The Magnificent One

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Another - this guy barely squeaked by with a room barely large enough.

View attachment 4229

Genesis 1.2

Hi Gary,

Does having the left woofer tower in front of the wings and the right at the back of the wings pose any problems as to volume levels traveling to the listener or is there some adjustment needed?

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Gary,
Is there an optimum room size for the G1.2s? Since you have a 2.2 Jr, can you also create a G1.2 Jr?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Hi Gary,

Does having the left woofer tower in front of the wings and the right at the back of the wings pose any problems as to volume levels traveling to the listener or is there some adjustment needed?

Since the woofer towers roll off below 120Hz, and the wavelength of 120Hz is nearly 3m, such asymmetry is no issue. No phase problems, and no volume problems - especially since each woofer tower can be independently controlled. I actually like more asymmetry with the woofer towers so as to control room bass modes and nodes.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary,
Is there an optimum room size for the G1.2s? Since you have a 2.2 Jr, can you also create a G1.2 Jr?

For the G1.2, I like a minimum of 6.5m wide and 10m long. Height is no problem because of the line source. As long as the speakers can clear the ceiling. With the narrow-winged G1.2, 5m wide is enough, but you still need the length for deep bass to develop.

I don't have any plans to develop a G1.2jr. If the room is much smaller than 5m wide, then I recommend a smaller speaker.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Since the woofer towers roll off below 120Hz, and the wavelength of 120Hz is nearly 3m, such asymmetry is no issue. No phase problems, and no volume problems - especially since each woofer tower can be independently controlled. I actually like more asymmetry with the woofer towers so as to control room bass modes and nodes.

Thanks for the info, Gary. That's good to know. :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
To really get a sense of the scale of these speakers, a group of audiophiles taking a souvenir picture is essential. Except for the cabinet, every aspect of the oldest Genesis 1 can be upgraded to the latest - the tweeters, midrange, crossovers, woofers, servo-controlled amplifier. One owner is even contemplating taking out all the original hook-up wires and replacing with the latest teflon/silver/copper wires I used on the Dragon.

Group.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Stunning, Gary, stunning...congrats.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
For most owners of the large Genesis loudspeakers, it is the last pair of loudspeakers they will ever own. However, after 20 years, some of them do hanker for an upgrade - but what would be better than a Genesis? A newer generation Genesis!

This owner of an original Genesis I from 1995 upgraded the midrange/tweeter panels to a Genesis 1.1 about 8 years ago. He also added my new servo-bass cables at that time, but retained the original 12-channel servo amplifier.

This year, he upgraded to (almost) a Genesis 1.2 (sans the twelve additional rear-firing 12-inch woofers). Almost every significant part except for the midrange ribbon and the cabinet was changed. It took two audio technicians, a woodworker, plus my personal supervision, and the customer himself making useful suggestions to do a perfect job. One excellent reason for keeping the original 20-year old cabinets is that the wood is gorgeous. It is difficult these days to find veneer wide enough to have such large, beautiful "cathedrals" in the veneer pattern these days. The cabinet itself was in excellent condition, never been moved and in a climate-controlled environment.

2 pallets.jpg

The Magnificent One is a huge system - and even the upgrade is substantial. This upgrade included all new tweeters, plus a new wire harness of my silver/copper/teflon wiring; twelve new 12-inch servo-controlled woofers (again plus completely new wiring); and the new 12-channel servo-controlled amplifier from the Dragon. A total shipped weight of almost 300kg (660lbs).

The upgrade process takes a minimum of two whole days with a couple of experienced technicians. By the the end of the first day, all the old drivers have been removed (on the floor to the left) and most of the 56 new tweeters already installed soldered to the new wire harness.

Installing tweeters.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
With a whole bundle of 12awg silver/copper wires, the soldering iron the techs brought with them the first day couldn't even hope to properly solder the tweeter harness to the Cardas rhodium/gold binding posts. So, it was the second day before we could continue. A big, fat soldering iron was found, and we put the midrange/tweeter panel back together.

We spent the rest of the morning also installing the 6 rear tweeters on the brackets.

Soldering connections.jpg

One big job that I didn't take any pictures of was making the holes of the woofer towers larger to accommodate the new woofers. This took several trips to Home Depot for routers, bits and an industrial vacuum. We didn't anticipate having to do this as on all previous installs, the woofer hole was large enough, and the original woofers were recessed into the cabinet.

This pair was the 2nd pair of Genesis I's built by the original Genesis, and the woofers sit up on the cabinet. The woofer holes were just 3/16" too small for the new woofers. Luckily, the owner had a friend who custom-builds motorcycles. It took all night, outside in the cold so that we didn't make a mess of the room.

Drilling.jpg

Back in the room, carefully vacuuming as we drilled holes for the new woofer wiring harness.

Stuffing.jpg

Even the stuffing inside the cavities get replaced as I couldn't be sure that there was exactly the correct amount already inside each cavity. The stuffing was precisely weighed in the factory, packaged and sent for easy installation.

Almost done...... the woofers being installed.

New woofers.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
By late afternoon the second day, the system was re-built, the 12-channel Servo-Controlled bass Amplifier set-up so that I could listen to the system to make sure that it performed correctly. A couple of the owner's audiophile friends came over and we spent 4 hours spinning tunes. The local dealer who provided the manpower and service support was also there to help out with an experienced ear.

Ready for listening.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Talk about stunning! My, my! Is this a purely digital setup Gary?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gary the guy in the brown T holding the vacuum cleaner has a profile like Arnold's. :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Talk about stunning! My, my! Is this a purely digital setup Gary?

Yes - pure digital. He's got Mac/Amarra/Ayre as his main source of music. When you come over, bring CDs and SACDs.

Gary the guy in the brown T holding the vacuum cleaner has a profile like Arnold's. :)

Nope, this guy's younger, beefier, and better looking :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hahahahahahaha! I'm gonna tell on you! :D

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
OK......bringing these:

Peggy Lee - Bewitching-Lee (CD) (mastered by Steve Hoffman)
Billy Joel - The Stranger (Sony SACD) (mastered by Ted Jensen)
Keb' Mo' - Keb' Mo- (MFSL Hybrid SACD) (mastered by Rob LoVerde)
David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk (best version of ECHOES ever)

:D

3 more:
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood (MFSL Hybrid SACD)
Supertramp - Crime of the Century (A&M /Master+ Audio Series)
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (EMI/AP Hybrid SACD)

Last edited:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
MAC monoblocks...sweet! This is one of the most enjoyable threads I've read on WBF...well done Gary!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Just beautiful, Gary.

That was quite a job to upgrade.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing