Being Installed on Friday!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
That is true as long as the wire is sized appropriately for the breaker. For instance, you should never wire 14/2 with ground to a 20A breaker.

I don't believe that is true. Both outlets from the duplex are wired in parallel. If either outlet or both combined exceed a 20A draw, the breaker will trip. You can't draw 20A from each outlet. There is only 20A available for both outlets combined.

Mark

I tend to agree with you

By code here a 20 amp line must be wired with 12G and a 30 amp by code must have 10G

My 30 amp AC outlet was not duplex but rather a single outlet per receptacle and I used appropriate wiring for each.

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
We offend neglect the electricity that we feed our electronics’ with!
As a matter of a fact, that and fiddling with acoustic have to be the most overlook of the higher end installation I had a chance to listen to.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
We offend neglect the electricity that we feed our electronics’ with!
As a matter of a fact, that and fiddling with acoustic have to be the most overlook of the higher end installation I had a chance to listen to.

At the risk of drawing the ire of the acoustics devotees, much of the low end problems in audio systems stem from the electricity. And that makes perfect sense if you think about it because low frequency reproduction by an amp is really dependent among other things on the power supply (hence why monoblock amps have an advantage). So the better/cleaner the quality of the AC, the better the power supply can deliver juice to drive the speakers.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Code here is the same. Duplex outlets allow more stuff, but the total current capacity cannot be exceeded. 14 AWg for standard 15 A outlets, 12 AWG for 20 A, which also routinely come duplex, and 10 AWG for 30 A, which are usually installed as singles on the assumption anybody with a 30 A circuit is likely plugging something hefty into it. I am not sure what code says about 30 A duplex, but the only time I have seen them they were double-wired. it is not something I remember much about (too many decades since my electrician days).

When I had my media room wired, I put a trio of 20 A outlets at the front wall, plus separate 15 A circuits for other the outlets (one circuit for the rest of the wall outlets) and lights (on a third 15 A run). It is very common to gang a couple of rooms together on a single 15 A line.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Myles, power supply isolation is usually pretty good but the output stages of most power amps are not regulated so any power modulation may show up on the output if the amp is maxing out. In normal operation I don't think it's an issue (and I know you and many others disagree, that's OK). Incoming line noise and such is still buffered by any input noise suppression, the transformer, rectifiers, and filter capacitors in the power supply. When I see power supply rejection problems it is usually some "sneak" path to the earlier stages. However, anybody who has done high-power amp testing can tell you how line sag can influence the results.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, power supply isolation is usually pretty good but the output stages of most power amps are not regulated so any power modulation may show up on the output if the amp is maxing out. In normal operation I don't think it's an issue (and I know you and many others disagree, that's OK). Incoming line noise and such is still buffered by any input noise suppression, the transformer, rectifiers, and filter capacitors in the power supply. When I see power supply rejection problems it is usually some "sneak" path to the earlier stages. However, anybody who has done high-power amp testing can tell you how line sag can influence the results.

I guess the question is pretty good enough? I'd like to see some TMNR and CMNR values among other things. Power factor is another issue that tends to be overlooked.

I think it's not that much different than finding passive parts in the circuit make a difference. Even in the PS, the quality of the caps eg electrolytic, polyprope, polystyrene, teflon makes a difference.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Frankly, I am not buying that electromagnetic shielding claim by Oyaide. I use a metal plate and I can't see how CFRP can better this. If nothing else, you use metal to build a Faraday cage, not plastic.

no, you might not see it, but if you actually listen you will hear it.

a stamped metal plate will reasonate and when you try a cover plate such as the WPC-Z you will hear the difference mechanically. ignore all the electromagnetic stuff that hits your comfort zone that may or may not be correct. reasonance around electrical connections in a low noise high resolution system are always very audible. those 'good enough' cover plates 'sing' along with the music and are part of the noise floor only evidant when they get removed.

i did think as you now think until i heard what they did clearly. it's too bad everything matters....but it does.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
As you can imagine, I continue to be extremely skeptical - a 1mm-thick metal plate - screwed/mechanically grounded onto the outlet and making contact with the wall all around - will vibrate? What does that say about equipment casing, our listening seats, the floor, lighting fixtures et al. Are we to convert everything to carbon fiber? Sorry, but I smell snake oil all over this...

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I guess the question is pretty good enough? I'd like to see some TMNR and CMNR values among other things. Power factor is another issue that tends to be overlooked.

I think it's not that much different than finding passive parts in the circuit make a difference. Even in the PS, the quality of the caps eg electrolytic, polyprope, polystyrene, teflon makes a difference.

Should be for most of us, not all, natch.

I am not sure what TMNR and CMNR mean? CMRR = common-mode rejection ratio, PSRR = power supply rejection ratio, TMNR and CMNR are new to me.

I find the amount and bandwidth of charge storage in PS might matter, more so the signal coupling capacitors, but the whole issue of powre, power supplies, and passive components in various parts of the system is a sticky one and I've diverged enough.

Thanks for the reply! - Don

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Should be for most of us, not all, natch.

I am not sure what TMNR and CMNR mean? CMRR = common-mode rejection ratio, PSRR = power supply rejection ratio, TMNR and CMNR are new to me.

I find the amount and bandwidth of charge storage in PS might matter, more so the signal coupling capacitors, but the whole issue of powre, power supplies, and passive components in various parts of the system is a sticky one and I've diverged enough.

Thanks for the reply! - Don

Same thing: common and transverse mode noise rejection.

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
I have seen audiophile using BX cable normally used for 220.
They were using the black and withe insulated wire normally, and the red as a ground (green tape at each end as they now serve as ground).
The non insulated wire was used to shield and hooked only at one end(electrical panel).
According to him, the noise was much lower over a regular romex installation.
Now is this complying with every electrical code, I don't know.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
30 Amp receptacles? Wow, I thought that kind of power was reserved for the home theater people that listen to train wreck movies at 115 dB SPL.

A person could go blind reading the NEC code book and still not understand much of it.
But anyway in Article 210.21(B) Receptacles
  • 15 Amp circuit one or more 15 Amp receptacles
  • 20 Amp circuit one or more 20 Amp and/or two or more 15 Amp receptacles
  • 30 Amp circuit one or more 30 Amp receptacles
  • 40 Amp circuit one or more 40 or 50 Amp receptacles
  • 50 Amp circuit one or more 50 Amp receptacles
It's just a little bit complicated.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What's new is not true and what's true is not new :)

Andyjl65

Nov 22, 2019
the power to the martin logans is only for the subwoofer, right? the crossover to the electrostats is passive, no?
when i changed out the power cords across all my components, i took notes. The ones on the avantgarde woofers (active, obviously, and no active crossover to the mids or tweets- in fact there is no crossover whatsoever on the mid horn it connects directly to the amp), seemed to make the least difference- most profound was the line stage and the tube amps.
(I still went with the additional PCs on the phono stage and woofer amps and the only place i cheaped out was on the power supply to the turntable, where i use a relatively inexpensive Shunyata) The rest are K-S.

Did you notice any difference when using upgraded power cords on the AG subs? And if so, how would you describe it?
As the subs crossover fairly high for 'subs' , (about 140Hz), I was wondering if a good p/c would help with integration in that low-mid bass region that contributes to vocal reproduction.
Many thanks in anticipation
Andy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing