Pass Lab owners - Check in!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The XS is also $22k more than the XP30. :)

I have thought of upgrading to the XP30, but don't care for the three boxes.

Sure, the XS is more expensive. I see that you have the XP20. So do I. I find that the XS is voiced more like the XP20 while the XP30 has a warmer/richer tonal balance. The 30 is slightly more resolving than the 20 though. IMO, the 20 is an excellent value for the price, perhaps the sweet spot in the line. YMMV, as they write.

The XP30 with your X series amp might be an excellent combination, just as the XP20 is excellent with the XA series. There are so many possible combinations with Pass amps/preamps, and they are all voiced slightly differently, that it is easy to find a combination that sounds really good.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Peter, if your XP-20 is using the stock plastic DB-25 umbilical cord then you should try the Revelation Audio silver DB-25 in my sig. It really improved the sound of the XP-20. I was amazed.

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Bud, could you tell us a bit more in detail what happened/improved when you put in the Revelation Audio umbilical?

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
I am also using a Revelation Audio Labs DB-25 umbilical on my XP-25. Way nicer sounding over the stock cable.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Opps... meant Revelation Audio Labs.. Stayed up all night listening to my system fitted with the new XS preamp.

Reactions: Protegimus

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Added a second XP-25 to my system recently. Now I finally have the same phono input for all four arms on my Raven AC. :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Added a second XP-25 to my system recently. Now I finally have the same phono input for all four arms on my Raven AC. :)

Congratulations. Have you thought about making one XP-25 for right channel only and the other for left channel only? This might reduce noise further. Then the outputs could be rearranged for the pre amp. I'm not sure about the best configuration, but I have read that some people have two Pass phonos with only one arm just for this reason.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations. Have you thought about making one XP-25 for right channel only and the other for left channel only? This might reduce noise further. Then the outputs could be rearranged for the pre amp. I'm not sure about the best configuration, but I have read that some people have two Pass phonos with only one arm just for this reason.

For this purpose you should buy the two units simultaneously, otherwise the small variations of component batches and even brand during the life of the model can unbalance the system. This is also critical for people who buy a stereo bridgeable amplifier and only get the second one many years later. Usually it is better getting an used unit of the same age of the first one.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Bud, could you tell us a bit more in detail what happened/improved when you put in the Revelation Audio umbilical?

Well, it has been a couple of years, but I remember it being as if I upgraded the preamp. It just was quieter, more detailed, and better sounding. I mentioned this on another forum, and a member gave it a try, and was hooked. He upgraded both the XP-30 and XP-25 cables.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
For this purpose you should buy the two units simultaneously, otherwise the small variations of component batches and even brand during the life of the model can unbalance the system. This is also critical for people who buy a stereo bridgeable amplifier and only get the second one many years later. Usually it is better getting an used unit of the same age of the first one.

More than that, I sent my XP-25 back to Pass after break-in (basically after two weeks), to fine-tune due to gain variability between the two channels. QC is high, but not top.

Gene 15352

Feb 18, 2013
Canada

AlexArgie

Apr 17, 2017
BsAs,Argentina
Hi Guys!

XP20 (before I had an XP10)
X350 (I love this oldie)

DAG

Jan 7, 2017
UK
Hi AlexArgie,

Nice gear, how would you compare the sound of XP10 vs XP20?
Many thanks
DAG

Mark-E

Jun 27, 2017
Washington, DC
First of many pass labs

Congrats Mark E. im sure you will enjoy. What amp have u replaced with Pass Labs ? Please post your impression.

I WENT from EMOTIVA XPR-1 MONOBLOCKS TO PASS LABS XA160s......I'm hearing things with my acoustat model 4 electrostatic speakers I've never heard before.......I've never heard Miles Davis blow so clear and beautiful I'm hearing cymbal sounds that were not there before.

Mark-E

Jun 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Thank you peter....I'm super amazed at the quality and level of the amps performance......how long ago did you have yours, and would you have any idea what the list price for these amps are should be. Just making sure i got these at a fair price. I wasn't able to find other amps for sale on the net.....thank you

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you peter....I'm super amazed at the quality and level of the amps performance......how long ago did you have yours, and would you have any idea what the list price for these amps are should be. Just making sure i got these at a fair price. I wasn't able to find other amps for sale on the net.....thank you

You are welcome, Mark. The XA160 is a pretty old design. They were about $15,000 when new. These amps don't come up much for sale. You could try contacting Mark Sammut at Reno HiFi. He is extremely helpful and knows a lot about all Pass models. He could tell you what a fair current market price is. I had mine for about two years maybe ten years ago. I replaced them with the XA100.5 and then the XA160.5 when I needed more power for my new speakers. The XA models are interesting because they combined the Class A sweet sound of the Aleph series with the low noise/control of the X series. The history is interesting and you can find reviews on line that go into it. The .5 revision added a bit more control of the low frequencies making it sound more powerful.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing