FM Acoustics amps

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
These amps came out about the same time as the FM 223 phono stage. Musical instruments reproduced through these amplifiers are extremely natural sounding.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Read it and now I know why their gear costs a zillion dollars. I can also understand if FM doesn't have a factory production schedule and they have no idea how many units of any type they will turn out per month/per year. I now understand why if you order their speakers you will have to wait a year to get them.

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden

Wow! Would love to read about other high end companies approach to this. I know Burmester also do some serious testing (from an article in HiFi&Musik) but FMA takes it to another level.

Then it would be interestering to hear how much of this is truly important for the result (sound quality). If this is important, the only logical would be that there must be a big difference between two samples of the samre version of random high end amplifier...have anyone tested two different samples on their own high end system?

wgerman

Jul 4, 2012
Whats the story behind the 711? On FM's site it mentions this was first a Japan only modek at first then offered to the rest of the world. Whats special about this model that it was for Japan first? It's tonal qualities?

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
The 1811 is my favorite FM Acoustic amplifier. This amplifier is in another league compared to the other FM Acoustic amplifiers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The 1811 is my favorite FM Acoustic amplifier. This amplifier is in another league compared to the other FM Acoustic amplifiers.

Hi Mullard88...can you provide some notes on how the FM1811 compares to other SOTA amps? I have heard Krell Evo Ones, Boulder 2060, Gryphon Colosseum, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo and Monos, MBL 9011 monos, Tidal Impact monos. Thanks for any guidance!!! Most curious.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi lloydelee,

I am sorry to disappoint you on your request. I have not heard many, perhaps even most of the current SOTA amps. I do not shop around different stores. You have heard more brands than I have. My apologies.

Sam

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Your coverage of FMA has exceeded my wildest expectations! Nicely done, keep it up!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
What's that gloppy looking mess on the backside of the fuse holder?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Heat-shrink tubing.

They obviously subscribe to keeping everything nicely dressed and tied down, right to the right-angle wire bends.

Yeah, but was that done by the factory or did a private party make those mods?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
So my suspicions about not being factory modified were correct. Looking at the work, I didn’t think so which is why I made the comment.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The modifications is done by an Japanese FMA dealer.

The old original FMA cable
View attachment 4617

The original cable wires were routed more neatly. However, I'm not impressed with the solder joints on the fuse holder. This is not Mil-Spec solder work done by qualified/certified electronic technicians.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing