Speaker positioning, is it just a matter of preference?

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
The main question is that one will never have a flat measured FR. We will get many frequency responses, with different deviations at several frequencies, but there is always a subjective appreciation of which is the best.

Absolutely. Every location gives a different response, with peaks and nulls at different groups of frequencies. The only way to truly approach a flat response is to address the room using bass traps. With bass traps the response is not only flatter overall, but also varies less with placement.

--Ethan

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you want the best of both worlds (imaging and bass) use a separate sub(s) then place mains and subs where each gives the optimum performance!!!

Although it is true in theory, the practice is not so easy. Most of the time, the primitive filtering existing in the subs and their response will not complement properly most monitors, independently of positioning. Unless you have a very good bass management unit, such as the Behringer DCX2496 Ultra-Drive Pro or equivalent integrating a subwoofer in a small room can be a nightmare.

Sorry to be so negative, but 95% of the systems I listened to using subs were a disaster.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Micro, I do agree basically with your post. However, I do believe that with the correct sub that is appropriate for your room size ( This is IMO, a MAJOR factor) it is possible to get a great blend. As Ethan correctly points out, bass trapping is a MAJOR factor in this equation. I know it helped greatly in my ability to get my REL to disappear in the mix.
Ethan, I do agree with you completely in regards to your statement about a flat playback response. That is IF you are interested in reproducing what is exactly in the electrical signal. Which I believe should be one of the goals of all a'philes.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Hi DaveyF,

I think speaker positioning is very much a matter of preference.
However, this should not be confused with optimal speaker positioning for best performance from the speakers. ;-}

It seems far fewer understand that in audio, the speakers are the "projector" and the room is the "screen"....

Often the room is furnished before the speakers arrive. Not that many have the good fortune to decide on speaker position *first*, then arrange everything else in the room around that.

Best regards,
Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Very good post and one in which we should all use (the projector example) to educate ourselves and our friends.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Although it is true in theory, the practice is not so easy. Most of the time, the primitive filtering existing in the subs and their response will not complement properly most monitors, independently of positioning. Unless you have a very good bass management unit, such as the Behringer DCX2496 Ultra-Drive Pro or equivalent integrating a subwoofer in a small room can be a nightmare.

Sorry to be so negative, but 95% of the systems I listened to using subs were a disaster.

I agree. But there are now solutions at several price points to address sub/main integration and get outstanding results. Without one of these solutions, the integration process can create "disasterous" results.

And that is true in any size room. The first 5 times I heard the no-longer-produced Pipe-dreams (1 home and 4 different CES"s) I thought they were a grossly overpriced joke of a speaker system. Then I heard them in one of our forum members homes (Marty) and it was one of the very, very best audio presentations I ever heard. He uses a TacT 2.2XP to get the kind of sound I heard versus the manufacturers supplied cross over solution. (He also dumped the manufacturers subs for Gothams).

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
I agree. But there are now solutions at several price points to address sub/main integration and get outstanding results. Without one of these solutions, the integration process can create "disasterous" results.

And that is true in any size room. The first 5 times I heard the no-longer-produced Pipe-dreams (1 home and 4 different CES"s) I thought they were a grossly overpriced joke of a speaker system. Then I heard them in one of our forum members homes (Marty) and it was one of the very, very best audio presentations I ever heard. He uses a TacT 2.2XP to get the kind of sound I heard versus the manufacturers supplied cross over solution. (He also dumped the manufacturers subs for Gothams).

Marty's room is the only room I have ever heard where I thought the external sub integration actually worked, and sounded cohesive. I believe Marty is using the Tact to do something with the timing, which is one of the critical reasons his setup sounds so integrated.

As far as speaker positioning being a matter preference, I would say yes. But the effects on the sound with speaker positioning is very real. And the speaker design itself, also plays a role in where the speaker will sound best. Personally, I have never found any of the established speaker formulas to work for me. But in general, I have found that moving the speakers out from the front wall (a lot!), increases the image depth and size. Side to side (to and away from the side walls), I have found that I can find several key spots that really warm up, or cool down the mid range.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing