Battle Royal for a Studer A-820

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Gary D

Jun 26, 2011
I am feeling a top to this market. The players are few, the money is no object. Once the tape bug wears off and the hassle of threading tape sets in these things are going to be hard to hold value. Mike L, I would bail asap on yours and roll the funds into the Darts.

Peter you might be right but I feel this way I love tape like some love vinyl.There is nothing like tape unconstrained warm and beautiful. The machines now I am talking studio decks here Ampex ,Studer,3M, ect are very well built and out of an era that simply doesn't exist anymore.The fun is to buy these decks and restore , modify and ogle if I must say .Like a fine Pininfarina design they are beautiful.But that goes away if the price reaches an outrageous level and this surely was the case than it's not worth it.
Like I said the incentive is to buy low and restore sit back and listen... the sound is marvelous.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
So either the Ebay auction was a scam and the price was artifically inflated or this really represents what someone is willing to pay. The proof in the pudding will be what the next A820 will bring on Ebay.

it's no scam in the sense that it's not real.

i personally know of one bidder who was on it until it hit $22,000. he had been looking for a clean one, and had seen another similar A820 sell in June for $25k. this same guy has been looking high and low and so far has not found one.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Ahhh

it's no scam in the sense that it's not real.

i personally know of one bidder who was on it until it hit $22,000. he had been looking for a clean one, and had seen another similar A820 sell in June for $25k. this same guy has been looking high and low and so far has not found one.

self-report...the best kind.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I am feeling a top to this market. The players are few, the money is no object. Once the tape bug wears off and the hassle of threading tape sets in these things are going to be hard to hold value. Mike L, I would bail asap on yours and roll the funds into the Darts.

thanks Peter; i know you mean well with your advice.

i don't think even these very very nice A820's are worth mid $20k's; but i think that somewhere $10k-$20k for a cosmetically very very clean one is likely the long term value of that deck. opinions on tape decks are like *ssholes, everyone has one. personally for my particular level of expertise, degree of usability, and preference for the look and feel i'm keeping my 2 A820's. i also think that as gentle as the A820 is on tape, that the tapes will tend to last longer. and if one uses custom output electronics, then the A820 is as good as anything in terms of sonic performance.

i've lived with the A820 for 5 years now and i really like it.

if i ever buy the 458's, it will not be by selling my A820's.....but thanks for all the well intentioned advice from everyone.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Alan, if you have a line on one even at a high price, i will send you this guys contact info. let me know. i tried to sell him my ATR-102 telling him that it is even better if not as sexy looking. but he has to have an A820 and a pretty one to boot.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Someone was foolish!

I have to agree. I doubt any professional mastering engineer would dream of paying that amount for a A820. The last one I saw went for 10K on Gearslutz in early 2012. I would never buy that deck without a inspection or some kind of written warranty. Also shipping any studio deck is risky,as the crate must be custom made. Clearly the buyer must have had some information on the deck to pay that kind of price.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
here is the A820 from June that sold for about $25k that my friend told me about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...FdtWRO4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_1133

and here is one that he told me about that did not sell due to the fact that it had issues (smoked out?);

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Studer-A-820...dmaschinen&hash=item19d252603a#ht_5518wt_1159

Never saw that.....ok uncle. Mine for 8K was a deal if one converted it to 1/4 ich because it had every electronics board option that Studer made. Though sound wise every Ampex I have blew it away. I just couldn't understand how the playback lacked so much,given the build quality.

jdza

May 3, 2010
Heh,Heh. No matter what he paid or how mint it is it is still a 20 year old computer with leaky batteries, Frako and ERO motorcaps and really old ICs . If he intends using it it will not stay mint for long.I am tempted to say that a NOS A80 will be more tempting but it too is likely to explode on switch on.

Futhermore I remain so surprised that none of us are jumping on the equally well built ,as good as, brand new AEG mastering machines available at ridiculously low prices from the official agent in Germany:

http://www.hilpert-audio.de/audio/index_e.php?site=geraete&inhalt=geraete/e_geraete_aeg_m20.htm

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
I'm into Studers...

Like I dig Ferraris...
Two Studer A820's, four headstacks, and options...
Charlie Bolois and Martin Berner...I'm WAY CooL with all of it.
About to consummate a deal on a factory-matched, stereo pair of Schoeps CMC65's...
I'm informed Studer repro electronics can and should be advanced...
I'm informed Studer record electronics don't suck too bad...hehe...
Well, I'm fixin' to realize a dream and roll my own...

Studer A820's pull the tape past the heads, sublimely...
There's something to be said regarding pedigree...
Studers and Ferraris
It Ain't All Hype.

BTW, I'm looking for an A827 :)

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.

I can't get too emotional over someone else's spending, and seriously: LOOK at that thing!!!
Where was I again??..
OH!!! Good god, what a beautiful piece of machinery!! Just found an a810 repro for a price I could not refuse, and it looks like a plaything compared to this machine.... Impressive!

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Winning bid was almost 27 grand. Wow.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing