Good but cheap speaker cables.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Some here know of my love of the Black Cat line. I've posted in the past on the Black Cat Firefly cables at $160 a pair.

Today I took receipt of the Black Cat Morpheus speaker cable to go with my Morpheus interconnects. These go for $350 or so a 3 meter pair.

Very nice detail, good imaging, and wonderful bass and HF. A very open and musical set of cables.

I thought it might be good to have a thread on good cable bargains and this is my entry.

Here is the site if you want to try some affordable cables or need something cheap for a second system.

http://www.stereolab-hifi.com/?page_id=484

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I always liked the DH Labs silver sonics. Also loved the Harmonic Tech cables.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sablon Audio sells direct. I know the owner well, and he is a truly passionate, hard working audiophile. No affiliation, but he does have his customers do shoot outs and they often use Jorma Prime, Nordost Valhalla/Odin and the ilk. And his stuff runs from $750 for ICs/PCs to $2K-$3K for SCs.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Rich (naturephoto1) was kind enough to send me some VALAB/King Cable speaker cables, IC's and a PC some years back. The 8' pair of terminated speaker cables cost around $200, and when I installed them in my then HT I couldn't believe the improvement I was hearing.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had Kimber 8TC in shutgun configuration for somebyears, a little "thick" sounding but above average performance.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I always liked the DH Labs silver sonics. Also loved the Harmonic Tech cables.

I like those as well. Really impressed with the Harmonic Technology line.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I had Kimber 8TC in shutgun configuration for somebyears, a little "thick" sounding but above average performance.

I have an internal biwire pair of 8TC for my old Maggie 1.6s. But the Black Cat stuff is better. The Morpheus line smokes it for less money imho.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Methinks that when it comes to speaker wires, a good match with your loudspeaker's characteristics (tonal attributes) is KEY. :b

Many good value speaker wires out there, and they come in various flavors: KimberKable, AudioQuest, Esoteric, UltraLink, Canare, Nordost, JPS Labs, ...

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
---Methinks that when it comes to speaker wires, a good match with your loudspeaker's characteristics (tonal attributes) is KEY. :b

I agree with this but I have also found that some designs are more open than others.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
The obvious reply is, "Define cheap." I will make the assumption that Tel-Wire is cheap enough. That's what I like, anyway.

They aren't really that cheap, but you can spend a lot more, and get a lot less performance, in my opinion. They don't glitter or anything; they just sit back and let the music through.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My favorite budget cable is still the Townshend Maxwire (copper litz, air insulated in a pvc tube) ran for less than $200. I actually found it more balanced than the more expensive Isolda ribbons. Too bad they were discontinued. I hoarded a bunch for personal use before they stopped making them. These cables are NOT for sale. :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My favorite budget cable is still the Townshend Maxwire (copper litz, air insulated in a pvc tube) ran for less than $200. I actually found it more balanced than the more expensive Isolda ribbons. Too bad they were discontinued. I hoarded a bunch for personal use before they stopped making them. These cables are NOT for sale. :)

The best inexpensive cable I ever heard was the Phoenix Gold A320x. IC and speaker cables were around 10-20 dollars and made great tone arm wire. Alas no longer in production and replacement not the same. Jed Hacker tried copying it with mixed success.

Last edited:

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Curious: How many have compared e.g. 12 AWG stranded from a hardware store, and/or low-priced cable like Blue Jeans, to more expensive cables? I participated in a number of tests ages ago but have no recent experience to speak of, and the supporting documents I have for those long-ago tests is nil. I remember the conclusions but that would be just my opinion. Do any of those fit the "good but cheap" definition? I would certainly think so, but have not tried the cables listed in this thread.

I do agree with the opinion that system/cable interaction is a significant contributing factor.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Curious: How many have compared e.g. 12 AWG stranded from a hardware store, and/or low-priced cable like Blue Jeans, to more expensive cables? I participated in a number of tests ages ago but have no recent experience to speak of, and the supporting documents I have for those long-ago tests is nil. I remember the conclusions but that would be just my opinion. Do any of those fit the "good but cheap" definition? I would certainly think so, but have not tried the cables listed in this thread.

I do agree with the opinion that system/cable interaction is a significant contributing factor.

Me :)

Many different off the spool 12 gauges in fact. I found that tonal balance differed from type to type. Some had dull top ends, some had skinny bass and everything in between. Some also sounded louder than others. Funny thing is that I found the same type of differences between branded 12 gauge cables.

I have the same way of looking at cables as Gary (see his website) where the sound of a cable is not additive but subtractive. A bright cable is one that doesn't let the bass information through etcetera. The cable I mentioned isn't even 12 gauge. Eyeballing 'em peaking through the clear PVC tube my guess would be 16. I know it doesn't conduct as well as my 6 gauge reference because to get to the same SPL I have to up the volume. However I do find that unlike most other wire I've tried it is balanced from top to bottom with no nasty peaks or dips. For me the right recipe for a good cable, regardless of price.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

I have and I have never been impressed with hardware store wire or BlueJeans cable. There is value in metal quality and cable geometry,

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have the same way of looking at cables as Gary (see his website) where the sound of a cable is not additive but subtractive.

Ditto.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The obvious reply is, "Define cheap." I will make the assumption that Tel-Wire is cheap enough. That's what I like, anyway.

They aren't really that cheap, but you can spend a lot more, and get a lot less performance, in my opinion. They don't glitter or anything; they just sit back and let the music through.

-----Roughly 15-20% of your entire audio system setup. ...For some people it's less than 10%, and for others it's more than 25%.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The best inexpensive cable I ever heard was the Phoenix Gold A320x. IC and speaker cables were around 10-20 dollars and made great tone arm wire. Alas no longer in production and replacement not the same. Jed Hacker tried copying it with mixed success.

-----I got some Phoenix Gold interconnects and "Y" connectors. Extremely affordable.
And their speaker wires were in custom use for car stereo installs.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have and I have never been impressed with hardware store wire or BlueJeans cable.
There is value in metal quality and cable geometry,

Yes there is; in the copper purity, silver, and in the geometry of the cables (wires); braided, solid core, flat, round, etc.
Plus the covering (insulation); like teflon, etc.

But system matching is primordial because some components requires double, or even triple shielding (subwoofers, some power amplifiers), and others love barenaked wires!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing