Stein products

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Is there any bigger snake oil producer than these jokers?

Please see the PF review of magic lacquer for one of their "miracle products." To be used on PCBs, speaker cones, and of course- cds! (mods- if there is an issue with posting a link, please let me know)

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue62/stein_lacquer.htm

I was also in on the "Atomizer" demo at THE Show...I will be curious if any other WBF'ers sat in on that.

Why reviewers perpetuate these myths is beyond me-- it just promotes acceptance of this crud. I'm very tempted to write a letter to the PF editor on this crap. It makes audiophiles look like fools.

KeithR

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
$85 for a bottle of finger nail polish? Probably get the same result with regular nail polish. It is interesting that the review states that they use walnut in the mix. It looks clear to me. Maybe they just use the sap. Or you have to be a sap to believe it.:D

I remember someone else that had a tweek similar to this. I think it was TRT Wonder.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It's in cases like this whereby I'm grateful I don't have the money to be persuaded to begin with! LOL!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
$85 for a bottle of finger nail polish? Probably get the same result with regular nail polish. It is interesting that the review states that they use walnut in the mix. It looks clear to me. Maybe they just use the sap. Or you have to be a sap to believe it.:D

I remember someone else that had a tweek similar to this. I think it was TRT Wonder.

Yes: http://www.trt-wonder.com/page10.html

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Summoning Peter Belt!

I've never tried it but it seems that this Wonder TRT acts as a damping compound. Don't see anything mysterious with that. Caps can be microphonic as well as boards.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The one thing in common is that Levi reveiewed both of the products and he is ga-ga over them. If Stein's little cap-looking EMF jobbies were the real deal, wouldn't every speaker company want to license them for their designs? Oh Gary...

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
It is possible that both these tweeks have an effect. Whether it is a worth while effect or not is debateable. I just think that the marketing and the price are humorous.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I just read the review of the Stein Speaker Match. At the end the reviewer said he would be more comfortable recommending them if they cost 7x more. I'm not sure what to make of that.

About 6 or 7 years ago I tried some Diakom gadgets that looked similar. They did absolutely nothing. At least they only cost $60 or so. I am extremely skeptical of any of these sort of tweeks.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Those Walkers are quite a bit more expensive. We need a comparative review from an unbiased source. I'll volunteer :cool:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Aren't you the "senior assistant editor"? :D

My indicates ownership. It's *my* magazine for David Clark and Robinson. I would never be so presumptuous to call any mag I write for *mine*; *the* perhaps.

Also suggest retreading PFOs mission statement that explains in more detail about how the mag views their individuals contributors and community.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
"Myles' magazine" is/was in quotes to suggest that you write and work for it, as distinct from owning it. Sorry if that was misunderstood.

LCat

Aug 24, 2012
I do use Walker Links with great success

I did ottried any of Stein products other then their Harmonisers - they improve sound in the bedroom system but sound in main gets worse(used to be improvment in main system as well until I did dedicated electrical system based on Alan Maher stuff)
Do whant to try laquer as I do 6 step treatment process to my CDs and final result is night and day - so it might be a gret addition to m CD treatment chest

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
When I saw this thread I thought it was about Robert Stein. Opps.

I am not a big tweaker, though I believe in cones, stands, and Stillpoints and raising cables off the ground, basic stuff like this. Stuff I can understand, stuff that turns vibration to heat, stuff that drains vibrations. When Lloyd Walker visited two weeks ago I thought I had gone insane. He hooked up a 9 inch wire (silver, mind you) to each (-) amp output, like "My Favorite Martian" doohickies poking up from the back of the amps. I felt so stupid when I heard a difference, and it was not subtle. Now when you come into my room please nod your head to the Antenna's on the backs of my amps. BTW, $275 each!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
They will sell several .. A few will hear night a day ..soe will profess that it could well be doing something as exemplified by at least one reply in this thread so ... There are and have been weirder products .. One of them seems to work by having someone calling you through a phone line .. I believe this was also reviewed... Since they are labelled "audiophiles" they aren't inexpensive ...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
They will sell several .. A few will hear night a day ..soe will profess that it could well be doing something as exemplified by at least one reply in this thread so ... There are and have been weirder products .. One of them seems to work by having someone calling you through a phone line .. I believe this was also reviewed... Since they are labelled "audiophiles" they aren't inexpensive ...

I heard a demo at the NY Audio Show this year. I thought (as did another fellow reviewer I later found out) the sound with the Steins in was markedly worse.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oh Boy. This product will do exactly what they say it will do. It will stiffen a surface and it will also add mass. Look at your own speaker drivers and chances are your drivers are already coated with something. Anything from plastic coatings to ceramic or diamond dust. Koetsu uses a lacquer (Urushi) as does Dynavector for its top model. Question is, how much is just right? You've only got one shot at this and no way to tell how much you should use in the first place. Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing