Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Magnificent One

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by jadis View Post
    Here are the other 'bretherens'.

Halcro monos, yes. Mark Levinson top of the line DAC and Transport, I forgot the model numbers. 20 point something. Preamp is a Jadis JA-200 4 chassis line stage mono mono with their own separate power supplies. The sound was one of the best I've heard in those times, and the organ sound on Cantate Domino can 'crawl' to your feet.
    Would that be the ML 30.6 and 31.5 Reference?

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Yes, I still very fondly remember that trip to Dr Uy's home. It was unfortunate that the distributor didn't want me to totally re-setup the system. I could only tweak the speakers. I would have loved to have pushed the wings back and moved the woofer towers further forward. The room was certainly large enough and well treated.

The first pictures were the Genesis II - with the shorter midrange, and only 8 woofers. The second set of pictures are of the Genesis 1.1. Did the younger Mr Uy inherit the G1.1's?

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    Yes, I still very fondly remember that trip to Dr Uy's home. It was unfortunate that the distributor didn't want me to totally re-setup the system. I could only tweak the speakers. I would have loved to have pushed the wings back and moved the woofer towers further forward. The room was certainly large enough and well treated.

The first pictures were the Genesis II - with the shorter midrange, and only 8 woofers. The second set of pictures are of the Genesis 1.1. Did the younger Mr Uy inherit the G1.1's?
    Hi Gary...as i understand the Genesis 1.1 can be custom cut to reduce the wings depending on room size, correct?

Hey Gary.
    Would it be possible to post pic’s of some of your big installation?

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydelee21 View Post
    Hi Gary...as i understand the Genesis 1.1 can be custom cut to reduce the wings depending on room size, correct?
    More specifically, Gary...do you actually custom-cut each 1.1 depending on the owner's setup? Or can you if the setup is too far off from optimal for the 1.1 as originally designed? I think that was my understanding from the photos i saw of a setup you said you did. They were grey/graphite color as i recall.

Would that be the ML 30.6 and 31.5 Reference?
    I am not so sure but those may be the models. What I remember is the set were top of the line in that era.
    Last edited by jadis; 07-08-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    Phil

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    No. If you reduce the size of the wings, the dipole cancellation frequency (where the rear wave wraps around and cancels in the bass) will go up. The crossover is tuned to the width of the wings. You just can't cut down the size of the wings without adjusting the crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post

Thanks for the clarification, Gary. Yes, the owner then had his positioning set and eventually he had custom made some steel pipes to act as a buffer between the top of his Genesis 1.1 and his ceiling for fear that the wing towers might fall down. But then again, he would like to experiment with lots of cables and power cords.

It would be easy to conclude the the son inherit the system but last time I talked to him, he said he's still listening to his old system anchored on the B&W 800 Matrix/Krell. His father's system is still intact in the same old room.
    Phil

More specifically, Gary...do you actually custom-cut each 1.1 depending on the owner's setup? Or can you if the setup is too far off from optimal for the 1.1 as originally designed? I think that was my understanding from the photos i saw of a setup you said you did. They were grey/graphite color as i recall.
    Recently, a customer called up and said that he had Genesis speakers for the past 18 years and is now ready to upgrade. He wanted the G1.2. As my usual custom, I asked him to send me plans of the room that he wanted to put the speakers in.

5.6m wide. No banana, so I suggested to him that he buy the G2.2 instead. No, he wanted the top of the range. It was the last speaker he will buy for the rest of his life (he's barely 60).

Anyway, he next sent me drawings of the whole house, and I suggested that he extend the size of the room by 2m taking away part of the balcony. His wife refused. We went back and forth for a while, and he finally asked me what it would cost him for me to custom design a pair of speakers to fit the room. I named a number. The next morning, it appeared in my bank account. He's so happy with them that he said that I could now sell this to other customers as he thinks that they are more reasonable sized and would work in a reasonably sized room.

Quote Originally Posted by jadis View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, Gary. Yes, the owner then had his positioning set and eventually he had custom made some steel pipes to act as a buffer between the top of his Genesis 1.1 and his ceiling for fear that the wing towers might fall down. But then again, he would like to experiment with lots of cables and power cords.
    Yes, I remember the steel pipes and all the bracing. Dr Uy was worried that an earthquake in Manila might knock the speakers down!

Were you there when we played Earth Drums from Paramita? I thought that the doors would burst out from the room.

It would be easy to conclude the the son inherit the system but last time I talked to him, he said he's still listening to his old system anchored on the B&W 800 Matrix/Krell. His father's system is still intact in the same old room.
    That system was pretty good. I remembered that it had awesome imaging - when we played that imaging track from one of the old test CD's you could swear that you can measure the distances with a laser!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast