Frugal DACs...

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
How about some budget DACs that sound good? Lots of folks are getting into computer audio and many have the computer already.

Any suggestions?

Maybe the DacMagic?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have to give a strong second to Gary's E-MU 0404 recommedation. It's no longer available, but it was way ahead of it's time. There are still some current model DACs that can't do 24/192 via USB from your computer/server.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi
M2Tech Young $1400 plus S+H on Amazon
... Impressive DAC, Gary must have forgotten about it although it is not as dirt cheap as those he mentioned n his ealier post. They range from 125 for the EMU to $24.95 for the Turtle Beach Micro Advantage .. No Typo Twenty Four Dollars plus shipping and handling, call it $30 on Amazon. Wow!!

The M2Tech does many things better than the Benchmark . many things...

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Hi
M2Tech Young $1400 plus S+H on Amazon
... Impressive DAC, Gary must have forgotten about it although it is not as dirt cheap as those he mentioned n his ealier post. They range from 125 for the EMU to $24.95 for the Turtle Beach Micro Advantage .. No Typo Twenty Four Dollars plus shipping and handling, call it $30 on Amazon. Wow!!

The M2Tech does many things better than the Benchmark . many things...

I didn't forget the M2Tech Young - but at almost 10 times more expensive than the EMU, I thought to drop it in place of the Turtle Beach. I've had my Turtle Beach Micro Advantage for 6 years now - it's still going strong. I bought it because it was a very, very cheap way to interface a computer to a system when I wanted to try out computer audio. Then, it took almost 3 years before I found another USB DAC that was better (the EMU 0404 USB). The other DAC I found to be better was the April Music Stello DA100 Signature - also discontinued. Even after I found better DACs, the Micro Advantage continues to serve as a great interface to DACs that do not have a USB/Firewire input. At one show 4 years ago, I used it to interface my music server to a $20,000 DAC because it sounded better than that DAC's built-in USB interface.

Currently, the Audioquest Dragonfly does the same thing as the Micro Advantage. But the Dragonfly is 10 times more expensive - I have not tried the Dragonfly as my Micro Advantage is still working well (and continuing to sound good).

Now, my current DAC is the M2Tech Young - that's also beaten other DACs that are over 10 times more expensive. So, I'll second Frantz's suggestion of the M2Tech Young.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
All right boys and girls, I'm still looking for a DAC at a decent price that can play back DSD files via USB like the Mytek Stereo 192. I was going to buy the Mytek and I had in fact paid in full for one from Vintage King, but I finally cancelled my order after they had my money for over a month because the unit is on backorder with no delivery date available.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
For once I will drop into Audiophile lingo ....uhhhh! Naaah!!

The M2Tech with a modified power supply. I got a seriously made 18 VDC Linear Power Supply not the Wall Wart it comes with (Still good but performance is seems to take an increase with a good power supply).

What I noticed the M2Tech is more mellow than the Benchmark. it seems smoother it remains however as extended. The Benchmark seems to go low with more authority than the M2tech but the midrange of the M2Tech is better less threadbare and actually superlative in its own, fully the equal of the best out there. Those are things one will notice blind. The M2Tech is very relaxing in its presentation and the placement within the soundstage seem to be more natural and solid.
The differences are not the proverbial and overused "night and day" but they are noticeable and substantial. The M2Tech seems to be noisier than the Benchmark. As for installation the Benchmark just installs itself no fuss the M2Tech took a little nudging and encouraging.
Two good DACs and it could be a toss-up.. Preferences rather than all-out superiority the way the Berkely Alpha (these days a DAC I am taking very, very, very seriously regardless of price) appears to be superior throughout the Audio spectrum to most DACs including those who are purported to tbe the very best around ... by the way itself a DAC for the frugal audiophile.. at around $5000.
On the Berkeley since we are talking about frugality and excellence here, It requires a USB to SPDIF converter and I would go for an asynchronous one. I am not entirely convinced that there is a difference between the Berkely own Alpha USB to SPDIF converter ($1895) and a decent synchronous such as the one from M2tech the EVO ($500)or the also $500 April Music Stellio (I don't have any experience with the Stellio only heard great things about it)a

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Discussion of DAC's over $500 seems to be rather pointless and a waste of typed space. Let's get real here......this is the Frugal Audiophile!:)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I still use my Havana DAC (modified by The Upgrade Company) - knowing there are better options out there, but at no rush for upgrading yet!

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I started a thread here to allow active forum members listen to my DAC http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?7104-Anyone-interested-in-hearing-my-DAC
Frantz, a user replaced a Young DAC+Teddy Pardo power supply with it http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18691#p18691
I know it may not fit the "frugal" criteria at €500 but I guess it's all relative to what criteria you decide is frugal?

Hey John, at €500 I think your DAC is a good entry for the frugal audiophile. That pricepoint is something realisticly attainable.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Good information guys. I'm a Benchmark fan and a DAC1 can sometimes be found in the $500 range.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Audioquest Dragonfly. $250. I am now using this with either P5 headphones or Audioengine A2 speakers.

Nice price, me likey!:). However I opted for an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard instead with Burr-Brown PCM1792A DAC. This card has been a real ear-opener for me and my Shure SRH840 cans and Behringer B1030A active monitors have never sounded as good. I use Mogami 2534 interconnects.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I love the story about how Schiit audio got its name. Supposedly the founders were kidding around with slogans and one of them was "If you haven't heard our DAC, you ain't heard Schiit!"

Sorry Lee, couldn't resist that one. :D

Back to lurk mode.........

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
That's okay Jack. It was a harmless threadcrap. :)

JoeyGS

Jul 9, 2011
Laguna, Philippines
LOL.... sorry mods can't resist it

I love the story about how Schiit audio got its name. Supposedly the founders were kidding around with slogans and one of them was "If you haven't heard our DAC, you ain't heard Schiit!"

Sorry Lee, couldn't resist that one. :D

Back to lurk mode.........

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Is that true, does the MA have an analog volume control so that you can use the controls in your computer to lower the volume, and not degrade the sound as digital volume controls do?

You need to read the context of my post:

Even after I found better DACs, the Micro Advantage continues to serve as a great interface to DACs that do not have a USB/Firewire input. At one show 4 years ago, I used it to interface my music server to a $20,000 DAC because it sounded better than that DAC's built-in USB interface.

Currently, the Audioquest Dragonfly does the same thing as the Micro Advantage. But the Dragonfly is 10 times more expensive - I have not tried the Dragonfly as my Micro Advantage is still working well (and continuing to sound good).

The Dragonfly seems to be a good modern alternative to the Micro Advantage, but I have not tried it. I might if my Micro Advantage breaks down....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing