The What Tonearm Are You Using Thread

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Using one of these:

http://www.audiomods.co.uk/

a heavily modded rega on a Hanss T-20 TT. Just back into vinyl, so have nothing to compare it with quality-wise.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I am using a Breuer Dyanmics Mk II tonearm

Fill us in more on the arm since the Breuer isn't seen a whole lot in this neck of the woods! What table are u using and what made you chose the Breuer?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
None at the moment, but when I dig out my TT again it has a Magnepan Unitrac on it.

That's a classic along with the Black Widow and The Arm!!! Funny how it's come full circle and we're back to unipivot arms again.

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Fill us in more on the arm since the Breuer isn't seen a whole lot in this neck of the woods! What table are u using and what made you chose the Breuer?

I have had this "new" Breuer for over a year now, and it has always interested me based soley on its exculsivity. I took a gamble on after some discussions with a industry insider who ones one. I have had many other arms, too many to list, and even with its difficulty in cartridge matching I love its sound. Clean and fast great bass without overhang. It can extract a lot of detail, just makes some other arms sound so vailed.

The latest Breuer's have a two piece counter weight and a larger headshell to accomidate a larger selection of carts. It still needs to be terminated, comes with flying leads. I terminated mine with rca's. I had a custom back half of the couter weight made to accomidate my Miyabi 47 as the original is too heavy.

Mr.Breuer is still making arms, they are low production and there is no longer an importer here for NA.

Attachments

• breuer 029..jpg
    breuer 029..jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,801

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
Where are those arms manufactured

Switzerland.

I have Mr. Breuer's address, we occasionally communicate via post. I think he is still without an email address.

I brought his tonearm and cartridge into the USA in the mid 1970s. I have photos of him building my arm with my wife looking on in amazement. Breuer moved most of his production over to large format cameras when CD became popular and now that digital is killing film photography he's building a few of his wonderful tonearms.

Brinkman (DE) has rights to their duplicate version of the Breuer, I have not compared the two to know if the Brinkman is equal in quality but suspect it is not.

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Switzerland.

I have Mr. Breuer's address, we occasionally communicate via post. I think he is still without an email address.

I brought his tonearm and cartridge into the USA in the mid 1970s. I have photos of him building my arm with my wife looking on in amazement. Breuer moved most of his production over to large format cameras when CD became popular and now that digital is killing film photography he's building a few of his wonderful tonearms.

Brinkman (DE) has rights to their duplicate version of the Breuer, I have not compared the two to know if the Brinkman is equal in quality but suspect it is not.

Hi Albert

It would be very cool to see some of those pictures of Mr.Breuer at work.

I do know that the Breuer company and name rights were offered up for sale last year to a certain manufacturer, but the price was high. They chose to develop and build their own tonearm.

I have said this before, so you must take it with a grain of salt. I really do not plan to sell the Breuer ever. SInce my turntable can accomidate another three arms, I will perhaps add one more for another flavor when I can afford to.

JackX

Nov 22, 2010
Oslo, Norway
My first serious setup had a Dynavector DV507 arm (with a few different PU's I could swap, depending on if I played Jazz or Classical recordings) mounted on a Technics SP10mkII TT + DV/6A Silvered StepUp, fed into a Dynavecor DV3000Gold preamp

My second attempt was the SME V GOLD & Thales (http://stereophile.com/tonearms/hifiction_thales_av_tonearm/index.html), mounted on Hanss T-60 (http://www.hanssacoustics.com/products.php?cid=15)

My next assault will be with Micha Huber's new & exciting arm, Simplicity (have a look here - it's not mine! http://www.yukimu.com/products/THALES/SIMPLICITY/SIMPLICITY_2.jpg) together with the Thales I had on my previous rig. The 2 arms will be hooked up on Micha's new creation, Thales Turn Table (TTT), which will see the light of day later in 2011. (http://www.tonarm.ch/). These 2 arms will be mounted with Lyra Titan "i" and EMT JSD5 og JSD6. I have a Ypsilon double MC stepup (http://www.ypsilonelectronics.com/mc.htm) - which in turn feeds Ypsilon VPS-100 RIAA (http://www.ypsilonelectronics.com/vps100.htm)

Cheers!

JackX

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'm using 2 Durand Talea tonearms; one for stereo and one for mono. Will upgrade to the 2nd generation after the new year...

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

Happily parked here!

Scheu Tacco unipivot, burbinga arm

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Happily parked here!

Scheu Tacco unipivot, burbinga arm

If it is as half as good as it is sexy looking, it's a winner :)

What cartridge is in the arm?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
"Tacco" in Filipino means Pool Cue as opposed to the Spanish "Taco de Billar". We Filipino's are Pool/Billiards crazy and our craftsmen are known for making cues that are straight as arrows, durable, beautiful and have great feel. The sound at the break is important too!

That Scheu Tacco, looks every bit the part. Efren Reyes should have cue that looks that good!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My Eminent Technology ET 2 tonearm (with Wisa Pump), with a Koetsu Rosewood Signature on a VPI HW19 II. The table and arm has been with me for 23 years - 5 years more than my married life. LOL

Here in a short 'clip' which I also posted on my 'members' set-up' page.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Jadis-Is all that hiss actually coming from your noise floor or is it something else? Also, where is your record clamp? And one other thing while I am picking on you, that record must really be cut off center as I can sse your ET swinging back and forth. And I say this as someone who owns a TNT table with and ET-2 arm and dearly love both.

mep

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nice... true, ahem, jadis :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jadis-Is all that hiss actually coming from your noise floor or is it something else? Also, where is your record clamp? And one other thing while I am picking on you, that record must really be cut off center as I can sse your ET swinging back and forth. And I say this as someone who owns a TNT table with and ET-2 arm and dearly love both.

mep

Hi mep,

The hiss is from my basic P&S camera, not the noise floor. Oh, I forgot to put on the record clamp. Actually, I wanted to pick up the video of the sway, which happens on a few records, not on all. I think it's not because of the off centered-ness of the spindle hole as it is quite tight. I am in fact amused at the sight of it swaying but tracking it perfectly without distortion. Some Proprius records also make the arm sway, and I guess it was cut that way.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The ET-2 normally doesn't sway like that. I have never seen it that severe before. Here is a video I posted before of my table and ET-2:

What your tonearm should look like tracking a record
After watching Uncle George sitting in his chair with his dog in his lap and his eyes rolled up in his head listening to a warped record played back on that silly looking piece of jewelery that happens to be a turntable, I thought I would shoot a video of a decent LP being tracked properly. Now this is shot from a Sony Cybershot 7.2 MP camera so the audio sucks (it's digital afterall). And yes, my table is dusty but the wife can't see it anyway. The battery died shortly after I started and my hands are shakey, the table isn't. I can't find my tripod which would have been cool to use. The music is Coltrane Live at the Village Van Guard

Here is the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_K-VhQ37Ds

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing