First place to upgrade

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
Can you esteemed forum gurus shed some light on this that if a person has the money what should he first upgrade which will give him the max. jump for his money?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Can you esteemed forum gurus shed some light on this that if a person has the money what should he first upgrade which will give him the max. jump for his money?

Transducers -- phono cartridges, speakers, headphones. The only catch is that the speakers and headphones must be driven with sufficient power, so sometimes an upgrade in transducers requires an upgrade in amplifiers. Or a more careful choice of transducers.

Tim

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

All depends upon your circumstances and rest of your system but I always find that that the biggest bang for the buck comes from improving your front-end. By maximizing your front end, you can make a $500 pair of speakers sound like a $5000 pair of speakers; conversely you can with a crappy front-end make $20,000 pair of speakers sound like a $500 pair of speakers. Garbage in, garbage out.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
It would really depend on the existing system, but I agree that the biggest bang comes from improving the source. Next would be the speakers. However, as Tim has noted, some transducer upgrades might require upgrades around them. Some cartridges necessitate a better tonearm, and if you upgrade from a MM to MC, you would also require a phono preamp that can take a lower-level signal.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
GIGO....source first!;)

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
Let me tell you of my set up at present it consists of playback mps3 which i think is quite good as a front, then the Dart integrated with ascendo system F speakers with audience AU24e cabling all around.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I dont know much about the speakers /amp , but it sounds like a good set up , maybe a tapemachine would be cool/different

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
We will now proceed to have 20 pages of argument over this issue. Hard to assess without knowing what the weak points are of your existing system and whether any parts of your existing system fit into your long range vision of where you want to be, system-wise, in the long run. What's in your system now, and where, ideally, would you like to be with it? And, are you willing to buy used? Because some very fine equipment can be gotten much cheaper that way.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Let me tell you of my set up at present it consists of playback mps3 which i think is quite good as a front, then the Dart integrated with ascendo system F speakers with audience AU24e cabling all around.

So, a Dartzeel integrated amp and a high quality dynamic speaker from Germany? What's the mps3?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I dont know much about the speakers /amp , but it sounds like a good set up , maybe a tapemachine would be cool/different

His setup does sound rather nice, so the question begs to be asked...Why do you want to upgrade?

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
if a person has the money what should he first upgrade which will give him the max. jump for his money?

This is easy: Find the weakest link in your system and improve that first. In this case "weak link" can be defined by knowing the frequency response, noise, and distortion of each component. As Tim explained, transducers are usually the weakest link among audio gear. But in most rooms standing waves and echoes create even worse problems. Peaks and nulls spanning 30 dB caused entirely by the room are not only common, but typical.

--Ethan

Btselect

Jul 4, 2012
This is my first post and fairly new to this forum, here goes. I would say the first thing would be to upgrade your electrical setup. Like in drag racing the type of fuel determines the level of performance. Electrical and audio in a way is like plumbing, the electricity and the audio signal is like the water, so the bigger the diameter of the pipe the greater the flow of water with less resistance and with a lower noise floor.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
We will now proceed to have 20 pages of argument over this issue.

We will, but like many conversations around here, it won't be reality-based. Assuming the system in question has no obvious mismatches or malfunctions in it, transducers are the weakest link; speakers in digital systems. The difference between one level within most speaker lines will be more dramatic than jumping from a good, pedestrian DAC to the obscenely expensive DAC of your choice. This can very easily be shown, and heard, but that doesn't keep audiophiles from rationalizing their way into purchasing toys that make very little difference and imagining they have transformed their systems. Hope springs eternal. Expectation bias runs deep. And unless your source was really messed up in the first place, "source first" has always been BS, unsurprisingly first coined by a guy with sources to sell.

Sorry to pee in the pool again. Now, enjoy the next 20 pages. :)

Tim

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
We will, but like many conversations around here, it won't be reality-based. Assuming the system in question has no obvious mismatches or malfunctions in it, transducers are the weakest link; speakers in digital systems. The difference between one level within most speaker lines will be more dramatic than jumping from a good, pedestrian DAC to the obscenely expensive DAC of your choice. This can very easily be shown, and heard, but that doesn't keep audiophiles from rationalizing their way into purchasing toys that make very little difference and imagining they have transformed their systems. Hope springs eternal. Expectation bias runs deep. And unless your source was really messed up in the first place, "source first" has always been BS, unsurprisingly first coined by a guy with sources to sell.

Sorry to pee in the pool again. Now, enjoy the next 20 pages. :)

Tim

Well Tim we're always glad to have you around here to cast the dissenting minority viewpoint.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
In the meantime, the original poster has sold all of his equipment and taken up something less confrontational- like fencing, or sumo wrestling.
Looks like the dude has a nice system. I still don't understand what his source is, does anyone else?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
This is my first post and fairly new to this forum, here goes. I would say the first thing would be to upgrade your electrical setup. Like in drag racing the type of fuel determines the level of performance. Electrical and audio in a way is like plumbing, the electricity and the audio signal is like the water, so the bigger the diameter of the pipe the greater the flow of water with less resistance and with a lower noise floor.
And by the way, as a relative newcomer myself, welcome. (and I would tend to agree, power, room and related are often put last, when they should be first).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
In the meantime, the original poster has sold all of his equipment and taken up something less confrontational- like fencing, or sumo wrestling.
Looks like the dude has a nice system. I still don't understand what his source is, does anyone else?

Playback Designs.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
And unless your source was really messed up in the first place, "source first" has always been BS, unsurprisingly first coined by a guy with sources to sell.

Tim

It has never been BS in my book and many other people as well, but one's veiwpoint does get narrower when you run one source component and the component is digital based on a laptop. The guy that coined the saying also sold speakers in addition to sources, but I'm sure you knew that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing