The Magnificent One

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Here are the other 'bretherens'. :D

Halcro monos, yes. Mark Levinson top of the line DAC and Transport, I forgot the model numbers. 20 point something. Preamp is a Jadis JA-200 4 chassis line stage mono mono with their own separate power supplies. The sound was one of the best I've heard in those times, and the organ sound on Cantate Domino can 'crawl' to your feet. :D

Would that be the ML 30.6 and 31.5 Reference?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Yes, I still very fondly remember that trip to Dr Uy's home. It was unfortunate that the distributor didn't want me to totally re-setup the system. I could only tweak the speakers. I would have loved to have pushed the wings back and moved the woofer towers further forward. The room was certainly large enough and well treated.

The first pictures were the Genesis II - with the shorter midrange, and only 8 woofers. The second set of pictures are of the Genesis 1.1. Did the younger Mr Uy inherit the G1.1's?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, I still very fondly remember that trip to Dr Uy's home. It was unfortunate that the distributor didn't want me to totally re-setup the system. I could only tweak the speakers. I would have loved to have pushed the wings back and moved the woofer towers further forward. The room was certainly large enough and well treated.

The first pictures were the Genesis II - with the shorter midrange, and only 8 woofers. The second set of pictures are of the Genesis 1.1. Did the younger Mr Uy inherit the G1.1's?

Hi Gary...as i understand the Genesis 1.1 can be custom cut to reduce the wings depending on room size, correct?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Gary...as i understand the Genesis 1.1 can be custom cut to reduce the wings depending on room size, correct?

More specifically, Gary...do you actually custom-cut each 1.1 depending on the owner's setup? Or can you if the setup is too far off from optimal for the 1.1 as originally designed? I think that was my understanding from the photos i saw of a setup you said you did. They were grey/graphite color as i recall.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Would that be the ML 30.6 and 31.5 Reference?

I am not so sure but those may be the models. What I remember is the set were top of the line in that era.

Last edited:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

No. If you reduce the size of the wings, the dipole cancellation frequency (where the rear wave wraps around and cancels in the bass) will go up. The crossover is tuned to the width of the wings. You just can't cut down the size of the wings without adjusting the crossover.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Thanks for the clarification, Gary. Yes, the owner then had his positioning set and eventually he had custom made some steel pipes to act as a buffer between the top of his Genesis 1.1 and his ceiling for fear that the wing towers might fall down. But then again, he would like to experiment with lots of cables and power cords.

It would be easy to conclude the the son inherit the system but last time I talked to him, he said he's still listening to his old system anchored on the B&W 800 Matrix/Krell. His father's system is still intact in the same old room.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
More specifically, Gary...do you actually custom-cut each 1.1 depending on the owner's setup? Or can you if the setup is too far off from optimal for the 1.1 as originally designed? I think that was my understanding from the photos i saw of a setup you said you did. They were grey/graphite color as i recall.

Recently, a customer called up and said that he had Genesis speakers for the past 18 years and is now ready to upgrade. He wanted the G1.2. As my usual custom, I asked him to send me plans of the room that he wanted to put the speakers in.

5.6m wide. No banana, so I suggested to him that he buy the G2.2 instead. No, he wanted the top of the range. It was the last speaker he will buy for the rest of his life (he's barely 60).

Anyway, he next sent me drawings of the whole house, and I suggested that he extend the size of the room by 2m taking away part of the balcony. His wife refused. We went back and forth for a while, and he finally asked me what it would cost him for me to custom design a pair of speakers to fit the room. I named a number. The next morning, it appeared in my bank account. He's so happy with them that he said that I could now sell this to other customers as he thinks that they are more reasonable sized and would work in a reasonably sized room.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the clarification, Gary. Yes, the owner then had his positioning set and eventually he had custom made some steel pipes to act as a buffer between the top of his Genesis 1.1 and his ceiling for fear that the wing towers might fall down. But then again, he would like to experiment with lots of cables and power cords.

Yes, I remember the steel pipes and all the bracing. Dr Uy was worried that an earthquake in Manila might knock the speakers down!

Were you there when we played Earth Drums from Paramita? I thought that the doors would burst out from the room.

It would be easy to conclude the the son inherit the system but last time I talked to him, he said he's still listening to his old system anchored on the B&W 800 Matrix/Krell. His father's system is still intact in the same old room.

That system was pretty good. I remembered that it had awesome imaging - when we played that imaging track from one of the old test CD's you could swear that you can measure the distances with a laser!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes, I remember the steel pipes and all the bracing. Dr Uy was worried that an earthquake in Manila might knock the speakers down!

Were you there when we played Earth Drums from Paramita? I thought that the doors would burst out from the room.

That system was pretty good. I remembered that it had awesome imaging - when we played that imaging track from one of the old test CD's you could swear that you can measure the distances with a laser!

Paramita CD. That is their group's favorite CD, with the Earth Drum probably played on repeat mode. :D I think I was missing, thankfully. :D Though I heard the cut on the group's other friends' systems, with the IRS II and the Wilson Alexandria I. I think my heart was about to burst in excitement and not only the doors. :D I recall as years passed, the favorite killer tract was the Jurassic Park cut from a Telarc CD, at levels that would flap your pants. :D

And yes, the son's system had that hallmark - pinpoint and layered imaging, Quite transparent too. The father and son team are one of the most ardent audiophiles I've ever met.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
. We went back and forth for a while, and he finally asked me what it would cost him for me to custom design a pair of speakers to fit the room. I named a number. The next morning, it appeared in my bank account. He's so happy with them that he said that I could now sell this to other customers as he thinks that they are more reasonable sized and would work in a reasonably sized room.[/QUOTE]

It's great to know that you do entertain custom design requests. While the G1s are certainly SOTA and probably the best speaker system out there, they are way too huge.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Recently, a customer called up and said that he had Genesis speakers for the past 18 years and is now ready to upgrade. He wanted the G1.2. As my usual custom, I asked him to send me plans of the room that he wanted to put the speakers in.

5.6m wide. No banana, so I suggested to him that he buy the G2.2 instead. No, he wanted the top of the range. It was the last speaker he will buy for the rest of his life (he's barely 60).

Anyway, he next sent me drawings of the whole house, and I suggested that he extend the size of the room by 2m taking away part of the balcony. His wife refused. We went back and forth for a while, and he finally asked me what it would cost him for me to custom design a pair of speakers to fit the room. I named a number. The next morning, it appeared in my bank account. He's so happy with them that he said that I could now sell this to other customers as he thinks that they are more reasonable sized and would work in a reasonably sized room.

amazing. thanks for that! and good to know.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The G1 is totally custom, and built to order. It takes usually 9 months from order to completion. So, along the way, we can customize just about anything. If your wife/interior designer wants to send a wood swatch, we can match it so that it will blend into your decor (no protected wood species please). A lot of the requests do not involve additional engineering or design work and can be accommodated within the price. For other requests, I may have to name a figure.....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You are most welcome! This was a much older pair - the veneer obviously came from a much older and much larger tree. It's extremely rare to be able to find "cathedrals" of this size in the rosewood.

Run by FM Acoustics if i am not mistaken? Very cool. And thanks for the further description of the G1s, Gary. Way cool!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing