Upgrading Genesis II's

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I've been trying to get a video shoot with a pair near me. I'll work on it this year. I love that room in Gary's pic, and I love the purpose of the system... to make music. That to me, is the reason for the high-end.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I've been trying to get a video shoot with a pair near me. I'll work on it this year. I love that room in Gary's pic, and I love the purpose of the system... to make music. That to me, is the reason for the high-end.

Absolutely! If I had to live with a Bose system and all the music in the world available to me, or a system with the Air Force One, the Genesis Dragons and choice of electronics, but I'm only allowed to have 12 albums..... I'll pick the music any time, any day.

Reactions: jorgep and MRJAZZ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great read Gary...thanks! Love the pictures as well...great room, great system, and quite a collection (20,000 albums!)

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Whenever I speak to an owner of a speaker of this vintage, one of the first things I would ask them to do is to go to a good local electronics tech and have all the power supply electrolytic caps replaced. It's good insurance especially since the old Genesis Technologies servo-bass amplifiers run HOT!

Would you make the same recommendation for the newer servo-amp (the taller one with the rounded front)? Doesn't seem to run all that hot, and i have only had it shut down due to excess heat once. Does seem that if one is going to have issues with the older sepakers, that the amp is the most likely suspect.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Would you make the same recommendation for the newer servo-amp (the taller one with the rounded front)? Doesn't seem to run all that hot, and i have only had it shut down due to excess heat once. Does seem that if one is going to have issues with the older sepakers, that the amp is the most likely suspect.

The taller one with the rounded front is much less of a problem. Also because they use higher temperature rated capacitors. Nevertheless, you are right that with the older speakers, the servo-amp is the most likely suspect if there are bass issues. Second would be the old 30ft servo-bass cables.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
The taller one with the rounded front is much less of a problem. Also because they use higher temperature rated capacitors. Nevertheless, you are right that with the older speakers, the servo-amp is the most likely suspect if there are bass issues. Second would be the old 30ft servo-bass cables.

OK, thanks for the reply. I bought my speakers during the transition from 200 to 201 - they have the BG midrange/crossover, the tall/round front amp but the older brown woofers, and had the 30ft audioquest cables (which I switched out for your updated, shorter ones). Should woofer problems arise at some point, can they be swapped out for the newer aluminum ones individually (both accelerometer version and regular), or would they all need to be replaced at the same time.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK, thanks for the reply. I bought my speakers during the transition from 200 to 201 - they have the BG midrange/crossover, the tall/round front amp but the older brown woofers, and had the 30ft audioquest cables (which I switched out for your updated, shorter ones). Should woofer problems arise at some point, can they be swapped out for the newer aluminum ones individually (both accelerometer version and regular), or would they all need to be replaced at the same time.

I wouldn't change them out individually - especially if it's the accelerometer one. If that one is changed, they all would need to be changed.

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
Gary,

Would there be any benefit to purchasing the BG 48" midrange and changing it out from the original Carver unit. Also, where to get schematics or a crossover board if needed for the modification. There are no issues that I am aware of with my current drivers.

MAK

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
If there are no issues with your current driver, stick with it.

The 48" midrange we use is different from the standard B&G. They use that driver as a mid/tweeter. We use a modified version as a midrange only. We don't publish crossover schematics as we've spent a lot of time and resources to develop it and we can't just give it away.

This guy changed out his tweeters, midranges, crossovers, internal wiring, woofers, servo-bass amplifier, cables, etc. Only thing he kept was the cabinet. He didn't want us to re-finish and re-polish the veneer as he liked the lived-in aged patina on the wood.

Happy G-II Customer.jpg

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
Gary,

I only ask because there is a pair (BG) for sale in the crate for the 200 series system. Part #RD48G. Drop in replacements according to the listing. What to do for future proofing?

MAK

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Depending on age and price, it might be good to buy as spare parts. Then, when the Carver ribbons expire, you can buy the new crossover and new tweeters from us, and drop in the new ribbon. The only thing that won't be done would then be to match the midrange to the crossover.

BT Liew

Sep 15, 2019
A happy customer with a completely upgraded Genesis II - woofers, servo-bass amps, cables, internal wiring, crossover, midrange, tweeters. The speakers are so old that the veneer is bleached by direct exposure to the sun, but the cabinets are still in superb condition.

We had to make the woofer holes bigger, drill new holes for re-wiring, but the 17 year old loudspeakers are now better than new!!

View attachment 7335
How much does it cost to upgrade my Genesis 2?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Mak,

There is a range of options from changing the 48-inch midrange ribbons to my new design, all the way to completely replacing everything except the cabinets. You would get an almost new loudspeaker without the modern materials in the cabinet. It would virtually be a new set of Quartets.

The Genesis II would be at least 23 years old by now. The last pair was made in 1996. Please contact my customer service team and you can explore your options.

https://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/support/

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
Mak,

There is a range of options from changing the 48-inch midrange ribbons to my new design, all the way to completely replacing everything except the cabinets. You would get an almost new loudspeaker without the modern materials in the cabinet. It would virtually be a new set of Quartets.

The Genesis II would be at least 23 years old by now. The last pair was made in 1996. Please contact my customer service team and you can explore your options.

https://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/support/

Gary,

Can you recommend what brand, type of capacitors to replace the REL-CAPS in the crossovers with?? It seems that the top end is rolled off quite a bit at this time.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary,

Can you recommend what brand, type of capacitors to replace the REL-CAPS in the crossovers with?? It seems that the top end is rolled off quite a bit at this time.

I would not recommend replacing the Rel-Caps. If the top end is rolled off, it is more likely you need to change the tweeters and/or the tweeter pot. The film caps will not fail. It is usually the bipolar electrolytics that might need a change.

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
The 600uf 100v Culver cap is not available. So far all I have found is 2 x 300uf @100v 5% replacements. I measured the pot and it seems good. No dead spots or rough feeling while adjusting. Tweeters measured 3.8 ohms as connected.

Also, the servo amplifier has 4 pots. I take it these are for the feed back correction from the accelerometer on the drivers. What is the procedure for setting them correctly?

Thanks,

MAK

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you cannot get a single 600Uf cap, two 300uF in parallel will work well. That cap is used in the high-pass of the midrange ribbon. It fails low, so replacing the cap should give you better lower mid-bass. The tweeter coils measuring 3.8 ohms is correct.

Unfortunately, the service manual for the original servo amplifier was lost when Genesis Technologies closed down. So, I do not know what pots would be in the servo amp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing