MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
600015_10151009000733360_1211552462_n.jpg

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..and then there's Al "the mechanical man" Gore inventing the internet..

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Myles, I am sure the sane happens in Hi-end audio, many names out there mostly unknown by some (me included of couse) and contributed dramaticaly to the current state-of-affairs.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
If that Poster/comparison is suggesting that Steve Jobs stole the idea of the Macintosh user interface, while I don't think he did, that's not the point. It was initially developed at Palo Alto Research Center (PARC), first put into practical use by Xerox in a connected workstation environment for document handling, but not marketed worth a hoot and then used by Apple who "polished it" (I'm sorry, I could not resist). The rest, as they say, is history.

No, Apple did not develop the interface but they sure did (and still do) know how to market it. In a time when you can buy a screaming laptop (Windows based) for $500 or so, Apple can sell laptops that cost $2700 (new Retina Display MacBooks) and have people standing in line to buy it. While the technology is awesome, the marketing is far superior. Product innovation? Maybe. Great Product marketing? Absolutely! Bill Gates convincing IBM to use DOS! Brilliant. And did they steal/borrow the ideas of DOS from elsewhere? Immaterial. They took advantage of a situation and made better use of it.

In our hobby, the first name that pops into my mind who pulled off the same trick (in a much smaller scale), is Noel Lee. Did he develop the idea that wire might make a difference? I have not done the research, but my guess is that Bob Fulton was first. BRILLIANT !! Another great audio marketing guy? Dave Wilson. I LOVE what he has done for high end audio. They have staying power.

It's all about marketing. Many awesome products/companies fail because they don't understand that truism.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It's all about marketing. Many awesome products/companies fail because they don't understand that truism.

John Dunleavy .. Great speakers but poor marketing... Taking for example jabs at the audiophiles obsession with cables ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing