Pass Labs Xs amps ... Any owners here yet? Please check in ....

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi Ian,

That's terrific news! So glad you are happy with your Pass XS gear. There's an old saying that I'm very fond of, "When you strike oil, stop drilling." :cool:

All the best,
Ken

:)

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
.....Afrer 6 months with the xs 300 +preamp, a few observations-
They take less time now to warm up and sound their best.
Their sound has opened up vastly ,with a beautiful extension on both extreme frequencies.
Their match with the TAD ref1s is absolutely magical.

Reactions: kkfan

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Their sound has opened up vastly ,with a beautiful extension on both extreme frequencies.

I've also learned that I don't have to turn on my XS-150's an hour or so in advance. It seems to take only 5 minutes or so to sound good. This is especially good to know in summertime. :)

Yeah, I can imagine XS and TAD to be a great match...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

Great news. I love my XS Pre/XS 150 combo. Maybe one day I will hear the XS Phono. I'm more partial to tubes for that component.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Bad news....one of my xs300 amp died after 6 months of operation....had to sent all 4 pieces back to pass.... very disappointing to say the least....apparently a current regulator was faulty/ out of specs and needed to be replaced.... apparently this is the second time it happened to the xs amps...my conclusion? A rushed designed and execution.too bad that a reputable company like pass would put out a flagship model that is subpar, in my experience.good riddance.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Bad news....one of my xs300 amp died after 6 months of operation....had to sent all 4 pieces back to pass.... very disappointing to say the least....apparently a current regulator was faulty/ out of specs and needed to be replaced.... apparently this is the second time it happened to the xs amps...my conclusion? A rushed designed and execution.too bad that a reputable company like pass would put out a flagship model that is subpar, in my experience.good riddance.

ozy, sorry to read your news. If you would like to sell these amps, please PM me to discuss details.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

Same thing happened to mine when I first got them 3 or 4 years ago. Zero problems since.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Already sold my entire pass gear to the dealer(=....would not have sold it to another hobbiest only to learn of another mishap down the road..... that would bother me to no end. let the dealer make/take his mark on this.......i'll pass on pass.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

For the record, I think you've gone way too far here. Rushed design and execution? A component failure affecting their reputation as a solid company? It's obviously your call if you want to jettison a fine pair of amps for a single problem, but to call out the product line and company the way you have is, in my opinion, totally unnecessary and grossly unfair to Pass Labs.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
For the record, I think you've gone way too far here. Rushed design and execution? A component failure affecting their reputation as a solid company? It's obviously your call if you want to jettison a fine pair of amps for a single problem, but to call out the product line and company the way you have is, in my opinion, totally unnecessary and grossly unfair to Pass Labs.

I respectfully disagree with you. We all have our point of views ,and react differently to mishaaps.maybe I would agree with you if this was isolated incident of a critical part failing.it isn't.couple that with the sheer disappointment I have of the pass amps,as a whole ,needing to ship all4 pieces so that pass can "modify and redesign "their current regulators scheme ", in my book,is unacceptable.we ,end users, pay over and above for "high end " gear only to find out that we are the beta team. I've seen before and again.hence my harsh criticism of pass.
I just wonder how you'd feel if your amps fail again.....

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
No problem Oz. I know how frustrating dealing with equipment failure can be.

My only point is, after swapping amps, preamps, speakers, cables and other related facets of the audio hobby too may times to count over the past 35 years or so, I would have virtually no where left to turn if I flushed every audio company for a single failure. I've had some funky things happen and maybe I've been forced to be a little more forgiving of equipment problems than some.

Good luck with whatever direction you're headed.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I respectfully disagree with you. We all have our point of views ,and react differently to mishaaps.maybe I would agree with you if this was isolated incident of a critical part failing.it isn't.couple that with the sheer disappointment I have of the pass amps,as a whole ,needing to ship all4 pieces so that pass can "modify and redesign "their current regulators scheme ", in my book,is unacceptable.we ,end users, pay over and above for "high end " gear only to find out that we are the beta team. I've seen before and again.hence my harsh criticism of pass.
I just wonder how you'd feel if your amps fail again.....

Similar situations happened more times than people can imagine with several other brands, even those known for their reliability and quality of customer service, particularly with SOTA high power gear. Fortunately, once the problem is solved and they have the equipment back working perfectly, users soon forget about it. But today people immediately express their discomfort in audio forums, times are changing. And yes, modify and redesign "their current regulators scheme " may sound terrific for many people, but can mean just changing a few components.

IMHO people in such conditions react mostly to the effort of taking their amps from the room, packing and sending them to the factory and back. Some support from a good dealer can help - the only time I had a similar problem, surely I was not happy when it happened, but the dealer sent two people to collect and pack.

Usually manufacturers also make some small upgrades when the amps are returned for service - but they do not tell people, otherwise other users would become anxious. ;)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

+1

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
No problem Oz. I know how frustrating dealing with equipment failure can be.

My only point is, after swapping amps, preamps, speakers, cables and other related facets of the audio hobby too may times to count over the past 35 years or so, I would have virtually no where left to turn if I flushed every audio company for a single failure. I've had some funky things happen and maybe I've been forced to be a little more forgiving of equipment problems than some.

Good luck with whatever direction you're headed.

Frank ,appreciate your comments and candor. My main purpose in bringing my pass snafu to light was to alert and inform other pass owners and potential buyers to the situation.caveat emptor.
It seems that we both have run the gauntlet many a times over in trying this and that.i will only humbly submit that , in my expereince ,that pass dropped the ball.ill leave it at that . I wish you many trouble free years of enjoyment of yours.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Similar situations happened more times than people can imagine with several other brands, even those known for their reliability and quality of customer service, particularly with SOTA high power gear. Fortunately, once the problem is solved and they have the equipment back working perfectly, users soon forget about it. But today people immediately express their discomfort in audio forums, times are changing. And yes, modify and redesign "their current regulators scheme " may sound terrific for many people, but can mean just changing a few components.

IMHO people in such conditions react mostly to the effort of taking their amps from the room, packing and sending them to the factory and back. Some support from a good dealer can help - the only time I had a similar problem, surely I was not happy when it happened, but the dealer sent two people to collect and pack.

Usually manufacturers also make some small upgrades when the amps are returned for service - but they do not tell people, otherwise other users would become anxious. ;)
No argument on the role that a good dealer would have played in this or a similar situation... but in a way you reinforce my assessment that with many high companies ,we the end users act as their testing ground.
My pass situation ,coupled with others who have experienced problems wither pass gear ,are cases in point.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No argument on the role that a good dealer would have played in this or a similar situation... but in a way you reinforce my assessment that with many high companies ,we the end users act as their testing ground. (...)

This is inevitable . These SOTA products are produced in small scale and the development time is short. There is no time or resources to have a significant number of beta testers and wait for their results before introducing products. IMHO the most important point is having a manufacturer and distribution chain that assures you for a long time good support and and efficient service when its needed, and serious and humble enough to assume existing problems.

BTW, I do not have real experience with Pass electronics but I have read hundreds of technical posts by Nelson Pass in diy audio forums and we can be sure the man knows about reliability and customer service. If you look at used audio products sites you will find hundreds of products, even vintage, being sold in working condition by relatively high values, a good signal of quality. But no one can escape for the occasional problem - and I can easily understand your dissatisfaction with your amplifier.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing