Upgrading Genesis II's

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
Hi Gary,

I found the mid band selector switch bad on the PCB board that I am working on. It works intermittently and was part of the problem. This is the 3 position selector switch as shown on the left of the picture. If wiggled, the mid panel drops out completely. It is thru hole / edge mounted. Do you have replacements??

I soldered 2 x 300uf 5% NP capacitors in parallel for 600uf as you suggested.

Paul MCGowan sent a reply to me regarding the feedback settings, so I will mark where I am at and test accordingly.

Please let me know about the selector switch.

Thanks,

Mark

Attachments

• crossover.jpeg
    crossover.jpeg
    558.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Pot1.jpeg
    Pot1.jpeg
    424.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Pot2.jpeg
    Pot2.jpeg
    658.4 KB · Views: 77

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
All the Rel-caps are available for about $190.00 per side. The Vishay VHP3 half ohm current sensing resistor can be had for $79.00 ea. Wafer switch for $10.00 and the NP 300uf 100v 5% x 2 caps (600uf total) for $5.00 ea. That covers all parts on the crossover other than the potentiometer for the Genesis 2 speakers.

http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/NonPolarElectrolytic6DF?range=51,52,52
http://www.vishaypg.com/docs/63005/vhp3vhp4.pdf
http://www.reliablecapacitors.com/
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?mpart=212P0112N332RA&v=119

I'll post the results of the servo amp adjustment when done.

Mak

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Good morning Gary
Is there a servo I can use to update mine ? The amps have been rebuilt and tested they work fine now. it’s the old servo I would love to replace some how. as for the cones I’ll bet they are no where near as stiff as what you use today.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Mak, Cool! Next time anyone with a Genesis II has a problem with their crossover, I'll shoot them over to this.

Al, the Infinity used a different servo design. Hence, I have no idea if any current servo technology will work. To use the current Genesis servo and woofers, you would have to do some extensive woodworking!!

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Mak, Cool! Next time anyone with a Genesis II has a problem with their crossover, I'll shoot them over to this.

Al, the Infinity used a different servo design. Hence, I have no idea if any current servo technology will work. To use the current Genesis servo and woofers, you would have to do some extensive woodworking!!
So I got that answer lol.

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
Have you tried to contact Magic Marksey. Aka Michael Allen Marks for the servo amp. Though it sounds like you already have one.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Oh yes good guy me infinity lol. new magnets he is the man he is now making new tweeter diaphragms last I heard
Mids soon too. Great guy. He got me the number of the man who designed and made the amps. Great stories about Arnie and I acually know how many amps in pairs he made lol. the new 2000 watt IRS v amps. He made 100 pairs and was paid n delivered. The amps before were 1500 watts at 2 ohms if I recall. Arnie was getting asked to update many of the its 1/2/3. Never made a 4 bad luck number lol. Arnie wanted more power fir his new woofers now at 1/2 ohm
He told Arnie if I double the transformers and add more caps 2000 watts could be fine on same chassis. So it was fine. New magnets on drivers a new woofer tower amp n newer servo and cross over fir them. Mine were updated late just before the end of its v. Real IRS V have a brass plaque on the base with a number. No one who updated got this. So while many rumors say how many. One thing for sure is it was only 100 amps ever made including updated ones. so a good guess is about 70 or so. As 30 amps were delivered right before the line was stopped. He was paid as it was better for Arnie to trash them financially. Mark gave me some of this but the amp guy sealed the deal

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
I cannot follow what your angle is with the reply. Have you considered trying the bass column interconnects as used on the genesis 2 to help coherency.

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
Gary,

I want to thank you for the schematics for the Bass servo interconnect. It sure does make a big difference in cohesion, clarity, and timing. Here is what I used.

1: Mogami 9ft x 2 / W2791 24ga. shielded cable
2: Neutrik NC3MXX x 2
3: Vishay 71-PTF561k.02%T10 x 2 1K resisitor
4: Vishay 71-PTF6530K000AYEK .05% 30K resistor
5: Blue Jeans cable gold plated spades x 4

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: garylkoh

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
I use to own the Genesis 200's and also the II's, about 15 years ago.
They were great speakers!

Attachments

• my_system copy.jpg
    my_system copy.jpg
    468.1 KB · Views: 57
  • AVSystem1996.jpg
    AVSystem1996.jpg
    788 KB · Views: 53

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
Yes,
Genesis makes a very good system. I see that you have the later 200 series and the 2.5. Mine are the 4 column wing Genesis 2's. Quite a bit different to the later 200's and 2.5's

My next upgrade will be all the capacitors in the servo amp.

Mark.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary,

I want to thank you for the schematics for the Bass servo interconnect. It sure does make a big difference in cohesion, clarity, and timing. Here is what I used.

1: Mogami 9ft x 2 / W2791 24ga. shielded cable
2: Neutrik NC3MXX x 2
3: Vishay 71-PTF561k.02%T10 x 2 1K resisitor
4: Vishay 71-PTF6530K000AYEK .05% 30K resistor
5: Blue Jeans cable gold plated spades x 4

Thanks,

Mark

Glad that worked for you. Loudspeaker coherence is extremely important and our job is to design a loudspeaker with a crossover (and active bass servo-amplification) that sounds like a single driver without a crossover.

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
Gary,

Do you still have the tweeters available for the Genesis 2? Please let me know.

Hope all is well with everyone. The Genesis forum has been pretty quiet lately.

MAK

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes - tweeters are still available for the G-II. I am mostly over on Facebook these days but I still monitor posts to this forum.

To order, send us an email on our customer service page on our website.
https://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/support/

Reactions: Alrainbow

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
One more question and I will hop over to facebook. What is the correct way to disassemble the tweeter from the panel. I have 3 outer screws and 4 inner screws on the front. I assume that it is removed from the back side to access the soldered wires. Not sure to remove the 4 and have the magnet distort and rip the diaphragm.

Thanks,

Mark

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Do NOT remove the 4 screws. They secure the faceplate, diaphragm and the magnet structure.

You need to loosen the zip ties holding the wires in the back, and give the wires some slack. undo the 3 outer screws, pull the tweeter out and de-solder.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hi everyone. There’s a pair of genesis ll for sale in Australia Melbourne where I live and I’m thinking seriously of buying them.the guy has offered them to me for 20 thousand aud. Is this a super good deal ? And how much better would the new current genesis model be. I am thinking that the new genesis speakers would only be maybe 10 percent better and that the lls are still very good speakers.any info would be appreciated.thanks cheers gary

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing