Good but cheap speaker cables.

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
I've been flamed for this before.... Anti Cables!!! I must admit that the Anti Cables were one of the most immediately noticeable improvements to my system...
I run single drivers, wired direct, no crossover... I have found them to be very revealing as far as changes to my setup/source material goes... going from Kimber 8tc to Anti Cable was like night and day! I actually couldn't bear to look at the 8tc's just sitting there doing nothing, so I gave them to a buddy of mine. No regrets.
I had to abandon the Anti Cable, as I re configured my room... I will go back to them someday.. I miss them.
Also, I recently switched to Anti-Cable IC's for my phono cables.... no complaints.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Why in the world would you be flamed for any cable? I guess I'm in the right forums :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I've been flamed for this before.... Anti Cables!!! I must admit that the Anti Cables were one of the most immediately noticeable improvements to my system...
I run single drivers, wired direct, no crossover... I have found them to be very revealing as far as changes to my setup/source material goes... going from Kimber 8tc to Anti Cable was like night and day! I actually couldn't bear to look at the 8tc's just sitting there doing nothing, so I gave them to a buddy of mine. No regrets.
I had to abandon the Anti Cable, as I re configured my room... I will go back to them someday.. I miss them.
Also, I recently switched to Anti-Cable IC's for my phono cables.... no complaints.

I have a couple of IC Anti Cables for testing purposes where I need long runs, no issues!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Hello Hxt1 from Vancouver! :b

Whenever someone get flamed, it's because he ain't in the right space or at the right time.
It is your right, it is your space, it is your time; it's your opinion. :b

Cheers,
Bob

EDIT: Or it ain't the right person. ...You know what I mean; people with one-way idea.
No one fits that description here at WBF. :b ...Versatility of mind.

Last edited:

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
In my system, I have discovered two good but cheap speaker cables. The first one is the flat ribbon type speaker cable by 47 lab. The second is the Daniel Hertz speaker cable.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Me :)

. . . . I have the same way of looking at cables as Gary (see his website)--[that's another Gary, NOT me] where the sound of a cable is not additive but subtractive. . . . .

I completly agree.

After using a number of speaker cables (but not the $40,000 ones I was more than once coerced into trying), I made my decision several years ago to go the heavyweight, anti-exotic route, and have not looked back even once.

I am using #4 AWG welding cable. 1634 strands hot / 1634 strands common, per cable. Very flexible and the most direct conduit from power amp output to speaker driver input. Nothing fancy to change or adulterate the sound.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
In my system, I have discovered two good but cheap speaker cables. The first one is the flat ribbon type speaker cable by 47 lab. The second is the Daniel Hertz speaker cable.

Daniel Hertz cable is cheap?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Surprisingly they are compared to the rest of Levinson's new line.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The wire strands are like hairs, so the cable really is flexible, not like lamp wire, but easily bends like a heavy rope, and the actual wire conductor diameter stated by Don sounds about right. If he's wrong he has real chutzpah describing it to six significant figures! (0.518922 cm) :D :D :D

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
LOL! My only chutzpah was in the conversion; the diameter in inches is from the ITT's Reference Data for Radio Engineers (5th ed., Sams, 1968).

Curious -- Have you had the heads replaced in your Dragon?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
LOL! My only chutzpah was in the conversion; the diameter in inches is from the ITT's Reference Data for Radio Engineers (5th ed., Sams, 1968).

Curious -- Have you had the heads replaced in your Dragon?

I have to say I haven't used it in years, and it was actually not used very often even when I had it hooked up. I'm sure the heads are in good shape. Is there even a way to have the heads in them changed anymore?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Dunno', why I was curious. A friend of mine bought a new set from Nach stock many years ago but I was surprised to see one still running now. I know there are firms that will rebuild heads but have been out of tape for a long time. If yours has low hours, no worries!

/diversion - Don

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Lee,

I don't remember exactly what I paid for my 9.5 feet Daniel Hertz speaker cables but in my recollection, it cost less than 1,000 U.S. dollars.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

class a

Jul 10, 2011
Tellirium Q Blue $298 & Black $498 are excellent. I have the Blacks hooked up to my Aerial 6's and have been very pleased.

hifitommy

well, once again, i don't see how some of these cables can be considered to be cheap. what i have used that is cheap is the audioquest type 4. they replaced monster 12ga twinlead. at first i thought the bass was less but after listening a while, i realized that the bass was clearer and more extended. the monster was giving me more bass overhang and was tubby.

i never hesitate to recommend type 4 as an affordable but very good speaker wire.

dingus

Mar 22, 2013
Graham, WA
well, once again, i don't see how some of these cables can be considered to be cheap....

ditto, but i would use the term 'inexpensive' as opposed to cheap. my choice in speaker cable for many years has been Canare Starquad 4s11, well under $2.00 per ft in bulk.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing