, I just select that input on the avp, and using the Apple Remote on my iPhone, pick a playlist, such as my multichannel DVD-A rips, and pick an album or song, hit play, and voila, full 5.1 24/96 resolution music is playing through the system, no physical intervention required.
Want to switch to 2ch music ripped from CD’s, no problem, just pick a playlist that contains those. If that playlist contains DTS tracks as well, the AVP immediately recognizes a bitstreamed multichannel signal, and switches into DTS mode. If the next reack is stereo, it immediately goes back to 2ch PCM 16/44 and keeps trucking.
Amazing usability coupled with as pristine an audio path as one could want.

For the final layer of cool, fire up the projector, pick up the PC remote keyboard (I use and RF slimline all-in one with pointer control), start the visualization and enjoy the cool light show synched to music on the 100” screen.

Great way to chill and enjoy some awesome tunes.

The details on my rig are too extensive to list here, so just click on over to my site and see pages of details and pics. It’s big, complex, highly customized and delivers the best performance I’ve ever heard.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
After reading this thread I'm reminded why I purchased a packaged system (Qsonix). Great user interface, plays hi Rez music, multiple zones. Probably costs 3x a DIY solution but works for me (and to think my first 5 years out of college were as a computer programmer)

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
My Custom-Built Music Server

My Audio Society friend, Gary Koh, has a white paper on the front page of his company website, Genesis Loudspeakers, about how to build a server. Even better, if you're near Seattle, become a Pacific Northwest Audio Society member and build one with us.

Here are the specs on my server:

Motherboard: Super Micro C2SEA
Power Supply: Silverstone Nightjar Fanless
Memory: 4GB DDR3 1066
Display: 58" Samsung by HDMI
Case: GMC Toast
Heatsink: Scythe Ninja
Processor: Intel 2.8, 65W, Dual Core
Hard Drive: Samsung 1TB F3
Disc Drive: Pioneer 12x Blu-ray burner
Player Software: Foobar
USB Cable: Entreq Konstantain
DAC: Wyred4Sound DAC 2 (24/192)

Misc Details:

• The case interior is sprayed with EMI/RFI coating.
  • The system is fanless, except for one fan on the CPU heatsink (because of the Blu-ray processing demand).
  • The OS is tweaked from the Black Viper website.
  • The PC serves as a music and home theater server. Blu-ray discs can be played from the drive, using the PowerDVD 9 player, but I also have Slysoft software, which can transfer the Blu-ray to the hard drive or a blank disc. 40 Blu-rays takes up 1TB of drive space, so it's not quite practical to store movies on the PC; 3TB drives will be out soon and a RAID server with 2TB drives could store hundreds of discs (with some hardware cost).
  • When you buy memory, check the spec on your motherboard to make sure the voltage is compatible.
  • I recommend using FLAC or ALAC, instead of WAV, because WAV does not store the tags in the file, which is a problem with some software. Many people have performed serious blind testing and found no audible difference between the compressed and uncompressed formats. If you can afford a solid state drive, you'll want the extra drive space.

Last edited:

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
I have over a music library from 2500 CDs, a few LPs and a number of concert recordings made from broadcasts. Except for a few MP3 singles from Amazon, the permanent library is in Flac format. The concert recordings are a mix of MP3 and Flac. I created a subset in MP3 format for use on an 80 GB iPod. it all takes 660 GB of disk space.

I have a dedicated MusicPC that supplies music to 3 rooms. The home office has Audioengine A5 powered speakers in a near field application.

PC hardware:
Antec solo case
Seasonic 380 Watt power supply
Intel 945G based motherboard with integrated graphics
Intel E6300 (1.8 GHz)
2 GB Ram
boot drive is a 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate hard drive
music disk is a 1 TB Western Digital 5400 RPM drive
ESI Juli@ sound card (with ASIO driver)
AudioTrak Prodigy HD2 sound card (with ASIO driver)
Audioengine AW1 USB audio device + wireless relay to another room
Old Panamax surge protector & line filter

Software:
Win XP SP2 (mildly tuned to reduce background activity)
J. River media center 12 (and v. 15 on other PCs)
Ultra VNC remote desktop software

laptop for remote control
Intel 1.3 GHz CULV processor
3 GB ram
500 GB hard drive
Win 7
Ultra VNC remote desktop software

It works without problems and sounds good to me. I may get a USB DAC or a DLNA renderer at some point in the future. I'll probably re-implement the MusicPC using current low power components too.

Bill

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
2 WD hard drives (one for backup)>usb>MacBook Pro/iTunes>usb>Trends UD-10>optical/coax>active monitors/headphone system.

P

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing