Pass Labs Xs amps ... Any owners here yet? Please check in ....

Howard

Mar 22, 2014
Bad news....one of my xs300 amp died after 6 months of operation....had to sent all 4 pieces back to pass.... very disappointing to say the least....apparently a current regulator was faulty/ out of specs and needed to be replaced.... apparently this is the second time it happened to the xs amps...my conclusion? A rushed designed and execution.too bad that a reputable company like pass would put out a flagship model that is subpar, in my experience.good riddance.
LOL - that very pair of XS 300s is sitting on a pallet in my garage waiting to be swapped in for my outgoing XS 150s. The part that failed has been upgraded in both amps and Pass has given me a new 3 year warranty on them. From my discussions with them it seems they've been using the same part for a long time without any failures before the 2 failures in XS 300s, and it was well within the design specs for use in the XS 300, but for whatever reason it seems the XS 300 needs a beefier inrush thermistor. I can't wait to get these monsters up and running in my system. Thanks to ozy for breaking them in for me! I'm a diehard Pass Labs fan and I have no reservations about them at all.

Last edited:

Howard

Mar 22, 2014
Good deal! Trade in or selling your XS 150's ?

Trade in. I'm dying to get them powered up - I'm told that they're a spectacular set of XS 300s.

Howard

Mar 22, 2014
Wow, congratulations. I've heard the XS150s with XS Pre and XS Phono many times on a very good system. They are excellent electronics. The 300s should be fantastic.

Wow!! Just wow!!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Please report back the differences between the 150's and the 300's. I don't know that anyone has every heard both in their system so as to compare them.

Howard

Mar 22, 2014
Please report back the differences between the 150's and the 300's. I don't know that anyone has every heard both in their system so as to compare them.
Are you sure you want me to do that? :)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Howard

Mar 22, 2014
Yes, I think I can handle it. ;)

Okay then. Of course, even though they're already broken in they'll need a few days to "acclimate" - I only powered them up for the first time this afternoon. I'll write up my impressions next week.

Howard

Mar 22, 2014
I wouldn't have thought so, but the XS 300s are significantly better than the XS 150s - the difference is not subtle. This is not meant as a knock to the XS 150s, which sound amazing... right up until you hear the 300s.

Harmonically, they sound very much the same. I'd say the major differences are:

Bass is much better - deeper and more powerful. It's easier to follow the bass line, and bass drums hit a lot harder.

Soundstage is immense - wall to wall, floor to ceiling, front to back - the listening room disappears and you're in the concert hall or studio.

Sounds cleaner and begs to be played at louder levels. Powerwise they feel like huge class A/B amps in that they "own" the room and the speakers. But they are clearly class A tonally and don't sound at all like class A/B amps otherwise.

There's a sense of greater "purity" in the midrange and treble, especially on sustained notes. By purity, I mean the tone is more natural and pleasant, more organic.

I also think that it's easier to follow all of the various threads within the music - not just the bass... but I've also recently started installing the Resolution Acoustics room treatments which would contribute to that as well.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Excellent, Howard. I always wondered about the differences so thanks for the report!

Now get the MPods and you'll really be happy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing