Bose...Really?

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
I was on an international flight recently and they gave everyone in business class Bose "noise canceling" headphones. They were fantastic. I have never had any real headphones before. I can't imagine this is the true state of the art in headphones. However, I will probably only use them on airplanes anyway, so is there any other to consider?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am not a fan of those big headphones and the response anomalies that their noise cancelling system create. For that reason, I use in-ear headphones such as Shure. They block as much noise, weigh nothing, take no space, and don't squash my glasses. And of course, don't need power to operate.

State-of-the-art in headphones is Stax but it is not a portable headphone (needs its own amp).

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
I am not a fan of those big headphones and the response anomalies that their noise cancelling system create. For that reason, I use in-ear headphones such as Shure. They block as much noise, weigh nothing, take no space, and don't squash my glasses. And of course, don't need power to operate.

State-of-the-art in headphones is Stax but it is not a portable headphone (needs its own amp).

I too use in-ear headphones.

Mine are the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10Vi. Retail about $450.00 but you can find them at a discount. They come with several size pads in a variety of materials. My favorite are the soft silicone which block almost all the noise so you can listen at low levels.

I find if I set volume limit in a quiet room when I'm relaxed, it keeps me from being tempted to play too loud when I'm travel stressed. Important, because these are so clean you can push the volume and stress your hearing before you realize it.

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
Lots of options that will give you better sound than the Bose you used. The noise cancelling Sennheisers are very good. Stax does make a portable system. The SR-001 system.
I would check out www.head-fi.org and see what people over there are using, lots of headphone junkies there.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing