Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading the Servo-Bass Cable

Great information, Gary, thank you! !! Another question; do both woofer cable and servo signal cable need to be of the same length? If not, which one is the one that should be very long to avoid oscillation?

I also noticed that both servo signal cables in the 350se are soldered to a single terminal in the woofer (the terminals that come from the accelerometer inside the dust cap) why would that be? I was expecting one cable to be soldered to one terminal and another to the other terminal.

Thanks again, you ARE a pretty cool guy =)

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Great information, Gary, thank you! !! Another question; do both woofer cable and servo signal cable need to be of the same length? If not, which one is the one that should be very long to avoid oscillation?
    You can also add a 0.047uF film cap across the servo-feedback input - then both cables can be as short as you like. However, the older cables oscillating was also caused by the wrong design of the cables. Built as I have suggested, you should have no problems as long as they are at least 3m long.

I also noticed that both servo signal cables in the 350se are soldered to a single terminal in the woofer (the terminals that come from the accelerometer inside the dust cap) why would that be? I was expecting one cable to be soldered to one terminal and another to the other terminal.
    What?? That's wrong. In the G350SE, the 4 woofers are in two parallel pairs. Only one woofer in each pair is "active" - our terminology for accelerometer controlled. The other woofer is also active, but slaved in parallel to the feedback woofer. Inside, there should be two pairs of wires - the blue/white should be the servo-feedback and the red/black should be the woofer-signal.

Thanks again, you ARE a pretty cool guy =)
    Just glad to help. With the time and effort to source the right cables and test and build them, you might end up costing about the same even with decent quality cables - but as a DIY guy, you'll have more fun!

Hi Gary,
    i have genesis Vi speakers,
    i shorten the cable to 3 m aprox and the bass is more fast, i mean the old audioquest cable sr 1404.
    please explain clearly how to put the film cap, between + and - feedback cables? i am no a technician
    wich awg for signal cable, you mention braided and shielded but wich awg? for 2 or 3 meters? Running in paralel (braided and shielded) inside the same nylon jackets would be a bad idea? the AQ is shielded with mylar
    would a ferrite prevent oscillation?
    i think this issue is with bigger speakers than genesis v or vi, i mean more watt than the amp provided with genesis vi? perhaps? in some discs i hear some bass artifacts i suppose due to recording.
    Another thing, can i leave connected both rca and xlr in servo amp, of course one of them (the connected to home cinema off)
    And the last one, what about replacing caps?

thanks, best regards, Raśl

Art Audio Mestro monos
    AudioResearch Ls 15
    Classe cdp 102
    Harmonic cyberlight P2A
    Silver braided XLR IC
    Transparent musiclink xlr to bass
    Kimber tweaked with core cotton to speakers

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Hi Raul - to add a cap, solder it between poles 2+ and 2- inside the amplifier where the servo-bass cables connect.

However, the G-VI has a different servo amp that I haven't ever seen or taken apart, so it might not work and might react different with your speakers. I'm not sure what you can do. Best would be to have a competent local technician look at it.

Does this mean that the original servo cables can have the Neutrik connectors replaced? I sense from your comment that it is doable and a DIY project. Being a technical incompetent, can a shop that would do this be recommended? Seems tragic to set an amateur like me loose on such a nice cable.

I responded to you in the other thread. It should be an easily doable DIY project even if you are a technical incompetent. No soldering needed with the Neutriks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12