Metro DC

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
The Baby Grands are a beautiful speaker and wonderful sounding speaker that I have had the privilege to audition. I see that in the video that the Phono Preamp is one of the Soundsmith Strain Gauge Phono Preamps with the Soundsmith Strain Gauge Cartridge. I use the Soundsmith Strain Gauge Cartridge with the Soundsmith Strain Gauge 410 Phono Preamp in my system.

Rather than purchase the Nola Baby Grands which were really too large for my room, I have opted for some Oswald's Mill Audio speakers that I hope to have in the next several weeks. I use the Nola Viper IIA speakers as my surround Sound speakers and they sit atop my big Subwoofers. Additionally, I use a Noa LCR Reference speaker as my Center Channel speaker.

Rich

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The Baby Grands are a beautiful speaker and wonderful sounding speaker that I have had the privilege to audition. I see that in the video that the Phono Preamp is one of the Soundsmith Strain Gauge Phono Preamps with the Soundsmith Strain Gauge Cartridge. I use the Soundsmith Strain Gauge Cartridge with the Soundsmith Strain Gauge 410 Phono Preamp in my system.

Rather than purchase the Nola Baby Grands which were really too large for my room, I have opted for some Oswald's Mill Audio speakers that I hope to have in the next several weeks. I use the Nola Viper IIA speakers as my surround Sound speakers and they sit atop my big Subwoofers. Additionally, I use a Noa LCR Reference speaker as my Center Channel speaker.

Rich

Good for you. I bet it sounds great .

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Maybe those CJ Art Amps.

Not sure they have enough power. Carl does like to play his speakers LOUD. (as does Arnie Nudell; almost blew my ears out one time listening at Lyric!)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
At the show I heard The NOLA Viper with Jolida elctronics. Not only visually stunning but a very pleasing sound.

Attachments

• IMG_0802_..jpg
    IMG_0802_..jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 704
Last edited:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I am considering buying a pair of them especially after talking to Carl for a few hours. I even read the new review and found it interesting that everything must be translated in Maglish! I still prefer this type of speaker they sound more "real " to me than box speakers. I was wondering what amps you heard them with ?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Looks like Blue Circle the u tube vide. HP of tas recommends ASL Hurricanes.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
for comparison

sydsrig

Oct 7, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I heard the Nola Micro Grand Reference on a DCS SACD player and ARC mono blocks, and I must say that I was thoroughly impressed with how they sounded. Remarkably wide soundstage, great off axis response/imaging, and they really filled a reasonably sized room with music. It was like having the wall to wall (front) sound field of an MBL speaker with all of the image density and specificity that you get from more traditional speakers (dipole, dynamic or otherwise). In addition I found these speakers to by dynamic, neutral and thoroughly musical when all was said and done. These little things also reached into the mid 40hz region on bass. They do look a bit funky, especially with their dedicated stands, but they sounded great. I can only imagine what the Baby Grands must sound like...

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I received my Baby Grand's about 5 days agao and have been burning in the speakers plus some new gear for the even at my store in a few weeks. I am using right now the new ARC LS-27 preamp, DS-450 power amp and DAC-8 with a PS perfect wav transport. The cables are M.I.T Oracle Matrix for speaker and interconnect. These speakers are really incredible. They have a huge soundstage with layering that I have not experienced in my room before even with all the heavy duty speakers that have been in here before. The BG's are incredibly fast and have explosive yet very detailed and refined bass. On RR- Britton HRx the tympani shots will blow your hair back and sound more realistic than I have ever heard before. I kind of like the old scholl/old world feel of this product. In my mind the speakers are like a modern day version of the speakers I loved in the past. It looks like a speaker, which I like, not some modern art form that's impossible to deal with unless you have a museum size room or just the right decor. I have owned many large speakers from Acoustat, Quad, Dahlquist, Infinity, Magnepan, Focal, Martin Logan etc and the BG has the feel of all of these but with modern technology that advances the sound to a whole new level. I am going to try some other electronic combination's in the next few days now that they are mostly broken in and see what happens when I put the large tube mono's on them, for right now I am excited and can't wait.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I need to listen to those. Years ago when I listened to the Grand References driven by VTL (Wotans???) I was just completely floored. Congratulations!

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I think you should. I don't know where you live but this is a treuly remarkable speaker and it's ability to resolve instruments and voices in space is first rate. I know 55k is not a cheap speaker however they sound better in my space than many more expensive products I have heard here.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am in the Boston area. A trip to NYC isn't a big deal...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing