Frugal, with pride

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Loudspeakers:

--- Paradigm speakers; several of their models (Atom, Mini, Titan, Monitor 7, 9, 11);
all below $1,398/pair MSRP.

And from their Reference line: Studio 20, 40, and 60, & all below $2,000/pair.

** And several of their Surround speakers, plus Center channel speakers as well.

Surround Sound/Video Processors:

=> Onkyo PR-SC5509 and its equivalent, the Integra DHC-80.3 (roughly $2,000 or less street).

...More to come.

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I will say, in my 20+ years experience, one of the best bargains in high end audio is not being afraid to get equipment (speakers for example) that are 7-10+ years old...but are still stunning by even today's standards.

Speakers: Celestion SL600si/SL700 (few hundred bucks), Apogee Stages (less $1000 bucks...just watch they're in good condition, SF Extremas (sub $3K?), Wilson X1s (sub 15K if you push for it).

Amps: CJ MV60 (sub $1K), CJ LP275 (sub $10K), Forte 4 ($200?), Krell FPB-series, Gryphon Antileon, Ref Monos
Cables: Transp Ref (with XL)...so probably 8-10 yrs old...nearly any SC or IC will run $750 bucks to $2K no matter the length

I think one could build a killer SOTA rig with well selected components, a few choice internal upgrades of resistors or capacitors to ensure greater reliability...and spend a (small) fraction of retail for what either they originally cost, or what equivalent cost would be today.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
A couple of years ago, we did a phono-stage shootout at our club - the Pacific Northwest Audio Society. One of the winners was the $100 diy Hagerman phono stage run off batteries.

Jim Hagerman is designing a second version - the Bugle 2 as a Kickstarter project. If it's better than the original Bugle, this will be the best $100 you've ever spent on vinyl. For $500, you get a fully assembled and tested Elite unit!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1907446723/bugle2-a-diy-phono-preamp

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I was just thinking, the other day, what for $5,000 today, you can get for a full 7.1-channel home theater surround sound system. ...Including the display.

...Simply out of this world as compared to only few years ago!
Eventually I'll start a separate thread on that one...

...Yeah, a $3,000 one, and a $6,000 one, then a $9,000 one.
...All within the 'frugal' aspect of the monetary equation.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I recently listened to the Eminent Technology LFT-8b hybrid line-source loudspeakers. Man, I don't know how they can sell them for $2,500 per pair. Just buying good magnets for assembling the line-source tweeter and midrange alone would cost that.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Gary,

I have very fond memories of the Eminent Technology hybrid line source technology when I heard a pair more than 20 years ago. They needed a lot of amplifier power. I do not remember the model designation of the one I heard. Does the one you heard also need a lot of power.

Sam

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Gary,
Two folks who have reappeared since you started this thread back in 2013 are Andrew Jones who has moved to ELAC and is doing marvelous things with his $500/pr and under speakers, and Peter Mednick who has resurrected Audio Alchemy with some great bargain products.

Larry

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Wow, that is Super Inexpensive! :cool:

Bob, you are awesome.

While the Magnepan 20.7s are one of the few speakers that I've heard that defy a speakers usual capacity to reveal a system for its true inner worth... I do genuinely love them almost as much for their complete honesty as much as I do for the love they then give back when playing music. That is if you set them up right.

I've been lucky enough to have some wonderful speakers at home lately including the Tune Animas and the Harbeth 40.2s. Both are true music lovers final destination speakers but for very different reasons.

All three (along with the Maggie 20.7s) fulfill that line... you complete me! Well in spirit if not in reality.

But in the realm of more serious budget restraints these are obviously not really realistic contenders.

So I'll add one more speaker... the Harbeth 30.1s, just completely magic if paired with the right amp. Sure there are constraints, they need pairing with gear that just doesn't leave their port too revealed, but they hesitate less when it just comes to playing music more than most speakers I've heard. Maybe not for everyone or indeed for every room but if they are for you then they can be a near ideal balance of musicality and a kind of spirited integrity. Loving the Harbeth 30.1s quite a lot!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Heco Direkt for 2700 quid. IMO tops Maggies in the value for money, and easy to set up (can even be set up in a bathroom space). Runs on 10 - 25w SETs

Carts - Hana SL (500 quid), Audio Technica ART 9

Tonearm - Based on what I have heard from people and not compared, used FR 64, SME 3012r, origin live and Eminent linear trackers

Dac - ifi USB or used Lampi Atlantic (not heard either), but prices and heritage makes me comfortable with putting them here.

Used bel canto amp for high power, used electrocompaniet, there was another 50w class A from UK that LL21 had recommended, and there are many low priced SETs in the used market for valves

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Heco Direkt for 2700 quid. IMO tops Maggies in the value for money, and easy to set up (can even be set up in a bathroom space). Runs on 10 - 25w SETs

Carts - Hana SL (500 quid), Audio Technica ART 9

Tonearm - Based on what I have heard from people and not compared, used FR 64, SME 3012r, origin live and Eminent linear trackers

Dac - ifi USB or used Lampi Atlantic (not heard either), but prices and heritage makes me comfortable with putting them here.

Used bel canto amp for high power, used electrocompaniet, there was another 50w class A from UK that LL21 had recommended, and there are many low priced SETs in the used market for valves

The second hand 50-watt Class A amp i recommended is the Forte 4. One of my all-time favorites from many years ago. Probably could be found for a few hundred these days.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The Accuphase C200 preamp. I own two and both have been updated. It is a dual mono design with bells and whistles that no longer exist with newer preamps. If they made a similar preamp today...easily 5 figures. I also own two P300 amplifiers,one is updated and again many features that are no longer offered.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing