Pass Lab owners - Check in!

Evolusean

Apr 21, 2014
Atlanta
That is interesting. I have read a few times where people say a 'regular' preamp sounds better than using the digital preamp functionality of a DAC.

Some people prefer the DAC directly to the amplifier, which was what I originally had before buying the XP10.
I much prefer the DAC to the preamp in my set up

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
I prefer having my XP-20 in the chain then having the DAC acting as a pre. The DAC alone sounded cold and a little sterile. With the pre the life came back.

Evolusean

Apr 21, 2014
Atlanta
I prefer having my XP-20 in the chain then having the DAC acting as a pre. The DAC alone sounded cold and a little sterile. With the pre the life came back.

I agree

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I prefer the MSB Analog DAC with volume control direct to power amp. I find that a preamp adds color.

Sometimes I prefer that added coloration to my sound. The only time I don't feel the preamp is necessary is with my Lampizator dac. Until I try a fully balanced preamp in my system, my opinion could change.

cmalak

Jul 21, 2015
I prefer the MSB Analog DAC with volume control direct to power amp. I find that a preamp adds color.

Which preamps have you tried and not liked being in the chain as compared to the MSB Analog DAC direct into your amp? Also what's your amp and speaker if you don't mind my asking? Just curious...

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
I recently added an XP-25 to my system. What a step up from my XP-15 and a wonderful match to my XP-20...

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Two years with my XP-20 and X600.5. Can't think of any reason to change.

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Back when I visited Pass Labs (2006-2007, not sure of exact time) they were using Tannoy 15" concentric speakers with an outboard crossover for some of their electronics voicing/evaluation.

I've heard that is still the case, but I don't know.

Anyone know what loudspeakers Pass is currently using for voicing/evaluation?

Evolusean

Apr 21, 2014
Atlanta
Well, Just replaced the Xp-10 with the XP-20..
Wider stage, more depth...

Liking it..

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I had an x-350 for about 5 years. Paid $3,200 used and sold for $3,500. What a great AMP!

I just bought the Pass Labs Rushmore speakers used.

Wow, I've heard great things about those speakers. Once you've had a chance to listen for a while, please share your thoughts about their performance. Congratulations.

I sold my old Pass Aleph 5 and XA 100.5 for more than I paid for them too. Pass amps are great and can be very good values.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Hello,

I'm curious what peoples thoughts are of running a Pass Labs XA100.5 in combination with the Magico S3's? I've recently purchased the S3 (haven't arrived yet) and am thinking of going with the XA100.5 to power them. From a maths standpoint, the 100.5 seems like it should have enough juice to drive the S3 OK up to about 110db before leaving Class A but I'm not sure how things will play out in real life driving these speakers which are a somewhat difficult load.

Thanks for your thoughts

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I can't believe the Pass Labs would have problems driving that speaker. I bet it would sound great!

+1

I owned the XA-100.5 and used them to drive my Revel Salon 2's. They could drive these speakers to an incredibly high volume, while remaining in Class A. You shouldn't have any issues with the S3.

Ken

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I had the XA100.5 with my Mini IIs. They are 87dB and 4 ohm load. My room is 15 X 16 X 7.5. The needle only moved rarely meaning that it stayed in Class A for most of the time. However, I switched to the XA160.5 for a more effortless, dynamic sound. Magico speakers are deceiving about how much power they need. The S3 is 88dB and 4 ohms. I think it will depend on your room size, listening volume and music type.

I have always found that more power is better with Magico. The XA100.8 may be different as it has more current, but it also has a different sound and is considerably more expensive than a good used pair of XA100.5s. Is there any way to audition the amps before you buy?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing