Good but cheap speaker cables.

bobpaule

Nov 18, 2013
Shopping list:

1. Belden 10AWG wire.

2. Orange speaker spades, the weld-ins.

3. High silver solder.

4. Butane torch.

5. Radio Shack soldering station with clamp and magnifier.

6. Vinyl tape.

Put some nice iTunes music on the Roku Soundbrigde in the workshop
and get to work.

Of course, only do this is you have been trained.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Big cables, silver solder, weld-on spades = lots of high heat needed. Good luck.

I assume the reference is to the little handheld torch RS and others carry (or did, have not looked recently). I have done it with a solder gun; takes a little longer. Also used a small spot-welder though had to borrow that from friend (much cleaner/faster; the breakthrough came when I borrowed not just the welder but also the friend who knew how to use it!)

I would add heat clips to the list -- Al clips that help dissipate heat during soldering. They will help protect the insulation which will otherwise cook off near the connection. Or, or perhaps "and/or", put some heat-shrink tubing over the end for a cleaner look and to protect the weld, err, solder joint.

Last edited:

bobpaule

Nov 18, 2013
Big cables, silver solder, weld-on spades = lots of high heat needed. Good luck.

I assume the reference is to the little handheld torch RS and others carry (or did, have not looked recently). I have done it with a solder gun; takes a little longer. Also used a small spot-welder though had to borrow that from friend (much cleaner/faster; the breakthrough came when I borrowed not just the welder but also the friend who new how to use it!)

I would add heat clips to the list -- Al clips that help dissipate heat during soldering. They will help protect the insulation which will otherwise cook off near the connection. Or, or perhaps "and/or", put some heat-shrink tubing over the end for a cleaner look and to protect the weld, err, solder joint.

I also started with a gun, unfortunately the mass of the connector is too much to be able to heat properly and poor "cold" welds can follow. Keep the torch too close too long and you melt off the gold or burn the copper and melt some insulation.

It is a straightforward learning process, guaranteed you will destroy 1-3 connectors so buy extra.

The Autobarn model works very well for me:

W-mart has Ronson butane look like my Euro Nivea spray deodorants a bit.

Heat shrink tubing works great, first make sure you crimp at leat 3-4" past the weld point then slide the heat shrink tubing and cover far away over the cable, that way the insulation will not melt. Then bring back the heat shink tubing, shrink it over, then slide the silicone cover for that clean look.

Last edited:

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
That is a nice looking little torch! My old 100/140 W gun worked fine on 10 AWG IIRC. For bigger stuff I had a 210/260 W gun (do not have that one anymore). I almost always lost some insulation near the connector due to heat transfer from the wires melting it off. I have very rarely used silver solder, too much hassle for questionable electrical benefit (for me, YMMV).

"W-mart has Ronson butane look like my Euro Nivea spray deodorants a bit." Probably want to be careful about sticking the torch in the bathroom medicine cabinet... :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Problem with a butane torch with large gauge wire is that butane is not hot enough to get the solder cooking fast. You might want to try a MAPP torch instead as that works faster, melts the silver solder faster so that the wire itself doesn't heat up too far up the insulation. One that we use is by Bernzomatic.

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
I am running Graham Slee Spatia Speaker Cable. Graham Slee is a UK brand, mostly known for phono amps and head amps.

A 3 m pair cost £185 direct from GS. They seem to perform well, with good transparency. Not the fastest cable around, but get out of the way well enough.

spkr-449.jpg

Other than for the Slee's, I like DH Labs Silversonic - alot of cable for not alot of money. IMHO, YMMV etc.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Stealth Pure Silver shotgun

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing