FM Acoustics amps

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I guess it depends on which country's Mil Spec ...:)

If that poor quality of soldering is indicative of a country's best effort at mil-spec soldering, they aren't too high on the peckng order of countries with advanced electronic assembly skills.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Never had the chance to listen to any FMA products and as far as I know at least in Turkey it is not a brand that people seek after.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great Wizard! How do they sound?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I heard some FMA gear some years back at the Genesis room with Gary, it was for me the best sound of the show, efortless, dynamic, realistic and very detailed wothout any loss of musicality. I liked it to the extent of buying a Reimyo CDP777 that Gary (or the dealer) used for the demos.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I liked it to the extent of buying a Reimyo CDP777 that Gary (or the dealer) used for the demos.

The Reimyo CDP777 was an excellent CD player - I regularly hear great sound at a friend system using this player. At the time it was presented it sounded less "mechanical" than most of the competition. Unhappily JVC discontinued the mechanism and it seems that it was a fundamental part of the great sound of this player. Do you still keep it?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
The Reimyo CDP777 was an excellent CD player - I regularly hear great sound at a friend system using this player. At the time it was presented it sounded less "mechanical" than most of the competition. Unhappily JVC discontinued the mechanism and it seems that it was a fundamental part of the great sound of this player. Do you still keep it?

Nope, sold it some years ago, it needed to have the very expensive Harmonix AC cable to sound right thou - nice unit for red book.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Stunning Wizard! You've heard some of the world's greatest amps in the last few days! Congrats! I am no techie, but i know the Gryphon Colosseum well, and the Antileon as well. So i can imagine what the Mephisto should be capable of doing. I have always wondered what the 1811 was like...thanks for taking the time to post. Enjoy!!! And let us know what you end up buying!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hmm, that's a tough one. FMA? Ya think??

Hey...at USD$130K a throw...vs Mephisto at close to 1/3 the price...i thought i would ask just to make sure!

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
mephisto stereo and 1811 sounds different - while 1811 sounds neutral not cold or warm, mephisto is on the warm/rich side (with neutral cables/preamp/speakers this richness can be toned down)
both are musical, easy to like - but mephisto can't match the 1811 sound quality.
But of course the mephisto stereo price is a bargain compared to 1811 - sound quality mephisto stereo around 130 (monos 140).

Both have total control of the sound, mephisto is fast, but 1811 is even faster. Mephisto is a very powerful amp with a very big power supply - 1,5kw peak at 2 ohms and 3kw in 1 ohm - no problem to play
very loud on the kharma's.
1811 loves to play at peak levels because of the special transformer - 3,2kw in 2 and 5kw in 1 ohms.
For best sound and to play at this power levels 1811 must be connected to the mains with a 32a connector (same as boulder uses)

normal levels - power output in 8/4/2/1 ohms - both in class a - mephisto very hot, 1811 hot too, but not like mephisto.
Mephisto - at 1% distortion - 175/350/700/1400watts.
1811 - at 0,01% distortion - 500/900/1600/2500watts.
1811 - at 0,005% distortion - 400/700/1200/2000watts.

pics..................:)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Hey...at USD$130K a throw...vs Mephisto at close to 1/3 the price...i thought i would ask just to make sure!

I said that because the Wiz is an FMA cult member of the highest order. All other amps pale in comparison to the mighty FMA amps (except in looks, build quality, parts quality, chassis quality, etc.)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I said that because the Wiz is an FMA cult member of the highest order. All other amps pale in comparison to the mighty FMA amps (except in looks, build quality, parts quality, chassis quality, etc.)

To be fair, he is not alone and since i have never heard them...i tend to pay attention when several owners of older FMA equipment i have spoken to have kept their FMA equipment all these years. I admit i am no techie...i just watch the people who own this stuff to see if they revolve thru it...or keep it fully satisfied for years. Generally a good sign to me. Same with Shindo, and to a lesser extent Zanden, CJ where the owners of these brands tend to keep them or stay 'with the family'. (I know on Zanden, CJ, i have had one of each in my system for up to 12 years straight. Best, no best...you're right...always a debate...but if people are keeping them, i am always intrigued to learn more and ultimately hear it for myself when the chance arises. )

mep

Apr 20, 2010
And hear it you should. Let us know if you do and what you think.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
And hear it you should. Let us know if you do and what you think.

For sure! I have managed to hear in the last 12+/- months: Tidal Prescenio/Impact, D'Agostino stereo/monos, TAD M600 ref monos, and Gryphon Colosseum. My fav is the last one. I am always up for listening to new sota equipment when i can.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing