FM Acoustics amps

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd.. But I somehow got the feeling that this ain't gonna be worth it ~ time, effort, money. FMA charges quite a hefty sum for services and the likes. By the time drill's done (even if deal genuine) price would have likely already escalated to point where its around the normal going market price for such units.

Wizard's last post is more like reality to me. Few years back, I've once offered $42.5k (shipped) for a very mint (as new) 711mk2 listed @$47.5k at Agon, and never heard back from the seller. :p

Yes, I can see that.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Have they stripped the amplifier from electronics? Or? I know nothing about amp electronics so I just compare it to how it usually looks like.

This is one of the funniest and wittiest comments I have ever seen, LOL! So the electronics are underneath the transformer, separated by a metal shield - you see the rectangular opening where the supply wires connect to the board. Obviously, the amp is upside down.

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
This is one of the funniest and wittiest comments I have ever seen, LOL! So the electronics are underneath the transformer, separated by a metal shield - you see the rectangular opening where the supply wires connect to the board. Obviously, the amp is upside down.

Well I was trolling (sorry for that). I have been fascinated about how "empty" FMAs products are...and this was kind of a reference to this:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...cs-XS-Speakers&p=172467&viewfull=1#post172467

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
OK you got me :D There are certain brands that definitely look empty; others, equally expensive but not "empty", still leave a lot to be desired in execution as well; here's a Goldmund Telos amp - UGH

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
LOL, you can keep your $100k stamped sheet metal and zip tie construction amps/pre's,ect. I applaud those who have the intestinal fortitude to pad FM's bank account. Cheers !

Christian,

It is getting a little tiresome. I am sure everyone know you think FMA is underbuilt by now, but quite a few other members find their products interesting and an interesting object of discussion. At least to me this constant need to bring in the argument of FMA products being underbuilt is becoming noise in a discussion otherwise highly interesting. I hope you can see that too.

With no hard feelings and all the best intentions at heart.
Roysen

Pani

Jun 4, 2013
Hello Everyone,
I just bought an F10 amplifier. Now I am looking for a good preamp for it. The FM preamps are out of my budget at this time so I am looking for an alternative that can do some justice to the FM. I currently have a Lamm ll2 preamp. It is okay with the F10 but I am sure it can be bettered.

My budget is around $6k (new or pre-owned equipment). Please pour in your suggestions.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Audio Show 2014 in Warsaw, Poland was one of the very, very few ocasions to see Manuel Huber in person. The guys is extremely knowledgable as far as vinyl is concerned and great fun to listen to.

For over 20 years in this hobby, I didn't have a chance to listen to FMA gear, and this year I have heard it not once, but twice ! (first time in Munich)

Bristol_2014-0052.jpg

Bristol_2014-0044.jpg

Interesting thing about those pyramid shaped FMA speakers is that they do not have passive crossovers (at least not between bass and mid section) and drop down to a scary 0.6 Ohm. As Manuel have said - we let them drop. We do not want to use any impedance compensation as that, just like the passive crossover stores energy and distorts the sound.

For more FMA images:
http://soundrebels.com/artykuly/reportaze/item/461-audio-show-2014-cz-1

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
How did they sound? Curious.
Audio Show 2014 in Warsaw, Poland was one of the very, very few ocasions to see Manuel Huber in person. The guys is extremely knowledgable as far as vinyl is concerned and great fun to listen to.

For over 20 years in this hobby, I didn't have a chance to listen to FMA gear, and this year I have heard it not once, but twice ! (first time in Munich)

View attachment 17940

View attachment 17941

Interesting thing about those pyramid shaped FMA speakers is that they do not have passive crossovers (at least not between bass and mid section) and drop down to a scary 0.6 Ohm. As Manuel have said - we let them drop. We do not want to use any impedance compensation as that, just like the passive crossover stores energy and distorts the sound.

For more FMA images:
http://soundrebels.com/artykuly/reportaze/item/461-audio-show-2014-cz-1

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
To be fair, he is not alone and since i have never heard them...i tend to pay attention when several owners of older FMA equipment i have spoken to have kept their FMA equipment all these years. I admit i am no techie...i just watch the people who own this stuff to see if they revolve thru it...or keep it fully satisfied for years. Generally a good sign to me. Same with Shindo, and to a lesser extent Zanden, CJ where the owners of these brands tend to keep them or stay 'with the family'. (I know on Zanden, CJ, i have had one of each in my system for up to 12 years straight. Best, no best...you're right...always a debate...but if people are keeping them, i am always intrigued to learn more and ultimately hear it for myself when the chance arises. )

+1
Proof is in the pudding of ownership and not online hyperbole. I have audio buddies who swear by FM....

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Still, I wonder why it (FM) doesn't have more market penetration in the US ? I have never seen a review of any of their equipment in US review mags such as stereophile and TAS. They appear to make no marketing effort in one of the biggest hi fi markets in the world...The US.

They obviously don't need our validation. The absence of advertising rarely alters my decisions. The presence of it sends me in the opposite direction honestly. Ironically, there are multiple big name US companies who have survived the downturn via overseas markets and many of them now have their primary business overseas.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Christian,

It is getting a little tiresome. I am sure everyone know you think FMA is underbuilt by now, but quite a few other members find their products interesting and an interesting object of discussion. At least to me this constant need to bring in the argument of FMA products being underbuilt is becoming noise in a discussion otherwise highly interesting. I hope you can see that too.

With no hard feelings and all the best intentions at heart.
Roysen

Roysen, any more communiques from Wizard? I waded through this entire thread hoping he would resurface.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Roysen, any more communiques from Wizard? I waded through this entire thread hoping he would resurface.

Geardaddy,

this thread (related to Wizard) is no more than 'old news' and we all moved on from that a couple years ago. Wizard came back to WBF and posted for a year or so......cannot say his current status.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I was an FM Acoustics doubter - thinking of them as expensive isht people buy so they can feel good about themselves - until I heard them with Polymer Audio speakers. I have not been much of fan of metal speakers, always thinking of metal enclosures as a trendy marketing gimmick that lets the brand stand apart from the crowd. But the Polymer Audios sounded very impressive.

Think of FM Acoustics as fast and resolving as Spectral/ Soulution gear, but musically engaging.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Geardaddy,

this thread (related to Wizard) is no more than 'old news' and we all moved on from that a couple years ago. Wizard came back to WBF and posted for a year or so......cannot say his current status.

As far as audio soap operas go, its as good as I have read in a while. I was so lost in the drama and tension of it that I forgot to look at the date.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I was an FM Acoustics doubter - thinking of them as expensive isht people buy so they can feel good about themselves - until I heard them with Polymer Audio speakers. I have not been much of fan of metal speakers, always thinking of metal enclosures as a trendy marketing gimmick that lets the brand stand apart from the crowd. But the Polymer Audios sounded very impressive.

Think of FM Acoustics as fast and resolving as Spectral/ Soulution gear, but musically engaging.

I have friends who can afford anything, and its what they own. I would consider it myself, but wifey would be filled with homicidal rage if I spent any more $ on audio. I have not heard the Polymer stuff, but they use a lot of fabrication principles that my speaker guy (Dale Pitcher, Mosciac and Intuitive Design Audio) uses, and the sound just flies out at you from stillness and silence.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Agreed.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com

1811 - it uses 12 pairs of the mil-spec super fast and very powerful FM 17420 bipolar output transistors.
1 pair of 17420 are powerful enough to drive the D'Agostino Momentum Stereo or CH A1.....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing