Pass Lab owners - Check in!

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Cool. Thanks for the new forum Steve. Ok. How 'bout all the Pass Labs owners check in? I've got the Pass Labs XA-100.5s and the XP-20. I absolutely think they are great and one would have to spend considerably more to better them. I think they make my Watt Puppies sing.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Michael Fremer loved the XA-160's on his Watt/Puppies. That's one of the reasons I got mine. I have the XA .5 series as well, but using a Switchman 3 as a pre.
Would love to have the XP-30/25 though!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
INT-150 here

bblue

Apr 26, 2011
San Diego, CA
X250.5 (soon to be x350.5) and XP15 (dreaming for an XP25). Started out with Mr. Pass in 1976 with the Threshold 410a (I think that was the number).

--Bill

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
errr.... I have a Nelson Pass designed Adcom GFP-750 :)

Will that do?

Ha ha, sure. I just wanted to get a Pass Labs thread going, as there really aren't any that I could find on the web, except for a DIY site and a First Watt site. It's funny that all kinds of other manufacturers are represented on many sites, but never Pass Labs. I wonder if that is just because we're all very satisfied with Pass Labs gear?

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
X250.5 (soon to be x350.5) and XP15 (dreaming for an XP25). Started out with Mr. Pass in 1976 with the Threshold 410a (I think that was the number).

--Bill

Nice! I want an XP25, too. I just got my amp and pre, so it will be a while before I convince SWMBO. I'm not in a big rush, as the BAT phono pre is doing a good job.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Ha ha, sure. I just wanted to get a Pass Labs thread going, as there really aren't any that I could find on the web, except for a DIY site and a First Watt site. It's funny that all kinds of other manufacturers are represented on many sites, but never Pass Labs. I wonder if that is just because we're all very satisfied with Pass Labs gear?

I have the impression that the most desired component change for a Pass Labs owner is to a better Pass Labs product...

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
That's where I'm headed!! ;)

I'm in the process of making a decision between the Pass XP30, XP25 and XS300 or Burmester 808 mk5, 911 mk3 and the 100 phono.
I've had tubes all my life but I'm completely fed up with the problems I have been experiencing. Mostly with the large tube amps, which shall go nameless but have also had some problems with the preamp as well.
The only solid state piece I've actually listened to above is the XP30, which is excellent. And while I've listened extensively to the XP30 with the Pass XA100.5 and found it be a great combination, going back to my large tube amps jumped the performance to another level. That is until another tube blew and the system was shut down again. That's why I'm considering the XS300 without ever hearing it. Trying to get as close as I can to the sound I get from the tube amps.
I was hoping member "vasago", who seems to have some experience with the XS300 would give us a little more information regarding his thoughts on the XS vs XA series.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
If you get an XS Frank...give us your impressions compared to the XA series. Dual chassis monoblocks are sexy...lol
Will Reno Hi-Fi give auditions on the XS series like they do with the other series ? For me, the XS 150 will be more than adequate for my X-2's

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I'd be shocked if he had demo units at this point. Even if he did, I have a local dealer who I've done business with for years and would buy them through him.
I wouldn't want to use Reno HiFi for a demo and then give the business to someone else.
I don't know about you but I'm not crazy about the dual chassis. Way too much metal for me! Of course I'm not too crazy about the price either.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Dual chassis is somewhat of an issue space wise. At least it's the same foot print just built upwards. I have to assume there is a significant sonic advantage to a dual chassis design. There would be no reason to do it otherwise. Pass isn't a bling manufacturer...

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Spending the weekend with the XP30 and XA100.5. If all goes well, I plan on ordering the XS300, XP30 and XP25 Monday. I was told 3-4 weeks for delivery.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I HAD an X250 some years back, a great amp that drove my Avalon Eclipses fully!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing