Foie Gras in California

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
So Foie Gras is no longer allowed to be sold in CA. Some friends and I were discussing how the restaurants in CA (that normally serve the item) are handling the situation. Are they giving out "free" food that uses the ingredient when a full meal is ordered or are there no loopholes? Should I set up a foie gras stand @ the CA border? :)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
So Foie Gras is no longer allowed to be sold in CA. Some friends and I were discussing how the restaurants in CA (that normally serve the item) are handling the situation. Are they giving out "free" food that uses the ingredient when a full meal is ordered or are there no loopholes? Should I set up a foie gras stand @ the CA border? :)

it's one of my favorite indulgences, the new law is ridiculous to say the least. apparently some chefs are fighting it and will risk jail time:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/cal...rnia-foie-gras-ban-draws-legal-challenge.html

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So Foie Gras (which I don't care for) is outlawed in CA yet fast food is still legal... Pink Slime anyone?

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
One thought we had was that a $1k a day maximum fine shouldn't be too difficult for the highest end restaurants to absorb.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Foie Gras is no longer illegal in CA. It's been back on menus since the beginning of the year. Yeah baby!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Never had it. Never want to.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
6 years ago I was at a business meeting at Pebble Beach and took the loop drive with my wife and ended up at the Spyglass clubhouse for a late lunch. for the first time in my life I had Foie Gras. later that afternoon I got sick and then traveled back home feeling terrible. finally a few days later I felt better.

that was my only experience with Foie Gras.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I had not heard this. Why did they outlaw it originally?

I have had it many times. It is wonderful with a sweet sauce to offset the fattiness. But it is so bad for you that I only have it once in a great while in business dinners and such.

I saw an interview with Emeril Lagasse and in there he said he has it *every day*!!! :eek: He was being asked about how healthy his promotion of pork fat and such was. I suspect they banned him from California the same time they banned Foie Gras. :D

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Never had it. Never want to.

Not only have I never had it, and never will, I have never heard of it until this thread.

Guess I am from the wrong side of the tracks.

I am just not that adventuresome with food. If all there was on the planet was basic Mexican and Italian food I would be happy.

Never eat any liver of any kind.

My current boss is Chinese and has taken me to some places that scare the hell out of me. I don't eat any kind of fish at all, the smell makes me sick. He has learned to take me to "Americanized" Asian food joints.

If I walk into a restaurant and smell fish I have to leave.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
While it is made out of liver, it doesn't taste like liver at all. I guess the closest I can describe it is as butter with a ton of flavor :).

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
While it is made out of liver, it doesn't taste like liver at all. I guess the closest I can describe it is as butter with a ton of flavor :).
A pâté made from foie gras is of course made and seasoned with the FG as the base. Foie Gras neet is just the liver itself. To your butter analogy, if you take a slice of FG and brown it as some recipes suggest, be extremely careful, as it will disappear into a liquid if one is not attentive. Not exactly one's bang for the buck ;)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Talking about cooking it, it reminds of one of my favorite shows, Japanese Iron Check when the theme was Foie Gras and the Iron Check chosen against the French Chef was Chen, the Chinese iron chef! He did remarkably well against him. Here is the full episode. Skip to minute 8:00 when the thing really starts.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Interesting dishes but the OT wasn't shown :(

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Oh sorry. The overtime episode was not Foie Gras so I didn't post it. :) Here it is:
Interestingly I am not a big fan of white asparagus

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I am. Caught it in season in the Netherlands once. White gold. Yummy!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I LOVE foie gras. I get it every chance I get.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That picture looks amazingly appetizing Christian! Why is it stuff that taste so good, are so bad for you?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing