Pass Labs Xs amps ... Any owners here yet? Please check in ....

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
https://passlabs.com/products/amplifiers/xs/xs-150

Xs

These are Pass Laboratories ultimate expression of Power Amplifiers the perfect blend of science and visceral emotion.The successor to our already lavishly praised and well regarded Supersymmetry patent. Every technical effort has been made to assure exceptional specifications, among these:Separate chassis for lower electromagnetic noise
Power supplies with greatly enhanced storage capacitance
Banks of redundantly parallel high speed / soft recovery rectifiers
Improved high frequency noise filters
Larger / quieter transformers
Improved passive decoupling
Lower power standby
Input impedances of 200 k-ohm balanced with negligible capacitance
These amplifiers will drive any load, while being driven from any source. If there’s a more emotionally satisfying amplifier anywhere, we’re not aware of it.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I would love a pair. There was someone from Europe who talked about having a pair on here a while back. Never got any real tangible impressions from him nor how they compare to the XA.5 series.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
If quality is in line with the price, they should be amazing. I would love to read a comparison of the Xs amps to the XA.5 series.

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Finally got to hear the mighty xs 300 driving the notoriously difficult Eggleston works Ivy. Previously, I was told that the the only amps that had the muscle to drive these behemoths were Krells former flagship, the 1kw MRA and the big Burmesters. I also heard it bi amped by the xa 200.5 for the bass and xa 100.5 on top which, while pleasant, just sounded lifeless and slow. The xs-300 brought the Ivy to life. We threw everything at it, vocals, jazz, big band, sound spectacular drum and percussion discs, all passed with flying controls. This is one powerful but sweet sounding amp. Beautiful, lush midrange and coupled with tight fisted bass. And what a beauty, devoid of the XA's razor sharp edges, just smooth clean lines. While I can't call this a bargain at 85k, given the price of some contenders from newer companies, I'd say this is a fairly priced offering in this category of super amps.

Last edited:

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
As an ARC owner, I'd love to hear how the Ref 750 or the VTL Siegfried mk 2 handle the Ivy. And I'm sure there are muscle amps out there that should fare well with these speakers. So my comments are based on a previous experience with these speakers bi amped by Pass Labs Xa series amps which, as previously stated, couldn't bring these speakers to life.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thanks dafos,

I appreciate the update. Sounds like a winner.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Finally got to hear the mighty xs 300 driving the notoriously difficult Eggleston works Ivy. Previously, I was told that the the only amps that had the muscle to drive these behemoths were Krells former flagship, the 1kw MRA and the big Burmesters. I also heard it bi amped by the xa 200.5 for the bass and xa 100.5 on top which, while pleasant, just sounded lifeless and slow. The xs-300 brought the Ivy to life. We threw everything at it, vocals, jazz, big band, sound spectacular drum and percussion discs, all passed with flying controls. This is one powerful but sweet sounding amp. Beautiful, lush midrange and coupled with tight fisted bass. And what a beauty, devoid of the XA's razor sharp edges, just smooth clean lines. While I can't call this a bargain at 85k, given the price of some contenders from newer companies, I'd say this is a fairly priced offering in this category of super amps.

Whoa...good stuff! Are you taking them home?

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Had a pair of the xs300 with the xs pre for the last 2weeks...
Simply amazing sound and control !
But it's not all muscle but plenty of finesse and savvy sound.
By comparison , I'd say they are a "bargain" .... In the sense that they offer many sonic attributes ,classy looks, for a fair price.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Had a pair of the xs300 with the xs pre for the last 2weeks...
Simply amazing sound and control !
But it's not all muscle but plenty of finesse and savvy sound.
By comparison , I'd say they are a "bargain" .... In the sense that they offer many sonic attributes ,classy looks, for a fair price.

85k is a "bargain" for amps? i'm sure they sound great, but it seems like a poor choice of words.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
85k is a "bargain" for amps? i'm sure they sound great, but it seems like a poor choice of words.
Not sure i agree- it isi "high end audio" after all... and it's all relative... i ve had several amps over the years, that cost more then the pass xs and preformed, in my experience, far less then their retail price would suggest..... hence my reason for valuing the pass xs 300 "a bargain".

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Not sure i agree- it isi "high end audio" after all... and it's all relative... i ve had several amps over the years, that cost more then the pass xs and preformed, in my experience, far less then their retail price would suggest..... hence my reason for valuing the pass xs 300 "a bargain".

I guess if you're comparing with the Soulutions, Boulders, CH Precisions (insert your favorite insanely priced high-end amp manufacturer here) then it could indeed be considered an attractive price.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
I guess if you're comparing with the Soulutions, Boulders, CH Precisions (insert your favorite insanely priced high-end amp manufacturer here) then it could indeed be considered an attractive price.
yes ,these are some of the names and other insanely- priced amps/preamps, i have had /tried that by comparison the pass xs are a"bargain".....again, it's all relative....

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
MadFloyd, It's been a while now ... isn't it time for you to upgrade? Sell me your Pass XS-pre / Pass XS-150s. :D

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
MadFloyd, It's been a while now ... isn't it time for you to upgrade? Sell me your Pass XS-pre / Pass XS-150s. :D

Sorry, buddy, I'm pretty happy with my electronics at this point. :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Sorry, I've exerted a great deal of behind the scenes pressure on our dear friend MadFloyd and gotten him to grant me first right of refusal on that gear.

"Oh, hi honey. Good Morning. Yes, you are right, dear, it was only a dream. But it was a good one while it lasted."

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Sorry, buddy, I'm pretty happy with my electronics at this point. :)

Hi Ian,

That's terrific news! So glad you are happy with your Pass XS gear. There's an old saying that I'm very fond of, "When you strike oil, stop drilling." :cool:

All the best,
Ken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing