9633491854_d2d0c2ab97_b.jpg

My Reference System -

OPPO 105 Universal Transport/Streamer with Marigo Labs RHX Feet
ESOTERIC D-02 - DA/Preamp with Marigo Labs RHX Feet
PASS Labs XA160.5 mono amps
Evolution Acoustics MM3 - Speakers
Purist Audio Design - 25th ANNIVERSARY XLR Interconnects
Purist Audio Design - 25th ANNIVERSARY Digital XLR Interconnect
Purist Audio Design - CANORUS power cords (amps)
AudioQuest - EVEREST speaker cables
Synergistic Research Tesla Copper Tungsten, Tesla Hologram D & Hologram A, T3-SE - power cords
Billy Baggs PRO Rack & Amp Stands
Synergistic Research Tesla PowerCell 10SE MkIII + (4) Galileo MPC Power Supplies
Tuning and Tweaks
GIK Acoustic Panels. Tube Traps, Marigo Labs RHX Mystery Feet.
4 Dedicated Lines with 10ga. Cryo-treated Romex, Synergistic Research Tesla-Plex Cryoed Outlets.
Pioneer ELITE Kuro PFD151 60" plasma with Premier Articulating Arm

Reactions: RickS

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I myself would need to see what I paid $ 38 K for .

I have sold semiconductors, caps, tooling and other related technologies for more than 30 years. If I used board layout and content to justify my expenditures in this hobby then I would probably still be using my Yamaha Natural Sound Receiver from 1980. After listening for only 4 days, I am absolutely thrilled with what I got for my money. In the end, to me, all that matters is what I'm hearing.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Some of us are just not much fun to go out and play with.

Sammy, everyone has an opinion and their own set of values, especially when it comes to this stuff. What fun would it be if everyone thought alike? Wouldn't be much of a forum.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
OPPO 105 Universal Transport/Streamer with Marigo Labs RHX Feet
ESOTERIC D-02 - DA/Preamp with Marigo Labs RHX Feet
PASS Labs XA160.5 mono amps
Evolution Acoustics MM3 - Speakers
Purist Audio Design - 25th ANNIVERSARY XLR Interconnects
Purist Audio Design - 25th ANNIVERSARY Digital XLR Interconnect
Purist Audio Design - CANORUS power cords (amps)
AudioQuest - EVEREST speaker cables
Synergistic Research Tesla Copper Tungsten, Tesla Hologram D & Hologram A, T3-SE - power cords
Billy Baggs PRO Rack & Amp Stands
Synergistic Research Tesla PowerCell 10SE MkIII + (4) Galileo MPC Power Supplies
Tuning and Tweaks
GIK Acoustic Panels. Tube Traps, Marigo Labs RHX Mystery Feet.
4 Dedicated Lines with 10ga. Cryo-treated Romex, Synergistic Research Tesla-Plex Cryoed Outlets.
Pioneer ELITE Kuro PFD151 60" plasma with Premier Articulating Arm

Great system, but do yourself a favor and get a good music server with USB out - if your DAC/Preamp has no (good) USB input, you would need to get a USB converter as well. Based on my experience it will beat streaming with the Oppo hands down. I have a modded Oppo with reclocking board and upgraded powersupply, and it can't hold a candle to my server, this is true both in streaming mode, and spinning discs.

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have sold semiconductors, caps, tooling and other related technologies for more than 30 years. If I used board layout and content to justify my expenditures in this hobby then I would probably still be using my Yamaha Natural Sound Receiver from 1980. After listening for only 4 days, I am absolutely thrilled with what I got for my money. In the end, to me, all that matters is what I'm hearing.

Frank, I'm sure I'm not the only one having trouble imagining how its possible that the XP-30 is already improved upon by a better sounding Pass preamp. The XP-30 took years to develop and the XS Pre took a relatively short time, (unless it was secretly in the works for quite a while). Considering the price difference, your comment about how thrilled you are after only 4 days is very revealing about the new XS . It must simply sound fantastic. A big congratulations. I'm very envious. And I'm not sensing any regret about your flirtation with the tube preamp. Perhaps you are anticipating an XS Phono.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Frank, I'm sure I'm not the only one having trouble imagining how its possible that the XP-30 is already improved upon by a better sounding Pass preamp. The XP-30 took years to develop and the XS Pre took a relatively short time, (unless it was secretly in the works for quite a while). Considering the price difference, your comment about how thrilled you are after only 4 days is very revealing about the new XS . It must simply sound fantastic. A big congratulations. I'm very envious. And I'm not sensing any regret about your flirtation with the tube preamp. Perhaps you are anticipating an XS Phono.

Peter, my Sundays for many years are usually consumed by football. I have NFL Sunday Ticket so I can watch as many games as possible. Not today! Haven't been able to tear myself away from the music. Even after a 12 hour listening session yesterday, the improvement from Saturday night to Sunday morning caught me by surprise in spite of the fact that I'm still under 100 hours of break in. Can I really expect it to get better? I had the XP30 with the Xs300s for 18 months, I never heard anything close to what I'm hearing now. And yes, I already checked, Xs Phono is due out mid 2014.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
One caveat to my post below is that I never had the Shunyata Typhons inserted with the Xs300s when I had the XP30. What they're addition did during the time I was listening to the XP20 and XA100.5s was nothing short of fantastic. Maybe some day I'll disconnect the Typhons and see what they're doing for my present set up. Just won't be any time soon.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Frank,

I am soooooo happy for you. You got me thinking again. I loved my XP-30 and can only imagine how sweet the Xs preamp sounds. Congratulations!

George,

Beautiful photos and system, as always.

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
Thanks Joe! I truly ENJOY my Pass Labs equipment.

Mikke

Nov 18, 2013
Me too...
XP 30
XP 25
XA 200.5

This represents a continuous advancement from X0.2 / Xono / XA 100.5 through XP 20 / XP 15 Xa 160.5.

Speakers are Avalon Isis which the XA 200.5 controls easily. BTW my Rogers LS3/5a / AB1 are also a perfect although maybe a little peculiar match for the amps.
Unavngivet.JPG

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
Nice arrangement of equipment you have there Mikke.

Gooch

Dec 20, 2013
Florida
Hi
I am new to this forum I am a big Pass Labs fan. I just sold my X150 and upgraded to a X150.5 that just arrived yesterday kinda a Christmas present to myself. I tell you right out of the box I noticed a difference it's been on all night now and sound wonderful my preamp is a Direct Coupled Pass B1 that I build myself.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Me too...
XP 30
XP 25
XA 200.5

This represents a continuous advancement from X0.2 / Xono / XA 100.5 through XP 20 / XP 15 Xa 160.5.

Speakers are Avalon Isis which the XA 200.5 controls easily. BTW my Rogers LS3/5a / AB1 are also a perfect although maybe a little peculiar match for the amps.
View attachment 12630

Wooow!

Evolusean

Apr 21, 2014
Atlanta
Auditioned the X-150.5 and the X-250.5
Ended up with the X-250.5
Just works better in my system ......

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing