The What Tonearm Are You Using Thread

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
For my own small part in keeping the vinyl legacy alive and well, I spin the black circle on a Michell TecnoDec and opted to install the Michell TecnoArm on the table. According to the Michell website the TecnoArm is "a fundamental mechanical rebuild of the well-known RB250 tonearm, to which is added monolithic wiring of the highest quality. The arm tube is bead-blasted and perforated, which disperses structural resonances and yields a lower effective mass."

I am very happy with this Michell rig and now I only lust after a suitable upgrade to the AT 150 MLX that is presently mounted on it. But that, as they say, is another story for another day...;)

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I use the first production Teres Illius Tonearm on my Teres Certus 450 turntable.

Rich

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
One Graham B-44 Phantom and a first run B-44 Phantom II (pre bubble level)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
SME 30/ Da Vinci Grandezza 10 inch looking pretty dusty in flash, jimmy rigged mounting.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
SME 30/ Da Vinci Grandezza 10 inch looking pretty dusty in flash, jimmy rigged mounting.

That ought to be a great souding combo. R u using the Da vinci cartridge too?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Hi, Myles,

The cartridge depicted is the Clearaudio Harmony Mg. I am currently using the Allnic Verito Z new version, which is an upgrade in sound quality overall. The picture was taken a while ago, I need to dust the turntable more often.
The SME 30/ Da Vinci arm is highly synergistic, MUCH better sounding than with the SME IV-VI that I was using previously. I am happy and have no nervosa about any kind of table or arm upgrade.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi, Myles,

The cartridge depicted is the Clearaudio Harmony Mg. I am currently using the Allnic Verito Z new version, which is an upgrade in sound quality overall. The picture was taken a while ago, I need to dust the turntable more often.
The SME 30/ Da Vinci arm is highly synergistic, MUCH better sounding than with the SME IV-VI that I was using previously. I am happy and have no nervosa about any kind of table or arm upgrade.

Don't talk to me about dust til you have three cats, one of which is a longhair :)

I'd expect that combo to be better simply cause you can adjust VTA on the Da Vinci! That is one of the shortcomings IMHO of the SME. OTOH, the SME has a very low noise floor that really can reveal low level info.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The Da Vinci does as have the VTA adjustment, but not "on the fly". The SME also has VTA adjustment, but also not "on the fly". They tend to be similar in that regard, both easy and straightforward to set up. The precision of the Da Vinci arm seems to exude from it an an aura and the arm is really pretty (I think).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The Da Vinci does as have the VTA adjustment, but not "on the fly". The SME also has VTA adjustment, but also not "on the fly". They tend to be similar in that regard, both easy and straightforward to set up. The precision of the Da Vinci arm seems to exude from it an an aura and the arm is really pretty (I think).

Yes, I don't know what I was thinking! I meant azimuth.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The Da Vinci has a double gimballed bearing, no specific azimuth adjustment. SME does have versions of the arms that allow a "headshell twist", which I don't think qualifies as azimuth adjustment, per se, maybe it is more along the lines of "audiophile OC disorder adjustment".

I have a contrarian view of azimuth adjustment that succeeds in enraging almost everybody, so I haven't entered the fray here yet.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Eminent Technology ET-2/WISA Pump/Airtech Surge Tank

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I use a Koetsu tonearm for all my Koetsu cartridges and a Dynavector DV 507 Mk 2 for all other cartridges.

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
I am using the parallel tracking arm that came with this: LT-5V..jpg
modified with titanium parts from this:http://audio-database.com/MITSUBISHI-DIATONE/player/lt-1-e.html
and a modified magnesium headshell from a Sony Wega series.
Tonearm cable is VDHul MCS-300 solid silver (a pain in the b** to pass it through as it is very stiff) and i have done modifications on the transporting mechanism
using double rollers (from a second donor tonearm) and strengthening to the supporting bars making them more inert.Works like a dream...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've never seen that turntable before. What is it?

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
It's the Mitsubishi/Diatone LT-5V, a vertical standing,parallel tracking (optosensing),belt driven turntable (through a subplatter at the back)
You can see it in the vintageknob.org Of course mine... doesn't look at all like this!
I doubt that the original designer would recognize it...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing